• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pro needed, Beep sequence, think i have a dead mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devourment

Registered
Where to start,
Everything turn on but its a total black screen (no siganl alert gone but getting a black screen). I tried: other RAM stick, other GPU. The thing is that i dont have any PC speaker to diagnose the beep sequences so i went to a shop near where i live to burrow one.

The shop is pretty bad, but hey, they have PC speaker so i was happy. Thing is that its a no beeps at all. But were sure its between the board or the CPU. We turn the pc on without the CPU and still nothing, no beeb, nothing. Im not a pro in troubleshooting this kind of thing and the tech had no knowledge with AMD. So my question, even without the CPU, what is suppose to happen when u fire up ur pc?? He told me that, with Intel, something is suppose to happen... In my case, i had no beeps at all even without the CPU in... Before doing a RMA, i want to know if its the board or the CPU.

What you guys think and did you saw something like that before?
thx (sorry for my english, im french)

The processor may have had too much pressure.
May have been crushed into fragments from the heatsink. Even with IHS.

No the processor is fine, well i think... Not too much pressure from heatsink.
Anyone else?

Do the fans spin up?
Did you add new hardware?
Did you notice any other problems (regardless of how small) before you had this one?

Check all the power plugs. Unplug them and plug them back in to make sure they're all correct. Did you recently have a power outage or a power spike from the wall outlet?

You removed and reset the CPU - did you check for broken or bent pins? Did you look at the socket to make sure there was no foreign material in there?

Have you tried running the system outside the case with a minimum of components?
(one RAM stick, no HDDs or DVD)

Video and RAM problems should give you a beep code. PSU, CPU, and some board problems won't ...

Did you or someone else build this system custom or is this a ready-made box store computer from Dell, HP, e-machines, etc?

What you described is common when people forget to connect the P4 supplemental power connector to the motherboard. There is a main power connector with 20-24 pins and there is a secondary one with with 4-8 pins, usually near the CPU socket.

I would also test the PSU by removing the 24 pin main power connector and jumping it with a paper clip that bridges any green wire with any black wire on that main 24 pin connector plug. If no lights come on or no fans spin, the PSU is probably dead.

And if this is a newly assembled custom-built PC and this is the first attempt to power it up I would also remove the motherboard and make sure someone didn't leave an motherboard standoff in the wrong place on the tray that may be grounding out against the underside of the board.

Back