• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Placement for probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splashme

I got a laptron 6 fan controller and wanted to know where to put my probs around the PC watercooled tower. The best placement to get good readings and to have a clean look. thanks you

From a data collection standpoint, I would put one on the MOSFET heatsinks near the CPU socket, one on the RAM, one on the PCH heatsink, one on the GPU heatsink, one on the HDD/SSD, and the last one in the PSU exhaust airflow.

From a clean look standpoint, I can't really advise as I don't know what case you have or how you like things to look.

Its the mountian mods tower U2UFO. its going to be watercooled is it important to have an ambient air temp reading in watercooling.

Get a thermometer for $3 at the Walmart, hang on the wall near the PC.
:clap:

Being more serious... I agree with Bob's placement, but also want to note that you are measuring the heatsink and not what matters (what that heatsink is actually cooling) so that data, while cool to have, isnt an accurate representation of what is going on outside of idle to load temperature increases. That said, I place mine(2) directly behind an intake fan, and directly in front of my rear exhaust so I can see the difference in those temperatures... tells me how the airflow is doing in the case.

It's a fun toy. Not much but fun to place and fight with.

If the CPU is too high and the probe says life is perfect, who to believe?

We really don't put much faith in those at all. Knowledge, good airflow with proper fannages takes care of the small science probes than experianced users trash after the fun games of probing usless temps..

You got the sensors, play with them, have fun, I did it too many years ago. You can learn if you move case fans around to learn the diffs. Good science.

Back