• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Placement of fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just use good (not cheap) tin snips like these:
final.jpg
(sorry for the image recycle) Have yourself a neat blowhole in about 5 minutes for <$20.

what is a good way to measure out the hole and is it important to get it to the exact mm or is it ok if your a few mm out.

I have an 80mm fan grill could i just use that to make a guide to cut

take a fan grill, the metal crappy kind, and outline from there. or if you have a protractor from geo days, you can measure that way. remember, the hole is only for air flow so if it overlaps the actual fan it's ok.. you still need to drill holes to mount the fan

well that is what i was gonna do use a fan grill but the fan grills i have are like actualy bigger than the actual fan blade so the blowhole would end up like half a cm bigger than whats needed then it would just look real bad.

thouht about using a protractor i never actualy learnt how to use one well i still am in high school :D .

Any easier way to do this im thinking i could just cut the hole half a cm bigger then put a fan grill on the other side of the fan aswell the side facing inside the case this could solve the problem seeing as the hole would b the same size as the grill it would cover up the extra part but i was just thinking having 2 grills wouldnt that restrict airflow a bit to much?

The hole only needs to be as large as the INSIDE diameter of the fan. Place your fan where you would like it to be and use a pencil to sketch around the round area inside of the fan. Once you've done that, use a drill with a 1cm or larger bit to drill a hole in the centre of the circle (approximately). You may then use your tin snips to cut outwards from the centre in a spiral pattern.

This thread is quickly becoming more appropriate to the modding section....

Back