• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 960T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavosaur

Registered
Just bought a thuban off Newegg. Amd's best CPU ever IMHO. Can't wait to unlock and oc! Get em while you can for $125!!!

Oh yeah! My rig:
M4A79XTD EVO
Phenom II 550 unlocked to x3 oc'ed to 3.4 GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
XFX HD 5850 oc'ed 775/1125
Samsung SSD 830 128GB
WD Black 500GB
X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

I'm guessing that cooler may hold you back from a good high overclock.

What is the make and model of your case? If it's wide enough it may be a good idea to think about getting a bigger CPU cooler.

I know, I know. It was very cheap. I'm thing about getting a Corsair h80. What do you think? i know the hyper 212 is a good choice too not being liquid cooling.

The hyper 212+ would not be a bad choice but if your case is not at least 7.5" wide you won't be able to go with one of those tall 120mm fan-based tower coolers like that as it will be too tall to be able to get the case side panel back on. That's why I asked you what make and model case you have so I could research that for you. The H80 would be an even better choice if you can afford it and have a 120mm fan spot in the back, side or top to mount the radiator and fan.

I've never been on a forum before and you are amazing man!!! Thank you so much for responding!!! My case is a cooler master elite 335. I want to upgrade to a Corsair 600T but that may be a while. I love the cable management in that case a lot!

Amazing? I don't know how I rate that but thanks. It's the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.

Your case is 7.6" wide so it should accommodate the Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. I would definitely add a 120mm front fan pushing air toward the rear of the case. Good case ventilation is important to keeping temps down.

I have 2 120mm fans. 1 intake and 1 exhaust. I have 3 more fans coming to replace the 2 I have and add 1 on the side pushing air on to my gpu. And you're welcome for the compliment!

You know I would think twice about adding a fan to the side panel. My experience is that they disrupt the front to back flow pattern in the case and actually do more harm to temps than good. If you have a hole for a top panel fan I would put one there instead.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 92
My current case doesn't. Should I just have the intake push more then? By hooking it direct to the psu?

My current case doesn't. Should I just have the intake push more then? By hooking it direct to the psu?

That's what I would do, as long as the noise it makes is not too obnoxious. Tuck as many wires and cables out of the air flow path as you can to remove obstructions. Tie them up, pull them out of the way, stuff them behind hard drive cages, etc. Zip ties come in handy for this. Overclockers call this "cable management".

Great! thanks a lot man!! I'll post what happens after i get all my new stuff!!!

Thanks Dlaw!!! I've wanted a thuban for a long time now and I am super stoked!!! I bought it off Newegg Yesterday and it was sold out 30 min later! I am a lucky dog!

An 1100T would be nice but I think it would be over kill for what I do which is gaming. But if I'm lucky I can get 2 free cores out of this bad boy and know they will be there if I need them. Super stoked for the Thuban IMC! I will FINALLY be able to run my 1600Mhz ram at 1600Mhz or faster!!!:attn::

It unlocked to a 6 core!!!! Running prime95 right now. Everything is still on auto in the bios and my temps are 47c. Hot dog!!!! Gonna get a better cooler though and I'm sure it will go down a degree or 2 after the arctic silver 5 cures.

That temp I said was actually wrong. That is the cpu temp in PC probe II. Which is about a 16 degree difference. I'm running prime95 right now with it x4 oc'ed to 3.4 @ 1.2vcore and core temps are 26*C. The damn thing idles @ 18*C with cool and quiet off! I can't believe this thing!!! Best purchase I think I've ever made!!!

I am perplexed.
CPU still registers temp after being unlocked?

Maybe I am just too used to the X2's being unlocked and losing temp monitoring.

Depends what he is monitering his temps with. Odds are he is looking at the socket temp not core temps.

Back