• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II x4 965 BE, stock voltage a bit high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balyn

Registered
I've had my answer with the question below, although I have another one further down!

Hello there!

I just have a quick question here.
At stock settings my CPU Voltage is at 1.4750v which I think is kinda high for stock. But my question is; Is this a manufacturer "problem"?

There is absolutely no problems running the CPU and I've only overclocked it a little bit, to 3,6GHz but then again, I feel like the stock voltage is a bit high and that's why I'm asking here, as a second question, is it anything to worry about?

Last edited:
So-called "stock" voltage depends on the particular cpu and how the bios is setup to read the CPU VID reference voltage and apply it as Vcore. Lower the CPU Vcore if you wish and see how things work out.
RGone...

There is no one "stock voltage" setting for a given model of CPU but what you see is a range within any CPU model line. Your's is kind of on the high end of the range. I'm betting you could get a modest overclock out of it and never touch the CPU voltage. Or, on the other hand you could probably keep it at stock speeds and get by with a lower CPU voltage.

Thanks for answer.
I've had some trouble with this voltage with 3,8Ghz though. I get bluescreens after a full day of gaming

Oh, if you've overclocked it to 3.8 ghz you will need that much voltage. Have you done in serious stress testing (with the Prime95 blend test) along with temp monitoring (HWMonitor)? If you have not done so, please download and install these two standard overclocking tools along with CPU-z.

Balyn, I remember your last post about being stuck at 3.6. Have you at any point run prime for 2 hours to see where you are stable at? Have you tried to get it stable at 3.7? Also have you tried lowing the Cpu V at stock clocks to see where you were stable?

Hi!

I ran Prime95 with "Small FFTs" setting for 8h last night, without any crash at 3779GHz
That's when playing around with Multiplier and Bus speed

209.99x18.0

We generally use Prime Blend as a stability test, though 8 hours of small ffts may be enough.

Ya the blend test will use the ram as well gives a better picture of overall stability.

Gonna bring this thread up again with an update about the latest overclocking at 3780Mhz.
I've haven't had a single bluescreen so far, so I guess that's good.

But as said before, and in my old thread: If I get over 3800 I start getting bluescreens and I can't really understand why. If I want to keep going with the 1.4750v Voltage, I should be safe at this Mhz as it have turned out, but if I want to go higher, should I turn up the voltage?

And now if I should, how many minutes/hours should I run Prime95 before increasing the multiplier/bus speed a little bit more to check for stability?
My goal is reaching like 4.0Ghz or even 4.2Ghz

Balyn, every setup is different, there are factors why one person can run 4.1 at 1.45 v core and you can only run 3780 at 1.47. I'm using myself as an example, my 955be on Air has been running for a week now 24/7 at 4113 205*20 @ 1.45v. I believe I have a really good cpu for starters, it's been tested stable at 4.3 2 hours prime and I've benched it at almost 4.6. I have it on a pretty good motherboard, good power supply and a case with really good air flow. You can try pushing harder and giving it more V core but I believe your board is letting you down. The section which provides the Cpu with power isn't very strong and also lacks heatsinks. You may kill the board if you keep pushing it but that's your choice.

Balyn, every setup is different, there are factors why one person can run 4.1 at 1.45 v core and you can only run 3780 at 1.47. I'm using myself as an example, my 955be on Air has been running for a week now 24/7 at 4113 205*20 @ 1.45v. I believe I have a really good cpu for starters, it's been tested stable at 4.3 2 hours prime and I've benched it at almost 4.6. I have it on a pretty good motherboard, good power supply and a case with really good air flow. You can try pushing harder and giving it more V core but I believe your board is letting you down. The section which provides the Cpu with power isn't very strong and also lacks heatsinks. You may kill the board if you keep pushing it but that's your choice.

Well, This board was recommended for me by people on Sweclockers because of "Good overcloking opportunities". That's why I bought it.
Also, at the place I bought it, Inet.se every review said "Very good board for overclocking" and similar comments.

So you believe if I keep overclocking, with the current vcore(and if increasing) it will hurt my board?

In your first post about being stuck at 3.6 2 of us made the point that your board may not be up to the task. You should look at this link and click on the MSI AM3+ boards look what it shows for your board. If you look at the picture of your board I highlighted the section that provides the cpu with power. Motherboards with good overclocking capability, have more power phases in the section, yours is 4+1 and they also have heatsinks in that area. I'll also provide a pic of the board I use, for reference.

So you believe if I keep overclocking, with the current vcore(and if increasing) it will hurt my board?
I have tried to push on a lower end board before I learned what was really needed for overclocking and had two boards burn up on me. Is it definitely going to happen, no, but it could. Seeing smoke and hearing shorting sounds coming from your pc isn't a fun experience.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    151.2 KB · Views: 915
  • 1a.PNG
    1a.PNG
    144.2 KB · Views: 969
Well, would it make a difference if I got some heatsinks for those thingys I don't remember the name of?
If there is heatsinks you can buy that'll say

Yay for being screwed over!

Last edited:
Cool. I always appreciate the help I get.
I got one last question though; In your opinion, should I even bother overclock with my motherboard? I mean, running 3400 or 3800 doesn't make that big of a difference and will only reduce the life time of my cpu/motherboard.

So yeah, in your opinion; Is it worth it?

Edit: The only chipset cooler I could find on the sites I order from in Sweden is Akasa AK-210 Chipset cooler

The chipset cooler isn't what Mandrake was referring to. It's these

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...m_x_12mm_-_10_Pack.html?tl=g40c16&id=3Y5rqqCu
They stick on to the VRM the black square things in the last pic of your board.
After that you may need a fan to blow on them to help cool.
As far as your current OC goes I haven't seen any reference to the temps you are currently getting when you run Prime95.
That's what will be the deciding factor for keeping the settings or not.

The chipset cooler isn't what Mandrake was referring to. It's these

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...m_x_12mm_-_10_Pack.html?tl=g40c16&id=3Y5rqqCu
They stick on to the VRM the black square things in the last pic of your board.
After that you may need a fan to blow on them to help cool.
As far as your current OC goes I haven't seen any reference to the temps you are currently getting when you run Prime95.
That's what will be the deciding factor for keeping the settings or not.

Ah right, my bad! ^^

When running prime my max cpu temp was 55c under 8h test.
I don't know about chipset/those others, ram and what not though.

One person at Sweclockers, answering a guy that's asking pretty much the same question as I did, WITH the same CPU and motherboard said this:

"You do not need extra cooling when the FET is soldered to a large ground plane / cooling surface and spread the heat across the motherboard. If you're gonna overclock it extremely you may want to get an extra cooler though".

Last edited:
Back