• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help Serious problem with my new 7800gs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffk

Registered
Hello all. My new PNY 7800gs arrived today instaleed it no problem, uninstaled my old 9800pro radeon, resteed, folowed every step then instaleed nvidia 84.43 forceware drivers all perfect.
My PSU is 450w with 18A i dont know if that could be the main issue but i launched far cry, doom 3. half-life 2 and painkiller to test. I setted all graphics to max setting 4x AA and x8AF all runing on 1024x768. The Image quality is simply amazing, im very pleased and amazed by it. But FPS is a disaster. FArcry runing at 20fps avg same with doom3 and painkiller runs at 50+ fps but i get low downs to 15. Its simply anoying and unplayable, heck my 9800 pro ran those game faster. I come to check the clocks and they where extremely low. AS for 3dmark03 i scored 6500 yes that low. After installing diferent drivers, diferent settings, I managed to reach 9500 but it is till to low.

Please help i really love this card but i want to play games with smooth fps, tell me what to do.

Thansk and sorry for long post and bad english

jeffk said:
Hello all. My new PNY 7800gs arrived today instaleed it no problem, uninstaled my old 9800pro radeon, resteed, folowed every step then instaleed nvidia 84.43 forceware drivers all perfect.
My PSU is 450w with 18A i dont know if that could be the main issue but i launched far cry, doom 3. half-life 2 and painkiller to test. I setted all graphics to max setting 4x AA and x8AF all runing on 1024x768. The Image quality is simply amazing, im very pleased and amazed by it. But FPS is a disaster. FArcry runing at 20fps avg same with doom3 and painkiller runs at 50+ fps but i get low downs to 15. Its simply anoying and unplayable, heck my 9800 pro ran those game faster. I come to check the clocks and they where extremely low. AS for 3dmark03 i scored 6500 yes that low. After installing diferent drivers, diferent settings, I managed to reach 9500 but it is till to low.

Please help i really love this card but i want to play games with smooth fps, tell me what to do.

Thansk and sorry for long post and bad english

whats the rest of ur specs, and did u use driver cleaner pro to make sure ati driver is completely gone?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

uninstall gfx driver
then boot into safe mode
run driver cleaner pro select ati n other ati in the drop box n hit clean should clean all drivers and anything with ati and then install the new gfx driver

Soryr i got a pentium 4 2.8ghz with 1024mb pc3200 ram.
I managed to get now 12300, is that still low? I realized i had Fast writes ON and i also instaled new motherboard drivers.

If you haven't done so already, You really need to do what was suggested above and run Drivercleaner Pro and get rid of all remnants of Ati's video drivers. Also, What brand is your PSU, Wattage and amps are really meaningless if the PSU quality is substandard.

ScottinIndy said:
If you haven't done so already, You really need to do what was suggested above and run Drivercleaner Pro and get rid of all remnants of Ati's video drivers. Also, What brand is your PSU, Wattage and amps are really meaningless if the PSU quality is substandard.

MY PSU has 450W with 18A
Thats the best PSU i can get here in Venezuela and the dosent have brand. I still need to try those driver clean program to see if i get better results, otherwise it would the PSU wich has low quality.
Will post new results after doing a correct cleaning

somin isnt right , you should see 6000+ in 3dmark05 and a damn sight more in 3dmark03. check the drivers as said above , what motherboard you using. and what temps are you seeing on the gpu? check this in the control panel.
could possibly be a dud card or badly mounted cooling fan causing it to throttle down
btw have you used the 2=powersupply cable into one for the power jack on the back of the card? the standard powercables arent man enough to supply all the power so unless like me you have a purpose built cable from the powersupply you will need that 2 into 1 cable to feed the gfx card , one cable wont cut the mustard.

Will try that and also new drivers. My temps are around 50C avg. Games like farcry and half-life 2 with max settings and some AA at 1024x768 res gets nice fps indoors between 100-200. But outdors i get from 20 to max 50 with an avg of 30.

Will see what happens

Sorry for noobnes but i was trying to connect the cable as you said and coulnt find a way maybe i dint understand well, please explain. The card came with a Y form cable, the card came with 1 slot but im using a cable directly from the motherboard

Forgot i have a via motherboard: P4M800-8237

use that Y form cable to connect to powersupply lines from the PSU into the back of the graphics card . they supply the cable for that reason as just one standard power supply cable doesnt have the size to supply the wattage needed afaik.

Last edited:
I get it but the Y cable that came, the single conector wich is powered by 2 others, has the inverse form of the viddeo card meaning that it cant conect to it. Anything i could do about it?

hmmm i coulda sworrn mine came with one that had one female connector and 2x male connectors. maybe i was wrong but i know the new card i have comes with a 2 into 1 for pci-e connector. hopefully some one else with more experience on problems with this card will reply.

The stuff that came with the video card i jsut realized that theri are from 6800 ultra. wth? The manual says isntrucion of 6800 ultra. The cds cointains really old drivers and 6800 demos

So far 3dmark scores are ok for my pc.
6000 on 06 and 13000 on 03. But what really bothers me is the fps on games. I get cool fps at 70-80 evven 100+ indoors. But im getting a minimun of 15-20 in half-life 2 and farcry wich becomes very bad and choppy. Also i tried changing resolutions and i get same fps with 10x76 as 12x10 res. This is totaly out of control

need atleast 20amps for that card but i would go for 24+ your clocks are so low because you cant feed the power it wants i so go for a 30amp on the 12 volt + for that card

dont use any y connectors and give that graphic cards its own line to the psu. there should be nothing atached to the line that the card is on to the psu unless you have a very top of the line psu.

Back