• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me with my overclocking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ULTIMATE_PLATAN

Registered
Specs first!

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx
CPU: FX-8320 (clocked at 4.0)
COOLER: Corsair H55 water cooler
GPU: EVGA GTX 760 2gb (SC)
PSU: Corsair 750watt gold
CASE FANS: 5

Ok here I go! Please if you don’t know what you are talking about don’t give me advice no hard feelings i just really want to get advice from a PRO! This way i learn something =)

My first question: I want to over clock to 4.6 or more if possible at some point and I was wondering if my cooler can handle the over clocking.

Second question: I did a small over clock last night and my CPU was HOT! I stress tested with prim95 and my temps were at like 65c-68c never hit 70c I’m new to over clocking and got the voltages and all from a YouTube video with my same set up.. Do you guys think it has something to do with the voltages being toooooo high that would cause the overheating? The over clock was only 4.2mhz....

3ed: this other forum told me to leave all the voltages on automatic and just change the cpu ratio and let the MOBO choose the voltages yes or no? Like is said guys I’m a noob and really want to know what I’m doing =) thanks in advance for all the help you guys will provide!

AND MY LAST QUESTION!! to get a steady over clock what would you recommend i set my voltages and cpu ratio to? fx 8320 i want to get a steady 4.2

I know its alot but please help!

"In order to be a pro, the basics one must learn first" - Yoda and I :p

Welcome!

In my signature is a link to the bulldozer O/C guide... Check that out first until the real pro's get in here and can help you along your way.

Need an established baseline to overclock upward from...

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point. You could manually set multiplier to x20 which is 4.0Ghz since that FX-8320 has a x17.5 multiplier which is equal to 3.5Ghz as its' default speed. That would be an overlock that would be good to test on stock voltage since it will likely do it and run the P95 Blend test for 20 mins as described below and then capture the 4 'inidividual' screenshots as outlined below and n0t a whole screen since that is not easily read when captured.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

okay so here is what you asked for please let me know whats next. right now its set to 4.2ghz and voltage is 1.2000 temps stayed low but i don't know if this is to low of a voltage.. here are the screen shots in order.

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 70
  • MEMORY.png
    MEMORY.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 66
  • SPD.png
    SPD.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 90
  • HWMONITOR.png
    HWMONITOR.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 80
that looks fine, your h55 will limit your clocks quite a bit.
you need to go into the bios and set your ram timmings to match those in the jedec #3 column.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point. You could manually set multiplier to x20 which is 4.0Ghz since that FX-8320 has a x17.5 multiplier which is equal to 3.5Ghz as its' default speed. That would be an overlock that would be good to test on stock voltage since it will likely do it and run the P95 Blend test for 20 mins as described below and then capture the 4 'inidividual' screenshots as outlined below and n0t a whole screen since that is not easily read when captured.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

:salute::comp:

which temp really matters? I have 2 CPU temps and im confused one is lower the other is higher lol please help. as we speak im at 4.2mhz and 1.20v running prim95 for about 1hr now and no crashes!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 71
which temp really matters? I have 2 CPU temps and im confused one is lower the other is higher lol please help. as we speak im at 4.2mhz and 1.20v running prim95 for about 1hr now and no crashes!

I don't consider myself a "pro" so I'm not sure if you want my input but it might be helpful to realize that HWMonitor is arranged in three columns: "Min," "Max and "Value". Min usually corresponds to the idle temp. Max gives the highest temp achieved during the course of a stress test and Value gives the current temp or the temp at the moment.

Also, there are two fan speed sections. One is for simple, constant speed fans and the other is for "PWM" fans. PWM stands for "Pulse Width Modulation" and is a technology employed between motherboards and fans that allows for automatic and programmed control of fan speeds from the motherboard bios.

"CPU" temp is actually CPU socket temp. "Package" temp refers to the temp inside the processor.

Last edited:
I don't consider myself a "pro" so I'm not sure if you want my input but it might be helpful to realize that HWMonitor is arranged in three columns: "Min," "Max and "Value". Min usually corresponds to the idle temp. Max gives the highest temp achieved during the course of a stress test and Value gives the current temp or the temp at the moment.

Also, there are two fan speed sections. One is for simple, constant speed fans and the other is for "PWM" fans. PWM stands for "Pulse Width Modulation" and is a technology employed between motherboards and fans that allows for automatic and programmed control of fan speeds from the motherboard bios.

"CPU" temp is actually CPU socket temp. "Package" temp refers to the temp inside the processor.

Thank you so much for your input that was helpful =) all impute matters when your new at all this! Unless it’s not meaningful.

I think i may have a stable 4.2 going with only 1.22v! tested for about 5hr no crashes!

Thank you so much for your input that was helpful =) all impute matters when your new at all this! Unless it’s not meaningful.

I think i may have a stable 4.2 going with only 1.22v! tested for about 5hr no crashes!
Sounds good, you should manually set your DRAM timings to the JEDEC #3 profile in your Cpu-Z Spd SS if you look at the Cpu-Z memory tab SS they are set at 11-11-11-28-33.

Back