• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott in the bat cave computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sophisticated said:
lol i kno what you said buddy....u seem to keep getting the E's till you get the magic egg huh..i kno its out there....
no i just wanted to try them and found a couple good deals on them. this 2.8e will be leaving soon though. i just ordered a 3.0c from newegg. hope to get a wu stepping.

Hey Max, that's funny. I just ordered a 3.0C from NewEgg also in hopes of getting a WU. Sorry to hear that your first experience with a Prescott wasn't too hot - or it was. I'm surprised it took that much voltage to get there. Mine requires 1.55v at 3.5GHz and I felt it was too much for 24/7 100% load operation (FAH x2). However, I did find that lapping my Prescott improved temps by 6°C. I was pleasantly surprised to get that much of an improvement, but I'm glad I did it. Using an SP-94 and Panaflo 92mm 57cfm. Maybe I mounted it better this time, but it's still a good improvement.

Hope we both get a WU. Did you order OEM or retail? I ordered OEM, hope that doesn't turn out to be a mistake.

KrisMCool said:
Hey Max, that's funny. I just ordered a 3.0C from NewEgg also in hopes of getting a WU. Sorry to hear that your first experience with a Prescott wasn't too hot - or it was. I'm surprised it took that much voltage to get there. Mine requires 1.55v at 3.5GHz and I felt it was too much for 24/7 100% load operation (FAH x2). However, I did find that lapping my Prescott improved temps by 6°C. I was pleasantly surprised to get that much of an improvement, but I'm glad I did it. Using an SP-94 and Panaflo 92mm 57cfm. Maybe I mounted it better this time, but it's still a good improvement.

Hope we both get a WU. Did you order OEM or retail? I ordered OEM, hope that doesn't turn out to be a mistake.
one of the guys here ordered a retail and got a wu, but then ordered another retail and got the other so its really a crap shoot. it was just a couple dollars more so i went ahead with the retail in hopes those cycle through stock faster since most average buyers dont go for the chip by itself.

lets X our fingers :D

I was wondering which would cycle faster, OEM or retail. Just didn't bother to ask before buying. LuckyMan just ordered 5! :eek: Maybe I can buy one of his if he gets lucky and I don't. You too. I haven't seen so many crapshoots since I lived in Vegas, and I never thought I was a gambler.

KrisMCool said:
I was wondering which would cycle faster, OEM or retail. Just didn't bother to ask before buying. LuckyMan just ordered 5! :eek: Maybe I can buy one of his if he gets lucky and I don't. You too. I haven't seen so many crapshoots since I lived in Vegas, and I never thought I was a gambler.
if i don't get one first time i'll probably order another one. in other news my chip shipped yesterday, but from the La Puente office not from Jersey... hopefully not a bad sign.

Mine shipped from CA also, even though I'm in NC - much closer to NJ. Fedex shows my package is already in town but they won't let me pick it up. Jerks. Won't get it until Tuesday. Jerks. I've had a run of mediocre chips and would like to get something above average for a change. Good luck to us both.

So how is your 2.8E treating you, Max? I noticed you have it at 2800 in your sig - problems or just not OC'd yet? Sorry for highjacking this thread.

KrisMCool said:
Mine shipped from CA also, even though I'm in NC - much closer to NJ. Fedex shows my package is already in town but they won't let me pick it up. Jerks. Won't get it until Tuesday. Jerks. I've had a run of mediocre chips and would like to get something above average for a change. Good luck to us both.

So how is your 2.8E treating you, Max? I noticed you have it at 2800 in your sig - problems or just not OC'd yet? Sorry for highjacking this thread.
max oc is 3150mhz with 1.71vcore which yeilds 78c core temps and 82c pwm temps. i am running it at 2800 so my core drops to 58c load and 45c pwm with reduction of power to 1.38 stock.

Wow! Sorry to hear that about your Prescott. That's a lotta vcore. They do pull a lot of juice, don't they? At least the improved hyperthreading was legit - running 2 instances of FAH is one of the only times when my Prescott beats my Northwood at equivalent speeds.

bad news for you kris, read a thread earlier that said sl6wu was retail only, no trays. :(

whether that is accurate remains to be seen however. glad i ordered a retail :)

edit: nm, you found it :)

I'm now wondering if I should just return it unopened, pay the restocking fee and order a retail in it's place. The question of whether WUs were OEM or retail had been asked but not answered several times in these forums before I placed my order. I must have no luck at all when it comes to CPUs.

lol, I know how you feel KrisMcool. All my AXPs were relatively early steppings and didn't do so well... my celly 1300 was the first stepping... tbird arga... and now a b0 2.26B. oh well.

and why is it that none of my axps will hit 2.4 on air? :rolleyes:

anyway, back to the discussion... methinks when that d0 stepping comes out some MUCH higher clocks'll be reached with FAR lower temps...else all is not well in intel land..........

Back