• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to dual boot Vista for YouTube video not sure how to get video drivers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine are Intel. Check the support page for the mobo at Asrock. It may say who made the your controller under the drivers for it.

No dice. I'll try digging around on Google, hopefully I'll have good news by the end of the day. For now, things aren't looking too good for this project. :rain:

So I can't use windows 7 drivers for Vista after all, eh? Well, that certainly throws a wrench in things...is there any way I could find a general driver for the host controller from the manufacturer? Like how Realtek makes a majority of ethernet and audio chipsets, is there somebody that would be likely to be a main manufacturer of xHCI host controllers?

This is all through AMD either promontory through CPU or via chipset which is still AMD. I'm pretty certain the driver you're looking for is GPIO, xHCI is an Intel thing AFIK. If anyone has something that might work it would be Fernando. https://win-raid.com/forum.php

This is all through AMD either promontory through CPU or via chipset which is still AMD. I'm pretty certain the driver you're looking for is GPIO, xHCI is an Intel thing AFIK. If anyone has something that might work it would be Fernando. https://win-raid.com/forum.php

That's interesting. Is it just a matter of time marches on and USB 2.0 is finally falling by the wayside? Or is there another reason besides the obvious economics?

That's interesting. Is it just a matter of time marches on and USB 2.0 is finally falling by the wayside? Or is there another reason besides the obvious economics?

I think this has more to do with MS than Intel, AMD or obsolete HW. They're the ones pushing to make Win7 obsolete so with slight changes in storage controller protocols your favorite OS will no longer install on your new system. These new protocols support legacy hardware but wINDOWS 7 DOESN'T SUPPORT THEM WITHOUT JUMPING THROUGH HOOPS. Try and install WinXP on a z370 motherboard. It works but only on the third full moon in Febroary.

ExTix 18.7 (http://www.extix.se/?p=435) uses a patched kernel (4.18.0-rc5-extix corresponding to Kernel.org's unstable kernel 4.18-rc5) and allows for proprietary nvidia drivers. Includes "all" multimedia codecs, netflix in FF, smplayer (my windows player now), etc.. Can be run from memory alone, AND, easy usb persistence as well.
Touted as "The Ultimate Linux System". As exciting as it sounds I use amd lol.
Based on debian stretch and ubuntu bionic beaver with LXQt desktop (merge of lxde and razor-qt) btw.

Sorry for some reason I thought this was the alt thread. Never mind.

Last edited:
Well, I think I'm throwing in the towel boys.

Windows 7 is acting really funny. When it goes to install all of the updates that have accumulated over the years, something always goes wrong. I've had to reinstall every single time it tries, because the updates either fail and it gets stuck "undoing" them, or windows just gets corrupted and boots into automatic repair. Drivers aren't working with Windows Vista, no matter which ones I try. I don't know what else to try, so I'm calling the project an official failure. Kinda bummed about this one, but I guess I was a little too hopeful.

If I ever have a little extra cash come my way, I might revisit and see just how new of a platform I can get all three running on. Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. :)

First of all, a couple of years ago, Windows 7 Update was broken on all official Windows 7 installation media released by Microsoft.
Let me say that again: on ALL Windows 7 installation media released by Microsoft. This was by design whose purpose was this:

Well, I think I'm throwing in the towel boys.

Most people would then install Windows 10.
Most people would not "waste time" to fix Windows 7 like this:
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169

If you pointed to the fact that Windows 7 Update was broken on all official Windows 7 installation media released by Microsoft, sometimes you would get a look then a question: Why are you using Windows 7?
You would then say "Because I paid for it and Windows 7 Security Updates do not expire until 2020."
Then they would say "Why don't you just use Windows 10??" and then blink and blink and blink at you, like that's the most normal question in the world...
Engaging people in further conversation on that topic was almost always a lose/lose situation...

So:
There was virtually no media acknowledgement that
A. Windows 7 Security Updates do not expire until 2020.
B. Windows 7 Update was broken on *all* official Windows 7 installation media released by Microsoft, by design.

As for other operating systems, yes, you need OS specific drivers, otherwise a lot of work/knowledge is needed to go around not having an OS-specific driver.

I've sunk enough time into this already. I don't mind Windows 10, got some IT friends that know how to block most of the telemetry stuff, so I'm not too concerned about privacy. Like I said, when tax time rolls around, I'll probably grab a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system off of eBay for $100 and see if I can get all three running.

Back