• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply whining problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danielbourdon

Registered
I am a new member and i want to know something.
I just bought a used iso 300w switching power supply and had a computer store test it and it worked fine, but the store said that a whining sound was coming from it. they said it was probably a capacitor and that the power supply would probably go out soon.
Can somebody tell me what the problem might be.

It could be a capacitor going bad. However, depending on the sound, it could also be the fan. You can stick a pencil/paperclip in it to stop the fan temporarily and see if the noise goes away. However, if the noise is a steady, somewhat high-pitched whining, I'd say it's most likely a capacitor going bad. If that's the case, then you should cease using the unit and RMA/replace it immediately.

It could be a capacitor going bad. However, depending on the sound, it could also be the fan. You can stick a pencil/paperclip in it to stop the fan temporarily and see if the noise goes away. However, if the noise is a steady, somewhat high-pitched whining, I'd say it's most likely a capacitor going bad. If that's the case, then you should cease using the unit and RMA/replace it immediately.
I wouldn't stick a pencil or paperclip into the fan because there's exposed high voltage just beyond the fan, and hard stuff can break fan blades. It's a lot safer to use something soft that can't break off, like a plastic straw or some rubber or plastic tubing.

I wouldn't stick a pencil or paperclip into the fan because there's exposed high voltage just beyond the fan, and hard stuff can break fan blades. It's a lot safer to use something soft that can't break off, like a plastic straw or some rubber or plastic tubing.

+1 to that.
Nothing conductive, that's *#@$Y% dangerous.

I expect that PSU is dead by this point, but the "don't stick conductive stuff into a PSU" point stands.

That PSU is long gone! I posted this issue over 3 years ago, and didn't know anything about computers back then. I now know how dangerous some computer components are, and have even built a few computers myself. Thanks for the tips guys, even though I don't really need them anymore!

Personally, I like using nylon cable ties. It won't damage the fan blade, and it won't break off and cause issues with the electronics.

Back