• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pinmod Questions, need a few answers please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
So far, all the modding I've done on my Tbred and Barton procs I've done with the L3 bridges, with the old style OGPA package. Now that they've changed up to the newer package, I'm thinking of doing my multi changing by the pinmod method, if I can have a few questions answered.:) I will be buying at least 2 procs soon to replace the aging xp2000 pally's in my A7M266-D and may also be replacing the 2 Tbred A 1700's in my K7D.

1. Can you just connect the holes in the mobo socket like they show at ocinside.de without messing with the L3 bridges? If so, how does it bypass the hard coding of the L3 bridges on the ones that are connected? For an example: The Barton 2500 has all 5 L3 bridges connected, so how does doing the pinmod for a 16 or 17 multi unconnect the connected L3 bridges.

2. Is there a pinmod to connect the last L5 bridge to enable SMP?. I know that it's not important and that you can just clean out the laser pit on that bridge and fill with conductive ink, but I'm just curious.

3. Which pins need to be connected to change the default fsb from 166 back to 133? ocinside.de doesn't show this on their guide as far as I remember. Again, it's not a must have, but it would be a nice bit of info to know.

4. Has anyone tried a mobile XP2400 on a SMP board or a single proc board and gotten it to work? I'm seriously considering using them because they are Barton procs with a native 266 fsb and a low (1.45v vcore) default vcore voltage.

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions.:)

I have no experience with wire modding...

1. but I'm pretty sure that all you need to do is to do the wire mod, and you won't have to mess with the bridges.

2. don't think there was a wire mod for smp, although I'm not sure about this.

3. I don't think there is a wire mod for the 166/133 fsb problem...

4. there's one person who's going to use a mobile XP chip in a single CPU processor, you might want to follow his progress:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241979

maybe the guys like cmcquistion at SMP might be able to help you a lot better than the people here? not sure.

Hopefully you get some answers better than mine.

Last edited:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=238388

Seems pretty promising actually- low voltage bartons at 2400+ mult and fsb. I'm positive the duallie chipset would ignore the powerstep. And I'm positive the packaging is the same and that the L5 mod would work.

PS. I never figured out why people complain ablout the new packaging. Connecting bridges is still very easy.

Thanks for the info, you guys.:) I went and posted in the thread you linked to, shiyan; told him to keep us informed of his progress.:D

Arkaine, I haven't even seen a new style proc yet, so I'm not sure how hard it will be to do my bridge blowing so I was making a backup plan. BTW, newegg just lowered the price on the mobile xp2400 Bartons to $85 from $102 this morning. I'm so tempted to order one right now.

Socket wire mods are way safer than bridge-blowing in my mind. Seen too many dead tbreds after someone tried to use a battery to blow bridges.... But connecting is still easy. You just have to fill in the pit instead of connect the dots. The new look is just that- new and futuristic. You can see the traces.

I burnt my fingers a tiny bit, and also blew off a piece of my 2400+ trying to blow bridges when I was still quite new here (well, I guess I'm still kind of new here :p ) trying the bridge blowing using electricity method. I didn't have a helper, and ended up letting the two needle tips touch, which isn't that hard to do.

so I'd definitely recommend the socket method. much safer.

muddocktor said:
So far, all the modding I've done on my Tbred and Barton procs I've done with the L3 bridges, with the old style OGPA package. Now that they've changed up to the newer package, I'm thinking of doing my multi changing by the pinmod method, if I can have a few questions answered.:)

1. Can you just connect the holes in the mobo socket like they show at ocinside.de without messing with the L3 bridges? If so, how does it bypass the hard coding of the L3 bridges on the ones that are connected? For an example: The Barton 2500 has all 5 L3 bridges connected, so how does doing the pinmod for a 16 or 17 multi unconnect the connected L3 bridges.

2. Is there a pinmod to connect the last L5 bridge to enable SMP?. I know that it's not important and that you can just clean out the laser pit on that bridge and fill with conductive ink, but I'm just curious.

3. Which pins need to be connected to change the default fsb from 166 back to 133? ocinside.de doesn't show this on their guide as far as I remember. Again, it's not a must have, but it would be a nice bit of info to know.

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions.:)

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm
Link to Circuits article for ??#1, has to do with changing the "resistance ratio" of the signal circuits. But when you use the pin mod you make a direct connection, (R1 or R2 then go to zero ohms), and the only way to change back to HI or LO is to undo the pin mod...even the bios can't...nothing can...cause the "resistance ratio" can't be changed once either R1 or R2 = zero...hope you can see that.

Link to FSB Sense article to find which pins connect to the FSB Sense L12 bridges. Then you'd do pin mod/s to nearby Ground/LO or Vcore/HI pins or sockets...have to check the pinout diagrams in the datasheet.

Don't believe anyone has found the pin ( if it exists) for the SMP rightmost L5 bridge.
John C.

ok... if you dont already know...

1) how the pinmods work. the pinmods are just like blowing or connecting bridges. when the bridge is blown, a certain pin becomes inactive or does nothing. when the bridge is connected, the pin is connected to the other pin. so pin mods do the same thing exept you are not using the bridges to connect or disconnect the pins, you are using the pins themselves. pinmods are by far the safest way to do it.

2) yes... but you will have to find a site that is based around doing pinmods.

3) yes... "

4)there isnt much difference in the mobile processors core from the regular processor... the low core voltage of the mobile might make the system unstable... but i dont know.

-AcidBurn-

AcidBurn52383 said:

1) how the pinmods work. the pinmods are just like blowing or connecting bridges. when the bridge is blown, a certain pin becomes inactive or does nothing. when the bridge is connected, the pin is connected to the other pin. so pin mods do the same thing exept you are not using the bridges to connect or disconnect the pins, you are using the pins themselves. pinmods are by far the safest way to do it.
-AcidBurn-

Don't take this the wrong way, but pinmods are not just like blowing or connecting bridges. Check out the Circuits article at link we posted in our 1st reply. then look at circuits E (default HI) and G (default LO). the signal voltage is taken off between the 10K resistor and the L3 bridge, labeled "Ln"...and that's where the "signal circuit pin" is connected too. So you can see that closing an open bridge connects the signal circuit to Ground "thru a 1K resistor". Now when you do an equivalent "pinmod", you connect the signal circuit pin "directly" to a nearby Ground pin...no 1K resistor.

Now both operations reset a default HI to a LO, but doing so via bridge/s allows the bios to change it back to a HI again. Doing it via the pinmod directly to ground "locks" the reset LO...nothing can ever reset that signal to HI again, the pinmod must be removed.

It's a subtle difference, but suppose you have a mobo/bios that can reset the 1st 4 Multiplier signal circuits but not the 5th which controls whether you can access the low or high Multiplier ranges, (there are many such mobos). Then if you pinmod all 5 signal circuits to set and test a Multiplier, (a very common operation using the "pinmod guide"), you have to remove the hs/fan and cpu to make and test all other settings. But if you only pinmod the 5th signal circuit to access the range that the mobo is unable to access, then you can change to all the settings in that range via the bios.

That's a significant shortcoming of a 5 pin pinmod when it's not needed in a system with a mobo that can change the 1st 4 signals.

But you are correct that working on bridges is subject to the possibility of damaging the cpu.
John C.

Back