• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pics of applied thermal compound on 3900x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo5111

pics of applied thermal compound on 3900x CPU i mean the way you apply it would be differnt because of 12 core vs 8 core die size?

You would apply it the same way you prefer to apply it. It doesn't matter that it has 12 or 8 cores....

But if people want to share pics of how they do it, would be pretty cool. (cpu any?)

Don't have picture but I made this for you.

Yellow is the gold aarow I'm the corner.
Gray is the ihs
Red lines are how I do my thermal paste. 20190816_230444.jpg

so most important area to make sure it gets to is the 3 big squares what cpu is that?

3900x.

Little ones are your chaplets. The big one everything else.

Note the gold arrow when you are putting the lines on

Chaplets... :rofl:

Just a bb to pea sized dot in the middle is fine. The pressure from mounting pushes it to all the right places. I typically apply with the larger dot in the middle and four small dots in the corners. Making a line over the cores in any cpu really wont make a difference.

Last edited:
I do the same as Earth dog. Mid-sized pea in the middle and a very small pea 2/3 of the way to each corner.

When I take my cooler off it usually looks like full or almost full coverage. Sometimes there are some little areas that don't have paste. If a spot was "missed" it will be a little wedge along the edge, between my smaller dots (edge/middle). Sometimes there is a little tiny bit of overflow.

Push out is a pretty normal thing no matter the way the paste is applied.
I've always used a spread method. I start with a line down the middle and spread from there to the edges.
This method leave a small mound in the middle which helps ensure air doesn't get trapped. I do the same with naked chips.
But with testing leaving the line, a dot, an X ect, as long as there is enough paste you "should" have some push out.
When you see push out, that's actually good indicating paste has spread thoroughly across the IHS plate.
If lapping IHS plate and cooler surfaces, you should be able to use slightly less thermal interface material and have much better mating surfaces.

Back