• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please dont laugh.. heatload of a lighter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well what kind of measurement are you looking for?

Id say a lighter puts out a ton of heat really quickly.
Much hotter than any cpu would ever get.

You could run a lighter under a waterblock and see what kind of temps you get through a basic loop. :shrug:

I agree it puts out more energy than a CPU, but being able to transfer that energy would be far more difficult.

I laughed. :)

But i'd think that a CPU would come close if it was OCed a lot (Nahelem anyway... not too sure about SB) but i think a lighter would put out more heat.

Okay, I didn't laugh at your post, now don't laugh at mine:

If you do the old calorimeter setup for just the lighter (1cc h20 up 1*C(or 100cc h20 times 100)) and time it, you will find calories/second (or minute, whatever). Using that calorie number, you can convert to joules/second and ta da! Joules break down to watts. ;)

:chair:

a candle can do 40-300btu via a web consensus.
if your heating a cpu directally there would be about 40% losses?
depending on the size of the flame, i would go with a guess of 20-60watts.
if you had a blueflame torch lighter roaring, it might be closer to the temps your trying to get?

Btu's of heat per cubic foot.
dat is one big lighter

i have tried this on a cooler, and there are a lot more things going on too.
condensation forms , water evaporation cooling, and carbon buildup.
basically the cooler owned the bic flame pretty well, i was surprised.
i had to go to torch lighter then pencil torch before things started occuring.

so i didnt laugh, :) some foo has already tried this . :)

Last edited:
OK, so I've lurked long enough. I have to weigh in on this.

The test:
I took a standard US quarter, held it with tweezers, and held it over the flame of a bic lighter on it's lowest setting for 5 seconds. The temperature was measured by an infrared thermometer before and after. After the burn, both sides of the quarter were measured and the average of the two sides was taken. The temperature rose 15F which I convert to 8.3C.

The math:
One US Quarter = 5.67 grams total

Ratio of Copper to Nickel
.9167 Cu
.0833 Ni

Individual masses
5.1977 grams Cu
0.4723 grams Ni

Specific heats of each metal.
.39 J/g K Cu
.54 J/g K Ni

Specific heats time mass
2.027 J/K Cu
.2550 J/K Ni
2.282 J/K Total

Specific heats times mass and temperature rise
18.94 J

Divide heat by time of burn
18.94J / 5 seconds = 3.788 Watts

Conclusion:
It may be a lot of energy but if you want to heat up a heatsink, your processor will do it better than a lighter... ...unless I shouldn't be doing midnight math. =p

That's probably pretty accurate, really.
I'd add a bit for some heat going around the edges, and the top part of the coin cooling as it's heated.

Thanks for testing!

Back