• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Permanent Marker to color in drive plates?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicrain

Well I just colored my floppy black and here is how it looks

blackfloppy.JPG

Next will be my cdrom and cheap 8x burner :) I am putting the 3rd drive (DVD) into another computer.

Do you think permanent markers are good for drive plates or is there something I should know first?

Last edited:
Well, you should know that permenant marker is not permenant. It lasts a long time, but it isn't permenant. I'm not worried about your floppy so much as your optical drives. Continous pressing of the eject button might ware down the marker after a while.

Of course, at that point you just color it back in, rofl.

You can get a much shinier(if you work for it), more even, and overall nicer finish with paint, but I say if you're fine with marker, go for it!

I'd advise against using marker driveface plates especailly since it can rub off onto your hands and get on your preiphrials, I'd say just go with paint, it looks better and it isn't terribly expensive...

SlowChemical

Also... it fades in sunlight, but suppose since none of us have seen that in several years it won't be a prob ;)

I'm not sure... but ain't none of that awful stuff gonna contact my pearly white skin! ;)

black floppy = how much? can get one locally for $14... Better than creating a mess.. If you can stand I got another technique that works. RIT dye. Its more of a flat finish but it works. Rit can be found at walmart or a craft store for less than a sharpie sometimes. Be sure to get the cold kind. If you boil the dye then you risk the chance of melting your bezels. I know this since I have done it. But it was an experiment to see if itd work. Try it on an old floppy bezel first. Its as about as permanent as black colored plastic once its done.

UPDATE: After 2 days of thinking, I decided to color in my 2 cdroms :)

Heres some pics..

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

wood3.jpg

wood4.jpg

As you can see it lacks that shine that paint would give, but it will do for now :)

You will find that with most markers on PET plastics will change colour..Black will slowly over a few months turn to a slight purpley colour

I used 2 markers, a fat Marks-a-Lot, and a skinny Sharpie.

My only gripe so far is that there are a few white spots I can't reach. You can't really see on the pictures but if you look closely there are thin (and I mean really thin) white lines left. I need a REALLY skinny marker to color those.

Back