• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott in the bat cave computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vio1 said:
so how are the space heaters? Havent heard from Prescott owners for a while.... hype died down?
We've all settled into a warm relationship with them ;)

Good one, TC. ;)

Hey TC, since you have an AI7, what is your CPU/system/PWM temps? You are not using air cooling, right? Just wondering if my theory about warm air blowing off the CPU heat sink and onto the northbridge/power mosfets is correct.

Correct I'm using a koolance at the moment - vapo is sitting here for a lazy sunday maybe. At 3700 1.55 volts the cpu is about 53-55C, system is about 27-29C, and PWM with no air flow is about 85-90C. Need to get a fan on top asap.

Very disappointing. I've tried everything I can think of to cool down this Prescott on my Abit AI7. The PWM temps are just too high for my tastes.

Temps for air cooled Prescott 2.8 overclocked to 3.4 gig on an Abit AI7 as posted earlier (using SLK-947U heatsink and 80mm Delta 68 CFM fan with two 80mm intake case fans and two 80mm exhaust case fans... not including the PS fan).

Idle: CPU=39, system=30, PWM=29
Load: CPU=51, system=33, PWM=48

So, I installed a 92mm Smart fan (that changes RPM due to temp) on the CPU heatsink. Load CPU temps were 7 degrees higher and PWM temp were 14 degrees higher (dang).

I went back to the Delta fan and reversed it on the CPU heatsink so it was sucking, not blowing (get your minds out of the gutter, kids). Load CPU and system temps were both 4 degrees lower than baseline, but PWM temp was 9 degrees higher. Guess it likes air blowing across the mosfets after all.

Next, I put everything back the way it was originally, and pulled the northbridge cooler off, took time to clean all the bubble gum thermal gunk off, and installed my new Thermaltake Tiger 2 cooler that I lapped and used Arctic Silver 3. ARRRG, system temps were 2 degrees higher at both idle and load. So, I lapped the stock heatsink and installed it back on with AS3. Back to the original temps, no better even with it lapped and using AS3.... sheesh!

Time to get serious, I pulled the front intake case fan out and replaced it with a 120mm one. I added another exhaust 80mm fan to the top of the case. I replaced the wimpy 80mm side intake fan with a high output Sunon 80mm fan. Finally I made a little progress, here are my results:

Idle: CPU=36, system=24, PWM=27
Load: CPU=49, system=28, PWM=47

My final effort was to spend a couple hours cutting down some aluminum finned RAM sinks that I had gathering dust and installed these sinks on every mosfet that I could on this AI7 mobo. I about cried... no improvement at all... none, zip, nada, zero. I give up.

Sorry to hear that, batboy. I was hoping mosfet heatsinks would make a difference for you, then I would do the same. My E needed higher voltage earlier than anyone else reported. 1.525v at FSB 245, didn't try higher because the heat worried me. I hope you have more luck in the future, and keep us posted.

Back to the top. Every once in a while someone starts a thread claiming there ain't much posted about the Prescotts.

BTW, the prescott is back on my IC7 which is in my watercooled system. Seems to like it there best. Here is a pic.

watercooled+Prescott.jpg

got my 2.8E today from azzo.
needed ~1.42V for 3.5ghz
and 3.7ghz was completely a no go. no matter what volts i threw at it.
better than both of my m0s, but worse than my old, faithful
and now sold D1..
Mobo is IC7, cooling: 25-30C water.
Oh and btw - i sold the prescott after a few hours of testing.
But i DID see those 60C+ pwm and 70C cpu temps :D

But i'm totally out of ideas now..

caater said:
got my 2.8E today from azzo.
needed ~1.42V for 3.5ghz
and 3.7ghz was completely a no go. no matter what volts i threw at it.
better than both of my m0s, but worse than my old, faithful
and now sold D1..
Mobo is IC7, cooling: 25-30C water.
Oh and btw - i sold the prescott after a few hours of testing.
But i DID see those 60C+ pwm and 70C cpu temps :D

But i'm totally out of ideas now..
well stock voltage for a 2.8e is 1.4 so 1.42 for 3.5 is pretty good.

Actually, I think default vcore is variable on the Prescotts. My default vcore was 1.3875v.

batboy said:
Actually, I think default vcore is variable on the Prescotts. My default vcore was 1.3875v.
ah. i was just going by what newegg had on its specs.

Damn, i wanted to buy a 3.2C, but i ended up with this :D
Oh well, let's test it then..

Attachments

• 3e.jpg
    3e.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 354
i must test it again because i found out my pump is.. abit fkd up :s
but i smelled some smoke when PWM temp went over 75C :eek:

Attachments

• pres4010.jpg
    pres4010.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 326
well i couldn't let you guys have all the fun...

i got a used prescott 2.8e. its not a great ocer though. i do have another one coming today however.

right now stable appears to be 240fsb 3360mhz with 1.71vcore. i can boot up to 3640mhz with 1.71 but nothing will get into windows til i drop down to 3400. just like my 2.6c's with 3250 stable and 3600 bootable.

load temps are you already know.. are very hot.

cpu - 78c
system - 30c
pwm - 81c

this is on a abit AI7 with SLK947u + 92mm 3000rpm panaflo.

yes i know the temps are way too high, but i don't care. its just something for me to play around with anyways. hopefully the one i get later today will be better so i don't have to use so much vcore.

i backed off to 230fsb which is stable with 1.66vcore cpu is down to 71 and pwm down to 72. all of this is with an open case and a big house fan stuffed up next to it blowing at full speed.

Sophisticated said:
didnt seem like you got a good Oc fro that Prescott and that is very hot
if you read my post i said it wasn't a good oc'r and yes i said it was hot...

Back