• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please critique my overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quaken

Semi novice looking for some help. First of all my specs

Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
MB- Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
CPU - AMD FX-6300 Vishera
Memory - Corsair 2x4gb DDR3 1600Mhz Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
PSU - OCZ 750w 80Plus Bronze
Cooling - Corsair H80i All In One
GPU - Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition x 2 in Xfire

Now, my OC screenshots

23rluvl.jpg 2zi55ea.jpg 2rml0lc.jpg

The only long term testing I did was to run a Prime95 Blend torture test for 5 1/2 hours with no errors, so I think its stable. If anything needs further testing please advise me. I thought the temps looked decent with socket temp topping out at 64 and core temp at about 53.

My main concern is with my bios settings, I achieved this overclock mostly with guesswork based on watching videos and reading many, many threads from different forums. This was much trial and error on my part so I'm kind of clueless as to whether or not I have made any mistakes. Can someone please take a look at my bios screenshots and tell me if I need to make some changes? Here they are.

2hfj66p.jpg
28kwhw.jpg
oublzk.jpg
21b6fwj.jpg
2rr3riw.jpg
2mw6wir.jpg
otlndc.jpg
nyydrk.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice OC ...... my only thought is you don't really need to set your CPU LLC to ultra high however if your VCore has not gotten run up to high by it then there is no need to worry about it. To get a bit more performance from your system you might want to bump up your CPU/NB and HT Link up a bit ..... 2400 - 2600, just try and find your sweet spot with them and keep them in lock step as you go.

Nice OC .....

Nice clock, i dont have water so stuch at 458. Dont bother with NB it doesnt do anything. I have yet to see a post where it does anything worth while, and HT is stock 2600, but wont make much diff unless you run multiple video cards which i dont. In the old Phenemon chips NB was a big deal, but with the vishera it does nothing noticeable, but to get it stable above 2300 you needs lots of volts which just causes more heat.

Your CPU/NB and HT Link Frequency look a little low. Isn't stock 2200 mhz for both of those? I'm thinking most guys get about 2400 on those two with the FX CPUs so you are underclocked a little on those two items.

Stock/Default or from the factory; however you want to say it, the CPU_NB speed is 2200Mhz and the Default HT speed is 2600Mhz. You have already chosen to run CPU_NB voltage at 1.25V so go ahead and up the CPU_NB speed to ~2400Mhz and the HT Speed to 2600Mhz. Regardless of how small the gains maybe there are gains to be had from raising those speeds. Especially as ram speed increases. With the CPU_NB voltage already raised...get the speed. After raising those speeds, certainly Prime 95 in Blend mode for at least 2 hours to re-establish stability.
RGone...

As suggested, I increased my ht link + nb speed and ran Prime95 again. Ran for 3 hours w/o an error. Overall I am very satisfied with the performance gain I think I will get from this. Now that my OC is done, what if anything should I change back in the settings? I disabled alot of options and set values higher than normal, so I am wondering if I should just leave it or if there are certain things I should alter. Like the DRAM command rate, I have seen some people say that once you are done, this should be changed to 2T. And the cpu config. Leave it alone? Thanks again for your help everyone!

on the cpu/nb and ht link.
the only two places i see use of clocking these is in the benchmarks and gamming.
the place I start looking from is 2500 locked togather and play with them from there.
I have been playing with very high cpu/nb clocks with my 965 a little and see no real use for most of us above 2800, it just seems to add heat with no real gain, this is on small water and gamming.

Back