• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott in the bat cave computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crash Havnt seen that name in a while. Where you been hiding??

Batboy and the rest dont have a 3.2e, because all of us order the only one's available last week. The 2.8e's Crash. Soon as i can find a 3.2e, i'll give it a shot.

Buy one and join the fun

If Intel gets the wattage down for the new chips isn't the motherboard components still going to heat way up?

Even a 20% reduction would still have the motherboard & CPU drawing more power than a "C" chip and would require more cooling of the MB/CPU. If I read it correctly, that is.

To me the chip heat isn't the issue but the amount of current the MB, NB, SB, etc have to take. We all have had hot CPU's to deal with in the past (at least I have) but usually not all the rest of the components in the system all at once!

Great job to all your pioneers!!! I have had great success in my overclosking by waiting for everyone else before I hop on the band wagon, so keep it up!!!

lbbo2002 makes a good point about the Prescott pulling lots of power. That really heats up the mosfets on the mobo. I have good northbridge cooling, but that still don't seem to be much of a problem compared to the PWM heat. Remember, I have watercooling and really good case ventilation. Overclocking the Prescott will require us to get creative with cooling again. I'm already planning on AS epoxying little heatsinks onto the mosfets. The Northwoods sort of spoiled us, I think. No more impressive O/C's with stock coolers and minimal case ventilation.

Ok, as requested... default speed Northwood 2.8C vs. default speed Prescott 2.8E

Sandra CPU ALU:
2.8C=8768, 2.8E=8170

Sandra CPU FPU:
2.8C=2425/5283, 2.8E=2292/4807

Sandra memory bandwidth:
2.8C=4890/4859, 2.8E=4961/4964

PCmark2002 CPU
2.8C=6920, 2.8E=5930

PCmark2002 memory
2.8C=9488, 2.8E=11016

PCmark2002 HDD
2.8C=1281, 2.8E=1270

PCmark2004
2.8C=4416, 2.8E=4383

3Dmark2001 (Radeon 9700 Pro at default speed and settings)
2.8C=16047, 2.8E=16017

lbbo2002 said:

To me the chip heat isn't the issue but the amount of current the MB, NB, SB, etc have to take. We all have had hot CPU's to deal with in the past (at least I have) but usually not all the rest of the components in the system all at once!

I was saying the same thing before...that's why I'm thinking of skiping the prescotts and getting a 2.8c

at least my mobo wont melt after a few months.....:p

mica

Seems like a lot of cooling to get to 3.9, but we have to remember these are oems and may not reflect the retail cpu. I'll still pick one up when the 3.0/3.2 come out. Just for the fun of it.

I am not into WinXP/9X or anything like that. I have not worked with WinXP/98 for about 2 years now.
Do the tests yet alone XP/9x have the capabilities to use the new SSE3 instructions?
I was wondering if those might help with the performance of the prescott?

I think I read that there are a couple of programs, but didn't benefit it. If I remember right it was in the anand article. The way I see these chips is that they are most likely ones that were sold to the suppliers with the intention that they were going into systems. That's why they are oem chips. Considering the yield problems that intel is having. I suspect the 1, the retail versions will be better and two the higher clock chips will be better. Its still much to early to tell.

Temps arent an issue so far. 2.8e @ 275 fsb @ vcore 1.475 running Seti @ -11*c. I'm gonna let it run for a bit then bump it up to 280 fsb.

28e.JPG

ohhHH big nuttzzzz that is NICE! super low voltage too!

i'm assuming you haven't maxed it out yet? are you going to run the gamut of benchies once you've completely turned that sucker out?

Gl on 280, and here's to you gettin 286 :clap:

Oh yeah I'll bench it once I reach my limit. I'm running at 4.0GHz right now at 1.60v. Its running Seti @ -4*c. I'm taking my Mach I in tomorrow to regass it with R507 so it should run even cooler.

Prescotts seem pretty consitant on the overclocks so far. Not like northwoods where you dont know what you get. Ive have northwoods that would OC more than 3-400 mhz.

Batboy!

Are you doing this whole thing on an AI7?

There are rumors all over that the AI7 cannot supply enough power to the Prescott and it can't run a 2.8E above ~230 FSB. I read this first in a HardOCP test.

So is this true or false?

I think I rather try to get a SL6Z3 ;)

I was using an Abit IC7 since that was in my watercooled case. I have a new AI7 that I installed in my new black Enermax Rainbow case (with all the pretty lights), but I need to install drives and load Windows still. I booted it up last night with an old 2 gig harddrive with Win98 just to make sure it worked and it did. But, I was only running at default speed. I was hoping to finish putting it together tonight, but I got sidetracked. My g/f has big plans for me this weekend (Valentine's Day in case you guys forgot... better buy those flowers and candy and cards tomorrow). I'll test the AI7 on Sunday when I get back. Meanwhile, TC here on the forum has a new AI7 and Prescott. Maybe he'll be up and running this weekend. Watch for a post from him.

Back