• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

probably a stupid question but i gotta know!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

hello everyone. my motherboard is an asrock 990fx extreme 3. it says right on the box it can handle a 140 watt cpu. does tbs mean it will hurt the board to tun more than that? i mean an fx 6300 uses 164 watts at full load at stock. let alone overclocked. unless im looking at this wrong.

been building for a whike, and this question just struck me. m embarrassed.

thanks in advance.

sorry if i am being a bit ahort spoken. at work. would sincerely appreciate an answer. thanks agaib

can handle a 140 watt cpu = That rating applies to the TDP rating given to a cpu by AMD in the specs for the particular cpu.

Now that board seems to have 4 + 1 phases for power to the cpu and the North Bridge. It will not like being overclocked greatly. Maybe to 4.4Ghz before the VRM circuit begins to lose effeciency. But running the cpu as designed with all the 'green stuff' turned on, it will likely do very well and as said should stand up to a mild/medium overclock to about 4.3/4.4Ghz or so with very good cpu cooling.
RGone...

idk where you got your wattage from. but your way under my fx8350 is a 125 watt cpu. you are just fine where you are

oh ok. 140 tdp makes more sense. and yea rgone, ik my board sucks for overclocking. the north bridge makes the cpu throttle alot as well. even with two 5 cfm fans attached to the heatsink itself.

and ryan, i was referring to the power consumption of the fx 6300 under 100% load. site i was looking at stated it uses 163-164 watts under stress test loads. was worried i ws baking my board lol. ah well. im juat lookinh to milk this cpu/ mobo combo until steamroller. and i thats a flop, ill be going intel anyway. thanks alot guys.

5CFM fans do not move enough air to really help with the VRM sinks. When I was using my water block which handicaps air blowing in that area because of using W/Cooling, I had a 92MM fan blowing on the VRM sinks, etc. Now that did lower the temps some but I have seen people using 3 of those low CFM 40mm fans on Sabertooth boards and they were moving to larger fans since the small 5 to 7 CFM fans just don't move enough air.

As a side note, I would suggest that there is not a real way to calculate watts drawn by a cpu. Free HWMonitor from CPUID in the newer vesions gives a watts for the "package" which on earlier versions of HWM was related to the Cores themselves.

Wattage of a cpu is generally represented like this. The power consumed by a CPU is approximately proportional to CPU frequency, and to the square of the CPU voltage:

P = C V^2 f

(where C is capacitance, f is frequency and V is voltage).

The problem for me in that formula was with the capacitance. It is not known.

AMD has used a number called TDP for years and a few years ago began to use a new number called ACP to better describe power draw for users of many computers like in office or IT situations.

When you begin to really look into and try to get one's head around TDP numbers for Intel or AMD you will see a great deal of what seems 'double-speak'. There are no hard and fast ideas except in what the cpu makers release for TDP and that is not a peak value at all and is not an actual Watts rating for the cpu.

In looking I found that AMD says they finally drilled holes in a cpu to allow internal monitoring of a K-10 cpu I believe it was and they then moved to an ACP power consumption spec for mostly server type cpus.

So for someone at a DIY level, to actually predict how much power/current a particular cpu will consume is rather far outside real predictability. IMO.

It is for sure that your overclocked FX-6300 draws some hefty power and the heat from the FX cpus is a huge indicator of such conditions. You don't have heat given off without hefty power draws.

You say that board sucks because the North Bridge makes the cpu throttle a lot and I expect it is not the CPU_NB at all but the built in safety net of the VRMs that supply power to the cpu that are getting either hot or are having a huge current being drawn thru them and the board senses such and reduces the cpu speed to reduce the power that would need to be supplied to the cpu.

Sorry for so wordy but there are times when certain posts/ideas just seem to need a little extra explanation to the extent possible. We are all in a bad spot trying to supply enough power to support FX processors when over-speeded and to deal with the huge HEAT put off by the processor and power circuits when the cpu is being over-sped. All that said if the safety nets built into the FX processors and the boards are not defeated, the FX processor can be used on many boards. It is when we turn off all the green stuff and turbocore and have ALL cores on and overclocked, that we really need primo boards and cooling.
RGone...

5CFM fans do not move enough air to really help with the VRM sinks. When I was using my water block which handicaps air blowing in that area because of using W/Cooling, I had a 92MM fan blowing on the VRM sinks, etc. Now that did lower the temps some but I have seen people using 3 of those low CFM 40mm fans on Sabertooth boards and they were moving to larger fans since the small 5 to 7 CFM fans just don't move enough air.

As a side note, I would suggest that there is not a real way to calculate watts drawn by a cpu. Free HWMonitor from CPUID in the newer vesions gives a watts for the "package" which on earlier versions of HWM was related to the Cores themselves.

Wattage of a cpu is generally represented like this. The power consumed by a CPU is approximately proportional to CPU frequency, and to the square of the CPU voltage:

P = C V^2 f

(where C is capacitance, f is frequency and V is voltage).

The problem for me in that formula was with the capacitance. It is not known.

AMD has used a number called TDP for years and a few years ago began to use a new number called ACP to better describe power draw for users of many computers like in office or IT situations.

When you begin to really look into and try to get one's head around TDP numbers for Intel or AMD you will see a great deal of what seems 'double-speak'. There are no hard and fast ideas except in what the cpu makers release for TDP and that is not a peak value at all and is not an actual Watts rating for the cpu.

In looking I found that AMD says they finally drilled holes in a cpu to allow internal monitoring of a K-10 cpu I believe it was and they then moved to an ACP power consumption spec for mostly server type cpus.

So for someone at a DIY level, to actually predict how much power/current a particular cpu will consume is rather far outside real predictability. IMO.

It is for sure that your overclocked FX-6300 draws some hefty power and the heat from the FX cpus is a huge indicator of such conditions. You don't have heat given off without hefty power draws.

You say that board sucks because the North Bridge makes the cpu throttle a lot and I expect it is not the CPU_NB at all but the built in safety net of the VRMs that supply power to the cpu that are getting either hot or are having a huge current being drawn thru them and the board senses such and reduces the cpu speed to reduce the power that would need to be supplied to the cpu.

Sorry for so wordy but there are times when certain posts/ideas just seem to need a little extra explanation to the extent possible. We are all in a bad spot trying to supply enough power to support FX processors when over-speeded and to deal with the huge HEAT put off by the processor and power circuits when the cpu is being over-sped. All that said if the safety nets built into the FX processors and the boards are not defeated, the FX processor can be used on many boards. It is when we turn off all the green stuff and turbocore and have ALL cores on and overclocked, that we really need primo boards and cooling.
RGone...

wordy but well.worded. thanks for the clarification. and you were right. its not my NB throttling, its the VRMs. MY pc fails to post with any voltage past 1.375, or anything beyond the 4.2ghz i have it at now. yet even through all this, the NB heatsink is cool to the touch. so even though my tiny fans only move 5 cfm each. the two of em are doing their job. the NB heatsibk used to be scalding to the touch. i found a comfortable speed and temp ratio. (temps never go above 32C with 23C ambient). just gonna run this combo until my next upgrade. at which point, i wont skimp on the motherboard. thanks again rgone

Back