• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me overclock my i7 3770k ASRock z77 Extreme 6.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimreaper1014

Hi guys,

I would like to overclock my i7 3770k. I have a ASRock z77 Extreme 6 motherboard. I am also using a Swiftech H220 AIO water cooling kit. I have never overclocked an Intel system before and do not have any experience at all with ASRock boards. Therefore, the first thing I did was start searching for a guide. I came across this guide for Intel and ASRock. There are a few things that have me confused a bit. If I read correctly it says to start off with a CPU multiplier of 33 and set the offset to +0.005v. Then, to set Turbo Boost to +0.004v. After that it says to run prime. If the test fails to raise the Turbo Boost Voltage, or raise CPU PPL voltage up to 1.89, or lower it as low as 1.709v. My question is does the CPU Offset voltage stay at +0.005v and all the voltage changes are done to the Turbo Boost voltage instead?

Another part of the guide talks about what to set CPU Load Line Calibration too. It says to use either level 3 or level 2. It said that it depends on what the voltage says in CPU-z and that you want the voltage in CPU-z to match the BIOS. Well, my problem is I don't know where to look in the BIOS for the current voltage. If I am using Offset mode I have no clue what the voltage is in the BIOS. Is there a place in the BIOS that will tell me what the current voltage is like it does for some memory and some other stuff? Also, from what I have noticed it seams that the voltage in CPU-z bounces around quite a bit so from the looks of it wouldn't it be tough to match the voltages? If there is anything that I should do differently than the guide says please let me know. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and helping me out.

Thanks again,
Rocky

Use the SB/Ivybridge guide located in my signature... :)

Your bios should have a spot that shows the voltage, yes. The voltage you want is load voltage and it normally jumps around a bit.

Honestly, I would use a fixed voltage as you don't have to mess around with basic math. You set it, and outside of vdrop and vrdroop, it is what it is. ;)

Cool thanks for your help I will check the guide out. I am still confused about CPU voltage and Turbo voltage though. I don't understand which voltage is the one that should be adjusted.

Cool thanks for your help. I thought it was odd that the other guide was saying to increase it instead of the regular CPU voltage. I am printing out the guide you pointed me to right now so it will be easier to fallow along while I'm in the BIOS. Thanks again for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

*Edit - Before posting here I was already running my PC at 4.5GHz at a lower voltage and it was stable. The guide you linked me too said if I would like to go higher than 4.5GHz to post here. I want to try to increase my overclock. What else can I try? I want to see how high this chip will go. It will not be ran 24/7 at the fastest speed achievable. I just want to see how far it can go to give me something to do.

Last edited:
I can help you setup Offset and turbo :)

Do you have all your settings the same as the guide? I can look over your settings if you post screen shots of your bios. Format a Flash drive in FAT32, reboot into bios, press F12.

What OC are you trying to achieve?

Hi Lucky,

Right now I am using the same settings as the guide that I linked to in my first post. The only thing different is I have the C states disabled as I heard this can help. Plus I have smart connect and rapid start disabled. Everything else is exactly the same as the guide. I am trying to achieve a 24/7 overclock higher than 4.5GHz. I would really like to try to run 24/7 at 4.8GHz since I think 5.0GHz would put to much stress on the CPU for 24/7 operation. However, it really just depends on how far I can get this thing to go reliably and with a reasonable and manageable amount of heat. I was able to get the chip stable at the starting voltages the guide recommended to start at with a clock of 4.5GHz. Therefore, right now the voltage is set to Turbo Boost to +0.004v and Offset +0.005v. If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

With the 45 multi, +0.005 offset and +0.004 turbo...What is your Idle and full load vcore in CPU-Z?

I had to reset the C states back to "Auto" in order to get an idle voltage. Therefore, all the settings are exactly the same as this overclocking guide. My idle voltage is .848v and my full load voltage is 1.200v.

Last edited:
Ok so your idle is really low but if your not experiencing any instability during light load then you should be fine.

As you increase the multiplier, you only want to increase Additional turbo voltage to stabilize your full load. You dont want to increase your offset because this will also increase you idle vcore.

Back