• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance Difference Between Thermalright SP94 & Zalman CNPS-7000-CU/AL-CU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Currently having a Zalman 7000cu on my ic7-max3 [email protected] 1.6v. Thinking of changin it to SP-94.

Anyway these are my reading.

Ambient 30
System Idle 36 Load 37
CPU Idle 53 Load(priming) 66

I have the Zalman Al-Cu and the cooling I get with this whisper quiet fan is a major plus. I get 32 idle, 40-45 load, and I don't even hear it over my 4 case fans. The Zalman fan is set on full speed.

I'm currently running my 2.8 Prescott with a 7000cu only (!), idles around 36, tops around 52. No case fans, ducts stuff or nuffin else.

Just a prescott in a *cough* craptec (chieftec) case DX something tower, with my brand new 7000cu.

Room temps at 21 c's.

No-one walking into my apartment can hear this baby running at all... doubt you could achieve the same result with an SP-94 and low noise 92 mm.

Just for the heck of it, I'll check and see if I can get my job to sponsor an SP94... My Smartcooler 92 mm fans @ 1500 rpm should do the trick.

Cheers, Flix

Cheers all you guys, you rock :D

I never thought I would get so much input into my queries and it has been so enlightening and useful.

Plenty to think about and consider between the two and all your input has been ace.

Cheers again, I appreciate it :)

N803 said:

I guess if you want the absolute best you should get the SP-94 and take the noise but if you want to get pretty close with virtually no noise the 7000Cu is a very good choice.

You say "and take the noise" but what it comes down to is what kind of fan you use. Just because you have a SP-94 doesn't neccessary mean you have to use a tornado 92mm. You could easily get a lownoised highquality fan and get good cfm without having the noise.

I just have to state again that I think the Zalman 7000Cu is a really good buy, but I will always say that SP-94 is better.

Perre I totally agree with your your first sentence, it's totally up to you to pick the best compromise between noise and performance.

As for the SP-94 being always better, I can't tell. It seems to me that only a side by side test would be a fair comparison.

Cheers guys :D You're spoiling me ;)

archilochus - What can I say? Thanks a million :D Shame it is a 4 pin as speed monitoring won't be available but if I recall correctly, if I attach it to a fan controller, I should be able to keep it on a 4 pin but have a 3 pin for speed monitoring in the BIOS.

So far it seems to be highest performance - Thermalright against lowest noise - Zalman. To be honest, I am using a 36dB fan at the moment on my CPU heatsink and i've got 4 case fans as well so whilst I want something quiet, anything which is the same or quieter than my current setup would be great.

I agree that it would be good to see both in a side by side comparion but from what I am reading, there is probably not too much in it.

Cheers guys for the assistance :D I shall try and post back when i've chosen and bought the new HSF and had time to test my setup following the new cooler installation to let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Back