• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help, computer turns off . . . Read all the stickies!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

Hey guys. This is a brand new computer i put together, specifically to play League of Legends with my friends, for the 5 or 6 hours a week i get to game nowadays. My children are growing and suddenly my PC is now the family PC so i decided to buy a separate desktop for myself. Here's the system:

AMD A8 5800k
Gigabyte F2A55M-HD 2
Mushkin 2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz
SSD Crucial M4 256gb
Thermaltake V3 with TT600w PSU

Here's the problem: the PC turns off. When playing LoL it happens about 50% of the time after finishing a game. It happened 3 or 4 times during playing. It also happened 2 times when alt tabbing. If i leave the computer running, sometimes it seems it turns off too since when i get back to it it's off and windows tells me it didn't shut off properly.
When it turns off, i can't turn it back on. I have to switch off the PSU, wait 10 secs, and then switch on. Otherwise the power button is unresponsive.

Here's what i tried: first off i uninstalled the CPU and applied AS5 instead of the stock stuff. Honestly i didn't do this the first time i installed because i was lazy. I installed Core Temp for logging cpu temps. I then installed a burning program, can't remember the name, to stress test the CPU, GPU, and RAM, all at once. It run for 12 hours with no problems and temps peaked at 80c for the CPU (that's considering the offset for this CPU thermal sensor, i read about that). During gameplay i get lower temps than these.

So right now i am at a loss, what to do next?

Last edited:
Are you using onboard graphics or are you using a discrete gpu?

Also need to know what OS you're using?

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me with my current set up but with an older PSU. The PSU only had a 20 pin power connector so i bought a 24 pin adapter cable (I know now I never really needed it). After 3 months the same thing started to happen. Turned out it was that adapter. Removed it and problem went away.

You may not have an adapter like i did, but it does mean that you might have issues with your PSU. Maybe check the connection to the mobo or check that you are getting the proper voltages by using a multimeter.

The way I narrowed the problem down was the pc turned off if I wiggled the PSU wires

Last edited:
Does the screen just go black all of a sudden, or is there a BSOD/freeze?

Install HWmonitor, run a stress test with HWmonitor up, screen shot the temps for us, post here...profit.

It sure sounds PSU related to me. Open up a monitoring software, put the system under load and look at the +12v, +5v, and +3.3v readings. See if any of those are falling substantially lower than that.

What stress proggy? Exact one please.

Sounds like software to tell you the truth. Alt tab causing a shutdown?

That could be secondary to a PSU issue. A TT PSU that came with the case? Good chance 99% probability it's junk. I'm sure if you go to our PSU forum, JonnyGuru, etc you won't find a review on it. Well maybe you will, professional PSU folks test crap stuff junk PSU testing for giggles. Love the sparks.

So, an alt -tab issue, software or graphic drivers. An old gaming issue I have seen many times. PC shutting off all by itself? And other issues? Maybe PSU.

Maybe build the PC on a piece of cardboard and run it like that a while, could be a case issue. I always build on cardboard first and stress test etc load windows, etc use it for a few days first. Then into a case.

It run for 12 hours with no problems and temps peaked at 80c for the CPU
Not for nuthin' but, max temp for that CPU is 74c as stated by AMD. Might want to look into your temp issue first. ;)

Back