• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i got mine in on sunday, finally... i see why it took so long coming from ingram. which makes it so much worse if you ask me.

did a quick run through of the phone, set it up checked to see if i could change some of the settings how i liked, everything looked good and snappy so i factory reset to do a real set up with my sim and everything

it wont stay connected to a mobile network....

it'll connect to 4g and then try to connect to 5g, fail, go back to 4g and repeat.
i'm fairly certain this is a sim card issue and not a phone issue but i guess thats to be seen
working cell phone sales i used to see this a lot so i always encouraged people to get new sims when getting a new phone, that and i couldnt sell them a new sim outside of the initial plan or upgrade activation process and they would have to go to an actual carrier store to get one. I am on a byod plan and paid for this phone outright so i didnt get a new sim from any one because of that of course. i just need to go into town and get one from verizon but having started this new job i just really dont feel like it at the end of the day really

man after the hassle i've had to go through to get this phone, and get it working, makes this experience thoroughly tainted. I'm tempted to say eff it and send it back at this point

i got mine in on sunday, finally... i see why it took so long coming from ingram. which makes it so much worse if you ask me.

did a quick run through of the phone, set it up checked to see if i could change some of the settings how i liked, everything looked good and snappy so i factory reset to do a real set up with my sim and everything

it wont stay connected to a mobile network....

it'll connect to 4g and then try to connect to 5g, fail, go back to 4g and repeat.
i'm fairly certain this is a sim card issue and not a phone issue but i guess thats to be seen
working cell phone sales i used to see this a lot so i always encouraged people to get new sims when getting a new phone, that and i couldnt sell them a new sim outside of the initial plan or upgrade activation process and they would have to go to an actual carrier store to get one. I am on a byod plan and paid for this phone outright so i didnt get a new sim from any one because of that of course. i just need to go into town and get one from verizon but having started this new job i just really dont feel like it at the end of the day really

man after the hassle i've had to go through to get this phone, and get it working, makes this experience thoroughly tainted. I'm tempted to say eff it and send it back at this point

That REALLY shouldn't happen. I only just found out there are TWO different kinds of 5G: mmWave and sub6. "Sub6" as in "Sub-6ghz". Most pixel phones come with (the cheaper) Sub6. And the mmWave phones are more expensive.

So if you actually have an mmWave phone... it should never drop down to 4G... it should drop down to sub6 if there's a problem.

I only know this because I dropped my 4a and now I have a 6a. Both that... and the regular 6... use Sub6 unless you paid more for your phone from a specific carrier who ordered mmWave for their phones.

So far so good with the 6a. It hasn't done any weird things in my pocket... yet.

No 5g around me. My 7 works great. But really no different than any of my other phones.

That REALLY shouldn't happen. I only just found out there are TWO different kinds of 5G: mmWave and sub6. "Sub6" as in "Sub-6ghz". Most pixel phones come with (the cheaper) Sub6. And the mmWave phones are more expensive.

So if you actually have an mmWave phone... it should never drop down to 4G... it should drop down to sub6 if there's a problem.

I only know this because I dropped my 4a and now I have a 6a. Both that... and the regular 6... use Sub6 unless you paid more for your phone from a specific carrier who ordered mmWave for their phones.

So far so good with the 6a. It hasn't done any weird things in my pocket... yet.

well the new SIM helped it, i was like archer, there was no 5g around me the problem i was having earlier was when i went into town.
since there wasnt any 5g around me i changed my plan to a lower unlimited the mainly focuses on 4g but will connect to 5g (non UW) service if there is any...

and then last week 5g popped up all over this hipster farming community...

i dont get it, this place has more options for service like this than you can shake a stick at. theres like 4 ISPs here (well 5 now with 5g service), two of which are fiber to the home, one is gig cable. i cant even tell what the 4th is, it might be point to point, it might be cable... hell it could be ISDN for all i know i just see it out there.

i mean it is one of those hipster farm towns where the property prices and rents are super high for no good reason and there are extra privileged people all over willing to drop $12 (+$3 bottle deposit) on a gallon of milk every week.
its a strange progressively backwards place with more money than brains

i dont know how the hell i wound up here

well the new SIM helped it, i was like archer, there was no 5g around me the problem i was having earlier was when i went into town.
since there wasnt any 5g around me i changed my plan to a lower unlimited the mainly focuses on 4g but will connect to 5g (non UW) service if there is any...

and then last week 5g popped up all over this hipster farming community...

i dont get it, this place has more options for service like this than you can shake a stick at. theres like 4 ISPs here (well 5 now with 5g service), two of which are fiber to the home, one is gig cable. i cant even tell what the 4th is, it might be point to point, it might be cable... hell it could be ISDN for all i know i just see it out there.

i mean it is one of those hipster farm towns where the property prices and rents are super high for no good reason and there are extra privileged people all over willing to drop $12 (+$3 bottle deposit) on a gallon of milk every week.
its a strange progressively backwards place with more money than brains

i dont know how the hell i wound up here

That's why I moved to Marseille. It's like a throwback to the 1990s. Just before the world got all WEIRD.

SHOCKINGLY devoid of hipsters. Not a single... person walking down the street dressed as Robin Hood.

Pretty good 5G coverage, too! There was an option for me to pay more for 5G (I had to spend 10 bucks on a new eSim). I declined... and it seems to be connecting to 5G anyway.

That's good business!

I've been running with 5g turned off on my 7pro because it was just too spotty with it on. It would drop off completely instead of easily dropping to lte. So just turned it off. (On TMobile)

I've been running with 5g turned off on my 7pro because it was just too spotty with it on. It would drop off completely instead of easily dropping to lte. So just turned it off. (On TMobile)
I just moved to TMobile after almost 20 years at Verizon... wish I never left. My 5G (on the other side of the same city as Janus, lol) was spotty and dropped too. I left it off for a week or so, but has been good since around mid-january. I guess they were building some new towers in our area(?)... maybe give it a whirl again if you haven't lately.

I just moved to TMobile after almost 20 years at Verizon... wish I never left. My 5G (on the other side of the same city as Janus, lol) was spotty and dropped too. I left it off for a week or so, but has been good since around mid-january. I guess they were building some new towers in our area(?)... maybe give it a whirl again if you haven't lately.

I made the same switch lol. Verizon was so expensive and kept getting more expensive.

Now I switched to T-Mobile and got my parents on my line for the same cost as vzw wanted for a non-unlimited plan. But now TMobile had another data breach. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

I made the same switch lol. Verizon was so expensive and kept getting more expensive.

Now I switched to T-Mobile and got my parents on my line for the same cost as vzw wanted for a non-unlimited plan. But now TMobile had another data breach. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

EVERYTHING in the States is a ripoff! :D

I'm paying like 13 bucks a month for my service. Granted I don't use a lot of data as I'm rarely NOT at home (writer and all that...) I think my plan gives me like 10 gigs a month or something?

EDIT: Nah... it's 100gigs a month.

When I am out... I'm generally not looking at YouTube videos. I'm at the beach or climbing a mountain or something. So I use a lot more of my camera than I use my data.

EVERYTHING in the States is a ripoff! :D

I'm paying like 13 bucks a month for my service. Granted I don't use a lot of data as I'm rarely NOT at home (writer and all that...) I think my plan gives me like 10 gigs a month or something?
Just so you know I pay a bit over $12 month here in Virginia with Tracfone on the Verizon network. :p

But I didn't come here to mention that, it just happened to be there right above my post. My first app on my old LG G6 phone was obsoleted by developers because the phone tops out at Android 8. It seems the baseline going forward will be Android 9 for major app updates. All my banking and credit card apps still work, but soon that may not be the case. So, I ordered a "like new" unlocked Pixel 7 from Amazon for $456 today. Got $200 off from my new VISA card in cash back bonus and with that and a $40 Amazon gift card balance applied, the net cost is only $216. Tracfone said it will work since it supports CDMA and VoLTE. They also said I can stay on the Verizon network with my prepaid plan for 60 days service for $24 and change, no upgrade is required. We'll see when it arrives tomorrow. :unsure:

Just so you know I pay a bit over $12 month here in Virginia with Tracfone on the Verizon network. :p

But I didn't come here to mention that, it just happened to be there right above my post. My first app on my old LG G6 phone was obsoleted by developers because the phone tops out at Android 8. It seems the baseline going forward will be Android 9 for major app updates. All my banking and credit card apps still work, but soon that may not be the case. So, I ordered a "like new" unlocked Pixel 7 from Amazon for $456 today. Got $200 off from my new VISA card in cash back bonus and with that and a $40 Amazon gift card balance applied, the net cost is only $216. Tracfone said it will work since it supports CDMA and VoLTE. They also said I can stay on the Verizon network with my prepaid plan for 60 days service for $24 and change, no upgrade is required. We'll see when it arrives tomorrow. :unsure:

That's BEAUTIFUL, man! :beer:

Yeah the way it works for app developers is that the target DEFINITELY isn't Android 9... the target SDK is whatever the latest Android O.S. is. Right now that would be Android 13. The reason your app stopped working is because the MINIMUM SDK has changed. This is likely due to support from a plugin or something requiring Android 9 or higher. For example... I could set the minimum version of my app (Due out March 15th if I don't have a stroke!) to Android 2 if I wanted... but then several of my plugins and layouts would prevent me from compiling.

Anyway... If you're going to be on Android... then Pixel's the smart way to go. 3 years (MINIMUM) of O.S. updates and 5 years minimum of security updates. (And you'll probably still get updates beyond that).

My screen on my Pixel 4a cracked and it was so expensive to get it repaired that it just made more sense to get a Pixel 6a (I'll have updates for as long as you do! :) )

Wish I had gotten a deal like yours!

Just got a 7 Pro. I was happy with my 5a, but ended up taking a deal with Costco and AT&T so my mom could get on my plan. Verizon Prepaid was a great deal for just me, but at this point makes more sense to do it this way (for a number of reasons I don't need to get into). Will let you all know what I think.

So, how's everyone liking their pixels? Looking like 8k or standard def?

My current phone is... Degrading at an accelerated rate. Been looking for a decent phone with an mSD slot and headphone jack, but I'm willing to drop those requirements before I kill this thing fully.

Waiting to see actual reviews on the global version of the Moto Edge 40 since it's rumored to drop soonish, but figured it's between that and a 7.

My current phone is... Degrading at an accelerated rate. Been looking for a decent phone with an mSD slot and headphone jack, but I'm willing to drop those requirements before I kill this thing fully.

Waiting to see actual reviews on the global version of the Moto Edge 40 since it's rumored to drop soonish, but figured it's between that and a 7.

Well... Let's do this the OCF way:

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 2.47.45 AM.png

Snadragon 8 Gen 2 is apparently the fastest... And Both the Samsung S23 and Oneplus 11 have that.

If I wasn't in it for the programming I'd probably go for the OnePlus 11...

Well... Let's do this the OCF way:

View attachment 361069

Snadragon 8 Gen 2 is apparently the fastest... And Both the Samsung S23 and Oneplus 11 have that.

If I wasn't in it for the programming I'd probably go for the OnePlus 11...

That's actually helpful.

The new Edge 40 has the SD 8 Geb 2 as well, one of he reasons I'm waiting. So it really comes down to when the North American version releases and how it compares to the P7.

That's BEAUTIFUL, man! :beer:

Yeah the way it works for app developers is that the target DEFINITELY isn't Android 9... the target SDK is whatever the latest Android O.S. is. Right now that would be Android 13. The reason your app stopped working is because the MINIMUM SDK has changed. This is likely due to support from a plugin or something requiring Android 9 or higher. For example... I could set the minimum version of my app (Due out March 15th if I don't have a stroke!) to Android 2 if I wanted... but then several of my plugins and layouts would prevent me from compiling.

Anyway... If you're going to be on Android... then Pixel's the smart way to go. 3 years (MINIMUM) of O.S. updates and 5 years minimum of security updates. (And you'll probably still get updates beyond that).

My screen on my Pixel 4a cracked and it was so expensive to get it repaired that it just made more sense to get a Pixel 6a (I'll have updates for as long as you do! :) )

Wish I had gotten a deal like yours!
Yeah, I did some research and Android 9 seems to be as low as they're going for major app updates. Too bad because my old LG G6 still runs great and has had no issues of any kind. I got it for $88 used about 5 years ago with a WiFi charger so I certainly got my money's worth. And the WiFi charger works on the Pixel 7. My guess is Android 9 was chosen since there are a lot of Samsung 8 phones still out there running that version.

My LG was cracked everywhere but worked fine. I think the plastic screen protector was keeping the screen together. The back was cracked also, but the case covered that up. I had several severe drops of the phone over the years, but it just kept working.

Anyway getting back to the Pixel 7, it is up and running on Verizon through Tracfone. The setup very quickly copied over all my music (750 titles), photos, and apps with no problems. I just had to spend time putting the apps I want onscreen, mimicking the old phone's look. It appeared brand new in the original box, none of the wires had been removed, the battery was stone dead, so it looked like someone opened the box and realized the really wanted the Pro version. The fingerprint sensor works great as does the face recognition. I bought a case for it for $5 and it's good to go.

I just have to get used to the Pixel 7 as I really liked the setup of the LG UI much better than my wife's Samsung or iPhones. I didn't want the Pixel 7 Pro as it's just too big and I really don't need the telephoto lens. It is nice that I could just replace my old phone on Tracfone, even with the added 5G coverage on the Verizon network and still pay just under $25 every 2 months. Since most usage is in one of my two houses, data comes in free over WiFi as I use very little data outside on the network. And Tracfone carries over any unused data, so it been piling up over the years.

My USB C port is a headphone Jack... :cheers: 7 Pro has been great.

I was always a stalwart needer of the headphone jack, but the only thing I used it for recently is my old pickup that doesn't have BT, so I use the aux cord. I might play around with a decent set of headphones now and then, but realistically the phone doesn't have a good enough DAC to make it worth it. I have a small FiiO BT adapter that sounds better than the jack so I usually use that. Also I have primarily switched to Sennheiser CX TWS, so I guess I don't need it much any more. It's annoying to have to buy another thing, but 10 or 15 bucks on an adapter that lets you charge to leave in the truck isn't so bad.

So far I like the phone, I've been using it since Sunday. I haven't had a chance to use the camera yet. I decided to give caseology another shot since other people rave about it, and the nano pop looked to have really good protection for the camera. I don't like it though, the grip texture is only in a small area and the screen feels vulnerable. I tried the caesology parallax on the 5a and it was OK, but I never loved it and it didn't last long. Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered a dbrand case, since they seem to be pretty solid protection.

I am clumsy and I also do things like motorcycle and rock climbing so the risk of higher impact is there. Hopefully I like the dbrand because it was freaking expensive.

Does anyone have experience using a ring or pop socket like device? I was thinking of either getting one of the magnetic wireless charging compatible ones (again freaking expensive), or maybe just putting the ring below where the wireless charger goes, since I mostly hold the phone by the bottm.

Back