• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X2 555 BE on M2N SLI DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paethos

I read that AM2 boards have been getting BIOS updates for newer chips. I went ahead and bought a AM3 chip, the newish Phenom II X2 555 BE, hoping I could get it to work. First of all, is it possible? It seems so.

I managed to get it to boot after I updated the BIOS, powered down, and replaced the cpu. It booted into Windows and it was noticably loading faster, detecting hardware and whatnot. It went for about a minute, until I tried using the Start menu to open a browser. It partly froze where the Start menu and other things wouldn't work, but I could still move my mouse. So I powered down, not wanting to damage my CPU, and it wouldn't boot after. Not too discouraged, I unplugged it, drained the battery, cleared the CMOS, and went to bed. I woke up today and it booted to BIOS, so I had another shot at dinking around.

This time I wanted to be sure that I didn't overvolt, although undervolting won't really help it boot any better. So I set the multipliers correctly, 200 x 16, reduced the HT to x3 in case there were some conflicts, and I think enabled C1E support. I set the voltage to .975, since I read it varies from .8 to 1.4. It didn't even boot to windows this time.

I just read on a few websites that surprisingly it runs at a v 1.4. It's way higher than I thought. Also, I need to Ungang my memory I believe, as other AM3 chips have had a conflict there as well. I read something about not being able to use PCIE video, but I really don't understand how that factors in, if at all, to this specific CPU.

My next BIOS boot, I plan on enabling C1E support, unganging memory, 200 x 16, HT x4, and upping the voltage to 1.375, then seeing what happens. If any of you have any advice from your vast knowledge of this board, it'd help a great deal.

Could I potentially fry my CPU using it on an incompatible board? What would be the conditions for this? I'm trying to proceed carefully, so any advice on damage prevention would be great too, thanks.

first off :welcome: using a cpu with an incorrect mobo can do damage to your cpu and mobo. I don't see what your problem is as ur mobo should work fine with an am3 chip. I would have gotten a newer mobo to be safe instead. Depending on how old your mobo is, you can rma it get your money back and buy a better mobo.

The beauty of it is it's a 5 year old board. There's no way I could RMA it. I wanted an upgrade I could use in future boards as well as my current, and this cpu was perfect in every possible way. I just need to get it to work now.

well so much for that idea. I liked ur possible solution that you were going to try. you definitely should do that. then if that either works or doesnt work come back

I made a lot of changes in my BIOS to voltages and Enabling things. I moved my HD to SATA 2 because I read something that SATA1 doesnt work sometimes with AM2 boards and AM3 chips. But anyhow, I encountered a bad problem where my computer won't boot Windows. It loads it, but right before it initializes it, it came up with something saying Isass.exe wouldn't load, and it had a bunch of asian text, probably the error messaging. Any idea what's up with that?

Back