• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to dual boot Vista for YouTube video not sure how to get video drivers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

I'm planning a Vista in 2018 video, with my computer listed in my signature, but I can't figure out the best way to get ahold of video drivers...or any drivers for that matter. ASRock's website has Windows 7 drivers, will those work in Vista? What do I do about the 1050Ti?

Now I've discovered a new issue...

For the video I decided to try setting up a triple boot of 10, 7 and Vista. I was installing 7 when I ran into the infamous USB 3 issue. Luckily, ASRock, bless them, have created a tool that slipstreams USB 3 drivers into the ISO for you. However...I'm not sure how I'm going to do this for Vista, as I imagine the second I go to start Vista setup, I'm going to run into the same issue. So, does anyone know how I would go about slipstreaming USB 3 drivers into a Vista ISO?

I'm pretty sure the tool looks specifically for Windows 7, but maybe? I'll try it out and post back.

c627627 has written a lot of stuff on slipstreaming drivers, etc. in to .iso files. The basic instructions should be very similar. Maybe PM him and see if he can point you to a thread or just provide the procedure.

Okay, I hadn't actually tested the Windows 7 CD I made with the ASRock patcher until now, and it seems whatever it did, it didn't work. Still no keyboard or mouse in setup. So I'm back to square one on that. I'm having trouble finding the drivers for my USB controller; anybody know how I'd go about finding those? ASRock doesn't list them on its website.

I ended up using NTLite, newer version of nLite for 7-10. Worked like a charm! Talking to C right now about Vista, will report back.

Vishera said:
For a personal project I thought I'd try to triple boot 10, 7 and Vista....
Why only three? :D

EasyBCD.png

It's great to hear that new versions work, if they don't, I have a complete set from back in the day when only Vista was around, but having troubles uploading a 2MB .zip file as attachment to this post.

EasyBCD is the $h** (I mean that in the best way). You can do a lot of damage if you aren't careful, but it takes the hassle out of Windows 10 trying to hijack boot.mgr files. That OS is a nightmare in that regard.

Why only three? :D

View attachment 200135

It's great to hear that new versions work, if they don't, I have a complete set from back in the day when only Vista was around, but having troubles uploading a 2MB .zip file as attachment to this post.

It's...beautiful. :drool:

So I'm downloading EasyBCD right now. Do I just click add new entry and point it to my Vista ISO, and that's it?

EasyBCD is for after the OS is installed. It's been a while since I used it, so I'll defer to someone more experienced on that. I don't want to steer you wrong and bork all your hard work. :D

One and only Download Page [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

My EasyBCD Notes are

Do not set Bootloader timeout to 0, set it to at least 2 seconds, otherwise you won't be able to change OS at bootup by repeatedly pressing keyboard arrows to pause at the bootup OS screen selection so you can make a choice if needed at bootup.

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS. Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

Download Page [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]
EasyBCD cannot run on systems where Windows XP or earlier OS are installed without Windows Vista/7/8.
Windows Vista/7/8 are required to have been installed elsewhere on the same system. Use Extended Operating System Loader http://xosl.sourceforge.net/ for multiboots consisting of only Windows XP or earlier operating systems.

My additional EasyBCD Notes:

View attachment !BCD FIX!.txt
View attachment @BIOS INFLUENCES.txt
View attachment @Edit BCD on another disk.txt
View attachment Changing the Boot Partition.txt

Tried slipstreaming the USB3 drivers into Vista with NTLite, says it doesn't support Vista, even though the old nLite website links to it for Vista support...not sure what that's all about. Apparently nLite doesn't support Vista either. Hm. I guess I'm stuck using the command line then?

Mini update, I found Nuhi's original program for Vista, vLite. Had to dig around on Google, but the download didn't cause to BitDefender to freak so I'm guessing it's safe. I'm waiting for a Vista Automated Installation Kit to download, vLite apparently depends on it, and then I'm hoping I'll be set to just do the slipstreaming. Will update when I have more to tell.

I can email Vista version 1.2 to you and would have posted it here but

FailZip.png

The copy I downloaded isn't working right, so I might need you to do that. Not sure if it's the program being bad, or if my computer isn't compatible with it.

Back