• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 960T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My last post I just had it as a 4 core. That's how I got the core temps. I never did look if it had core temps unlocked. Right now it's oc'ed to 3.8 @1.4 vcore and again no problems. I am gonna have a fun weekend!!! Time to play BF3 now!!!

What was the differential between CPU core temp and CPU (socket) temp? You need to keep that in mind now as when you unlock cores you will only have the socket temp to go by. Also, don't be surprised that your games don't run much better on 5 or 6 cores because I'm not sure there are any games yet that are so thoroughly multi-threaded that they can take advantage of more than four cores. A lot of gamers don't unlock cores 5 and 6 because of that and because they know they likely can get a higher overclock when using only four cores. Now if you were using your computer for something like AV rendering you could take advantage of those extra cores.

Actually, I think BF3 is one of the exceptions as far as multi-threading. I remember when I was running mine at x6, during loading screens and in *very* heavy fire on that game, my CPU load spiked to 100% on all cores pretty often. Other games, though, were a different story.

I got the same result. Oc'ed to 3.4 and unlocked. I can't believe how cool this thing stays at with my freezer 7pro. Under 40C!

4GHZ

I'm at 4 ghz!!! Stayin pretty cool. below 50*C. All 6 cores unlocked. I love this cpu. :clap: Vcore is 1.4, cpu-nb is 2600mhz @ 1.25 volts. HT is 2600mhz also.

Thanks BeepBeep!!! Can't wait to liquid cool this thing and see how far I can push it!!!

I have an issue with cpu-z not showing my cpu-nb clock correctly. It shows the HT at 2600 mhz so the cpu-nb has to be the same or higher right? But it shows 2000 mhz. Maybe a bug?

If the CPUNB is frequency is lower than the HT Link frequency I would not think it would boot at all.

I know trents! Not really worried about it though since everything is running smooth. Been playin BF3 all day @ 4 ghz and not a single bsod!!! Temps are great too! Mid 40s!

Got an oc going now that's pretty mild and I was wondering about it. I brought my bus speed up to 240. Does that even effect performance in any way? I know it changes the base frequency but does improve performance? If cpu, cpunb and ht link are the same, does a high bus speed do anything? I know about the need to use it for non black edition/locked multiplier cpu's to oc. I read some post's that trents said it makes it more complicated to oc with it so I was just wondering.

I used a combo of Frequency and Multiplier for my overclock, and it helped me keep voltages down, reducing temps. I think it has a lot to do with your mainboard, though.

Using the fsb basically does the same as the CPU multiplier but when you raise the fsb it in turn raises a whole load of other things making the overclocking more complicated, it increases the HT and NB but also increases the ram frequency which is getting its base clock from the fsb also and this is where it becomes a bit tricky, trying to keep you're ram at a good clock speed as well as you're CPU.

Thanks Dlaw and keny! That's what I presumed. I've read about it keeping voltages down so I guess I got to sit down and find the good 'ol sweet spot for temps and clockspeed. Thanks for the info guys!!!

Back