• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me, overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jEevion

AMD64 3200+ Winchester
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Rev.2 2x512mb TCCD
OCZ PowerStream 520W
eVGA EGeforce 7800GT CO
WD Raptor

I can get the CPU to run at 2500MHz just fine with the memory controller 3/4. However, when I try to have me memory run 1:1, no matter what I do I can't seem to get it stable. 2500MHz will pass SuperPI, any test, just fine. When I try to run the memory at 1:1, all I do is change the ratio and the timings, I have tried 2.5-3-3-7, 3-4-3-7, 3-4-4-7, and 3-4-4-10. Attached are some screenies of what my bios looks like now, with a memory divider.

My question is, could this be due to the memory controller on my CPU? I heard that the earlier Winchesters had poor memory controllers. I've had this rig running at 2.6GHz at one point, but started getting BSODs.

I ran memtest both on stock settings and 220 @ 2.5-3-3-6, and no errors after several passes. In fact, I have never seen this memory get a MemTest error ever, no matter what settings.

Is there something I'm not doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 03-02-06_2311.jpg
    03-02-06_2311.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 03-02-06_2312.jpg
    03-02-06_2312.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 40
I increased the VDimm to 2.9v and put the divider back to 1:1 and tested 3-4-4-7, it booted into Windows and no crashes, SuperPI did a pass without errors or crashing. I tried:

2.5-3-3-6 250MHz 1T - Memtest86 PASS, BSoD in Windows
3-4-3-6 - Memtest86 PASS, SuperPI pass & no crash/bsod yet

Now I have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer.

1. Why would memory pass Memtest86 but then cause a BSoD when Windows boots? Does it have anything to do with the memory controller on the CPU?

2. What's a safe voltage for TCCD memory? I heard most people cap out at 2.8v so anything higher is overkill. In my scenario, the jump from 2.8 to 2.9 made all the difference. Is it safe to jump to 3.0v?

3. Does 3-4-3-6 seem loose for 250MHz?

Thank you. If there are any suggestions to help my rig I'd be more than grateful.

Hey j,

With that board the right BIOS and BIOS settings are pretty important. I'd try the N4D702-1 and use the orange slots for your memory. Performance TCCD settings are as you may know 2.5-3-3-7, and your sticks should run that just fine unless you have another problem of some kind.

Try these timings listed in order they are seen in A64 Tweaker

2.5-7-13-3-2-6-3-2-1-2-200mhz 15.6us-8x-128bit-disable-disable-7x-8ns-5.5ns-16clks-enable

Memtest and see if it's alright. Another thing is some TCCD likes voltage, not all but some. It sorta seems like you might have some so maybe try .1 or .2 more volts. This memory can get hot even at these low voltages so make sure they are staying cool. Memtest is not the only test needed for Windows stability but it's a good start.

Probably the most important thing you could do is run a lower multi like 8 or something, that way you are taking CPU stability out of the equation and it will allow you to determine you best memory config.

Anyway good luck, I'll try and check back in later.

Thanks for the reply.

3-4-4-7 is not stable, I've got a few BSoD's.

I've already tested the max the CPU will do, which is 2610, but just want 2500 for the lower voltage/temps. The computer will run fine with a memory divider, I only start having problems when the memory is 1:1 with the CPU, and regardless of the timings it is never stable.

Also, whenever I try to update the NVidia drivers for my motherboard, I will immediately BSoD upon Windows starting, so I am using older drivers.

I'll try that other bios when I get in from work, thanks for the help.

How do I go about doing this? Do I just have the memory running 1:1 with the CPU, then lower the multi to 8x? Thanks.

Also my memory is in the YELLOW slots on my Ultra-D .... will this change anything?

I switched the memory into the orange slots, went into the bios, set the multi to 8x and booted Windows, got a BSoD while Windows was loading.

This was 1:1 250MHz 2.5-3-3-7

2-2-2-5 on a 5/6 divider still works.

If you give that tccd 2.9 volts at 1:1 then you will probably need some active cooling. If you have an extra fan lying around to blow on it then I suggest you use it. People have gone up to 3 volts on tccd(with good cooling), but for mine I got no extra performance over 2.85.

Also, you really don't gain much performance with the higher ram clocks versus the lower ones with tighter timings, so don't get too worked up if you can't get it running 1 to 1. Good luck with it.

I just got back from the bios flash, I'm using N4D702-1 now.

I put all my settings back, and tried 2.5-3-3-7 250MHz 1t, and got another BSoD while Windows was loading. So it didn't seem to fix anything there.

Right now I'm on the 5/6 divider again, 2-2-2-5 running at like 207MHz 1t, 2.9V.

Is there anything further I can do to try and get the memory going at 1:1 with the CPU? Thanks for the help so far, it's greatly appreciated.

Here is what I've done so far.

I looked at my rails and noticed they could be a bit better. The Powerstream allows you to adjust each rail, the closest I got was as follows:

+3.3 = 3.30
+5 = 4.99
+12 = 11.96

I ran memtest with settings 2.5-3-3-7 250MHz 1T 2.8v for a full run, no errors at all.

I'm so confused, how could memtest pass, then all of a sudden be completely unstable once Windows comes into the picture?

I also tried booting at 2.5-3-3-7 2T 250MHz 2.8v, it booted this time but BSoD'd (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT) when I got into Windows.

Right now I've got 3-4-4-7 1T 250MHz 2.8v, and I know it's not completely stable.

Could it really be that the memory is overheating? I've got a Vantec Tornado case fan on full over the CPU/HS, and it "sort of" covers the memory. When I didn't have the computer in the case, you could put your hand over the motherboard and feel how much air the tornado moves around.

So my questions are:

1. Memtest passes without a hitch, Windows will BSoD. Could someone explain how that works?
2. If the memory controller on the CPU was dodgy, I would still error out in certain tests on Memtest right?
3. What other things can I try to get this stable?

Thanks again for the help.

1 run is not enough to confirm stability of overclocked ram.

You could try the other settings. Disable DRAM Bank Interleave to start with.

Not to recommend crossposting but a thread of this nature (regarding memory) may be better off in the memory section.

I realize that one single run in Memtest does not prove that the memory is stable, but considering how I can't even get into Windows, you would think that Memtest would error rather quickly.

As briefly mentioned before, I am not able to update the Nvidia drivers for the board. I am using the ones that came with the CD. I tried installing the new ones but upon coming to Windows I will get a BSOD (always at the same time). It happens as the computer is loading the start-up programs/services. Could older drivers be causing an issue?

Also, what is the function of DRAM Bank Interleave? Is it better to have rather than not?

The reason this was posted in CPU was because I was almost sure this was a memory controller problem. Again, your help is appreciated.

Do you specify which test that Memtest runs? Test number 5 really brings out the problems quickly. When it starts, hit C, then 3 then 5, enter, then I think its 0 to start the test. If it will pass that test a couple of times, then see if Windows will boot up.

Okay, I went out for a bit and left memtest running. The first few passes were looping test 5, and then I set it back to all tests. This was at 250MHz 2.5-3-3-7 2.8v. See the first attachment.

So I said okay, the memory is not failing at these settings. I went into the bios and disabled DRAM Bank Interleave. For the rest of my settings, see the second attachment.

I booted into Windows, but before I got past the login screen, I got an error message about some DCOM, and the computer needed to be shut down. The error message is in the third attachment.

Finally, I booted a second time and this time got a BSOD, which is the fourth and final attachment.

Can someone explain what the hell is going on? Are all of my settings in the bios correct for the memory? Thanks again for your kind help.

Attachments

• Memtest.jpg
    Memtest.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Settings.jpg
    Settings.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 26
  • BSOD.jpg
    BSOD.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 26
Your passing Memtest with 250 2.5-3-3-7 good, but are you booting on the 8X multi when you are getting all these BSOD's? It really seems to me more like a Windows Problem, especially if your on the 8 multi when all these errors are occuring.

And yes the orange slots do make a difference for TCCD. Also Interleave is better enabled, better Ram performance. It doesn't sound like it's the problem or anything Ram related to me.

Yeah that's what I thought when I first saw it. I said to myself, "Hey, I remember when there were trojans going around that did this", as it happened to a friend of mine.

But I assure you, my PC is clean, and that is the ONLY time I have got that error. Also note that I got it the only time I was able to get into Windows .. partially. I believe I got it because: the memory is obviously causing problems, upon loading the application, the memory went all screwy again, so the process had to terminate ... or something to that effect.

I have tried both 8x and 10x, both do the exact same thing. Have tried many timings, different voltages etc.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

I have not made any recent hardware changes. Last time I upgraded was when I got the motherboard + VGA, but I did a format/fresh install of WinXP, and yes it is a legit version I bought years ago. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well I downloaded/printed information regarding each field for memory in the bios, as well as recommended settings for TCCD. I made the changes, rebooted and the computer restarted during post. I'm back on a divider now.

I'm trying my best to solve this on my own, but would appreciate any help. 10 000 e-cookies to whoever can help me. :)

Back