• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Press Release) G.SKILL Releases DDR3 3000MHz 32GB (8GBx4) Extreme Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
G.Skill sent this press release and I wanted to pass it on. The frequencies you can get with Haswell are just insane. They might end up useless depending on your CPU and/or motherboard (see our Haswell overclocking guide), but if you get a good CPU with a good IMC, it would be pretty sweet to run this kind of speed.
G.SKILL Releases The World’s Fastest DDR3 32GB (8GBx4) Memory at 3000MHz Extreme Speed Designed for 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors and Z87 Motherboards

- With Burn-In Test Screen to Affirm G.SKILL Memory’s Maximum Stability

Taipei, Taiwanー2nd June, 2013ーG.SKILL International Co. Ltd., the worldwide leading high performance memory designer and manufacturer, is pleased to announce the fastest, new DDR3 Memory Kit, “DDR3 3000MHz 32GB(4x8GB)”; it is the latest addition to the TridentX Series designed for the latest 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors and Z87 system.

TridentX Image with Z87.JPG

Burn-In Test Verifies Maximum Stability

G.SKILL presents the ultimate speed of DDR3 3000 MHz C12 with up to 32GB (4x8GB) ultra high capacity. The following screen shows the kit passing Memtest pro with the low voltage of 1.65v, this was achieved using an Intel 4770K processor and the ASUS Maximus VI Extreme.

burn in test screen.PNG

Memory: G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 3000MHz 32GB(8GBx4)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Extreme

Specifications:
In line with the ultimate DDR3 3000MHz 32GB kit, G.SKILL also announces a series of ultra high speed memory designed for Intel Haswell CPUs and Z87 motherboards. The following chart shows the detailed specifications of the new kits.

Specs Table Screenshot.JPG

XMP Ready
The new G.SKILL TridentX kits come with the latest Intel XMP standard developed for the 4th Gen Intel Core Processor & Z87 platform. It provides PC enthusiasts a trouble free overclocking experience to boost their systems for extreme levels of performance, while retaining system stability.

Lifetime Warranty
All G.SKILL memory products come with a lifetime warranty and the G.SKILL technical team is always ready to provide consumers with complete technical support via online forums, facebook, telephone and email.

About G.SKILL
Established in 1989 by computer hardware enthusiasts, G.SKILL is a leading memory & Solid State Drive manufacturer based in Taipei, Taiwan. The company's top priority is quality. All of the products undergo a series of the most rigorous tests and strict quality control processes. In addition to a committed, qualified IC testing house to examine the products, all G.SKILL products are 100% tested to ensure the highest yield, reliability and quality.

I'm happy to say we have a DDR3-2933 kit on-hand and will test it extensively for you. :)

asus-m6e-66.jpg

I can't verify by looking at the chips, but I can verify they're single-sided so your nose is probably dead on.

TBH, I wish chip OEMs would go back to low latency. I would love to see kits like the DDR3-2000 / 7-9-7-24 Flares come back. I lament the IC manufacturers are forcing a focus on only frequencies.

My Team Xtreem is single sided MFR and it's about the same IC that you can find in most 2800+ kits right now ( better or worse , depends from binning ). SN says it's hynix but of course I can be wrong ;)
I'm looking forward to see full review of this 2933 kit :)

Old kits had tighter main timings but new have tighter sub timings. It looks like performance isn't really so bad even if you see high CL. All depends how manufacturer set sub timings but often they're not as tight as they could be because of compatibility with multiple platforms/boards.

Apart from benching... Now that speeds are so much higher. Is there still no tangible difference between 3000mhz vs 1600mhz for general use and gaming?

Or is it still very much 'really only for benching'?

I'll try to explore that in the review and bench several different speeds. It might make it take a little longer but should be worth the time to find out.

Apart from benching... Now that speeds are so much higher. Is there still no tangible difference between 3000mhz vs 1600mhz for general use and gaming?

I too would like to know this.

I doubt the difference would be enough to warrant spending more on RAM, when the prices have gone so high

If I remember correctly, Tom's did an investigation on this with gaming and found that below 1600 is a problem while anything higher only gives a slight boost ~2-3% and it really isn't perceivable in most games.
As for generic everday use, no clue but my gut tells me no.

Edit: Source --> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409.html

My intuition tells me that it won't matter in the everday/gaming. The computer just isn't using the resources at that speed. So for gaming, unless its a very CPU demanding game with tons of objects with calculations every frame (requiring tons of memory to be allocated/returned from and to the memory heap) it wont benefit you much. Most games don't return most of the memory, but keep it for the entirety of the game since GB size is easier to come by then high clocks.

The only way I can see it making a real difference is for high-end FEM simulators, like HFSS.

Mmm....DDR3-2933. These IMCs are fun. Can't wait to see how far this kit goes. :)

oc-sp32m-trix2933-stock-wmb.jpg

Good lord, that's straight up insane. Look at the difference between the kits too!

The one I have - DDR3-2933, 12-14-14-35: $400
The other kit, same capacity: DDR3-3000, 12-14-14-35: $2,000

So, you get a 66 MHz boost....for $1,600. The DDR3-2933 kit is already just for benching, but I can't see even the most wealthy overclockers spending five times the amount just to get over DDR3-3000.

That said, they bin these things tight. The ICs going into the 3000 kits are the best of the best of the best. I am having trouble getting this kit to hit 3000 (I've gone up to 1.75V) and have reached out for assistance with settings to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

On the plus side the timings tighten at DDR3-2800 nicely. Plus with Haswell unless you have an insanely good chip, you can't use this fast memory with the CPU clocked high also.

Last edited:
I thought that would cause a stir. It's probably a really nice cooler though :rofl:

Well, you've seen the latest 32m WR by 8-pack I assume...his were probably some different type of Hynix chip cause of the spd profile (2666mhz 1t?) but he trumped the previous one done on 3000mhz cl5 BBSE with that.

I too like psc/bbse, but it seems like these new sticks will outperform them :(

Back