• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help ME!!!! PC BROKE I THINK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clutchy08

Registered
Hey all today my pc was working perfect and i decided to do a bit of cable managment and unplugged everything, so i put them all back together i hooked cables back to to the GPU and i turn it back on and pluged in the power and the computer just flicked on and went off, now i dont no what i done my hardrive is not even booting up its sounds like there is no power going to it what so ever, on the motherboard i can see the CPU Fan spinning and the GPUS fan are spinning also along with the case fans but no Hardrive, Nothing comes up on my motherboard on Boot i cant even get in to the Bios.

Can someone please help me i do not have the money to send this to a PC Tech

*****UPDATE*****
Brought my PC to a Tech And he confirmed the HD is dead, but i still have the PC but it is still not Beeping when ram or HD or Showing up on my Monitor, i plugged it The wrong connection and it blew the HD? Is the motherboard ok? because fans and powering up

Last edited:
Are you certain you hooked everything back up properly?
So you dont even see the POST screen?
Does the monitor get a signal?
Does the HDD feel like its getting power?

Are you certain you hooked everything back up properly?
So you dont even see the POST screen?
Does the monitor get a signal?
Does the HDD feel like its getting power?

hey yep every thing isplugged in, i took one of the GPUs out even to test is it any hardware, i also pulled the ram out and tried to boot up but i got no beeps, and nope the monitor is getting nothing at all

Is the 8 pin power plug plugged in, not just the big atx plug but the little one that plugs in (usually in the to corner of the board)

Is the 8 pin power plug plugged in, not just the big atx plug but the little one that plugs in (usually in the to corner of the board)

Hey Yep every thing is plugged in but still no action, The HDD is confirmed to be dead,

Any damage is likely from static electricity or a short.

What anti-static precautions did you take? I hope you avoided the worst practices, like wear shoes or socks or not stay grounded to the computer case (with a wrist strap or by always keeping one hand on bare metal of the case). For $17 you can buy a big roll of pink anti-static bubble wrap to cover your entire work surface, and combined with bare feet and short sleeves, the risk of static damage is reduced a lot.

Shorts can happen around the motherboard mounting holes (mobos are supposed to be designed to prevent that, but you really need to check, top and bottom, to see if insulating washers are needed) or at the corners (mobos and cases flex, especiall when something is plugged in at a corner). Shorts can also happen when cards or DIMMs aren't plugged in completely, leaving their contacts crooked and touching more than one socket contact at a time.

"Better is the enemy of good enough." Werner Von Braun

Any damage is likely from static electricity or a short.

What anti-static precautions did you take? I hope you avoided the worst practices, like wear shoes or socks or not stay grounded to the computer case (with a wrist strap or by always keeping one hand on bare metal of the case). For $17 you can buy a big roll of pink anti-static bubble wrap to cover your entire work surface, and combined with bare feet and short sleeves, the risk of static damage is reduced a lot.

Shorts can happen around the motherboard mounting holes (mobos are supposed to be designed to prevent that, but you really need to check, top and bottom, to see if insulating washers are needed) or at the corners (mobos and cases flex, especiall when something is plugged in at a corner). Shorts can also happen when cards or DIMMs aren't plugged in completely, leaving their contacts crooked and touching more than one socket contact at a time.

"Better is the enemy of good enough." Werner Von Braun

hey thank you for the reply, also i did not touch the internals of board, i was only really messing around with the Outside Cables that are away from the Motherboard, i think i plugged 2 of the same cabes in to the same socket and i dont no what it done, i was reconnecting the 4 pin molex cables back together and went up stairs plugged it back in and it just flickered and nothing else, Now i no for a fact the hardrive is dead, it is still powering up but no action, the back fans are slow to Spin at the start i have to push then a little bit to get them to move at there full speed, i just hope i can save some stuff and hope some of it is not damaged, like my GFX Cards and CPU And PSU, Do you no is there any tests to see if the mobo is dead? also how can i fix this problem?

hey thank you for the reply, also i did not touch the internals of board, i was only really messing around with the Outside Cables that are away from the Motherboard, i think i plugged 2 of the same cabes in to the same socket and i dont no what it done, i was reconnecting the 4 pin molex cables back together and went up stairs plugged it back in and it just flickered and nothing else, Now i no for a fact the hardrive is dead, it is still powering up but no action, the back fans are slow to Spin at the start i have to push then a little bit to get them to move at there full speed, i just hope i can save some stuff and hope some of it is not damaged, like my GFX Cards and CPU And PSU, Do you no is there any tests to see if the mobo is dead? also how can i fix this problem?
It's best to touch the ground points of the motherboard, like all the bare metal at the back. It actually is possible to zap electronics through the outside cables, especially mouse and keyboard cables, because often they're not shielded.

Are you sure all the cables are plugged in and plugged in correctly, including the thin cable for the front panel powr button?

There's a chance the hard disk can be repaired, if the damage is limited to its fuses and overvoltage protection zener diodes. Franc Zabkar (also goes by fzabkar) has some write-ups about this, including in the forums at HDDguru.com , Seagate.com , and WDC.com . Repair requires soldering of surface mount parts near the power connector. A company called OnePCBsolution.com sells replacement circuit boards, and for an extra fee will also transplant the BIOS chip of the original drive (necessary to match the tuning of the hard drive heads).

A power supply can be tested without a motherboard by connecting the green wire on its largest connector to either black wire next to it. That should make the fans pin, indicating the +12V isn't completely dead, but you should still measure it because 12V fans can spin even at 6V. Also measure the +5.0V and +3.3V. Here's a sticky about using a meter:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403837

Even the cheapest digital meter is more than adequate for basic testing. Or try to borrow a power supply and test the motherboard with it. Don't buy a new power supply only for this purpose.

It is unlikely that the hard drive is actually dead, with that said it is hard to know what you did or didn't do to make it not boot. Have you tried resetting the CMOS yet? Is your keyboard plugged into the right connection or is it USB? If it is USB, do you have one with a wired PS2 plug that you can try? Are you sure that the Video card is in the slot correctly, all the way in? Are you positive that the ram is fully seated and clips are down in place? When turned on does it beep, or did it beep before? Are there any lights glowing or blinking on the motherboard?
If you did all of this without it being plugged in, there is almost no way any component is actually damaged. It is more likely that one of the molex wires has slipped out of the connector or has been moved far enough that it isn't making a good connection. Molex pass throughs are very bad about this, the kind like a fan plug that plugs into one molex and has another end that can be plugged in elsewhere.
To be more help you should add your specs to your signature like mine so that we can know what platform and what age of components that you are using.

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
2 GTX 560s SLI
4 Gig Corsair vengeance
880 Hipper Type R II PSU
AMD 8120 8 Core CPU

Also yep every thing is in, and there is no signs of any power entering the HDD, and i was messing with the Molex cables and i think i hooked it up wrong, i got the power off the GFX Cards and next thing plugged it and just flickered and no action, also i did not try reseting the CMOS but i will try it ! thank you :)

It is unlikely that the hard drive is actually dead, with that said it is hard to know what you did or didn't do to make it not boot. Have you tried resetting the CMOS yet? Is your keyboard plugged into the right connection or is it USB? If it is USB, do you have one with a wired PS2 plug that you can try? Are you sure that the Video card is in the slot correctly, all the way in? Are you positive that the ram is fully seated and clips are down in place? When turned on does it beep, or did it beep before? Are there any lights glowing or blinking on the motherboard?
If you did all of this without it being plugged in, there is almost no way any component is actually damaged. It is more likely that one of the molex wires has slipped out of the connector or has been moved far enough that it isn't making a good connection. Molex pass throughs are very bad about this, the kind like a fan plug that plugs into one molex and has another end that can be plugged in elsewhere.
To be more help you should add your specs to your signature like mine so that we can know what platform and what age of components that you are using.

nope i get no beeps what so ever, i see the power is on true the green light but near the ram, Red i do not think the motherboard is picking up the ram that is sittted in the perfected.

There is a memory OK button on the top right corner, try pushing that button and then booting again. There is also a CPU LED near the bottom left side of the ram slots, if this ios red make sure that the CPU fan is plugged into the correct header, the one on the left above the CPU and to the right of the 8 pin power plug. If none of this works try removing one stick of ram and booting with just a single stick. Also try booting holding the insert key while tapping the delete key intermittently, power down and unplug between tries for at least 30 seconds and repeat. Change the USB plug for the keyboard to another slot or try a PS2 wired keyboard, there have been issues before that a USB keyboard may not always detect on boot. Change the SATA cable on the hard drive out for another one, make sure that the sata connectors on the hard drive are intact and not broken off. Let us know how it goes.

Check your motherboard lights and reference the manual. Even with a dead HDD your system should post. If something is wrong many motherboards have safety features to power off hardware if it will be damaged. If your pc speaker wires are plugged in right you would get beeps if you had a memory error. My guess is that you have a power supply problem, something isn't plugged in that should be, a connector is plugged in wrong. I would take out the power supply and test it if you have a tester. Swap it for another if you don't. This is assuming everything is plugged in right and you have checked the motherboard lights for errors. I hope that helps.

I think someone already mentioned this, but try unplugging your power and clear memory with either the jumper, or by pulling the CMOS battery. Wait 5 min or so to make sure it is clear and try to boot. I have had to do this before when I can't get a system to post. Just remember that you'll need to change your Date/Time to the current or you'll end up with SSL errors......and the wrong date and time.

Back