• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

project: Nearly Impossible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A bit confused by the 5.1 rev picture... Are you going to use a PCI-E riser cable?
If so, note that you'll have to find/buy a really good (expensive) shielded one... you dont want artifacts or dropouts while drafting/rendering :)

As for intakes, if you want the rads at thetop, then the intakes at the bottom of course , although that really isn't chisseld in stone :)

Nice project anyways... looking forward to its evolution

A bit confused by the 5.1 rev picture... Are you going to use a PCI-E riser cable?
If so, note that you'll have to find/buy a really good (expensive) shielded one... you dont want artifacts or dropouts while drafting/rendering :)

Yes, I am planning on using a PCI-E riser cable so that I can show off the custom full cover water block that will be going on there. Plus its going to work out better with the "tubing saver" window panel that I am designing. I'll post pics of that once the design is done.

The shielded cables seem fairly hard to find.. Do you know of any good sources?

Yes, I am planning on using a PCI-E riser cable so that I can show off the custom full cover water block that will be going on there. Plus its going to work out better with the "tubing saver" window panel that I am designing. I'll post pics of that once the design is done.

The shielded cables seem fairly hard to find.. Do you know of any good sources?

From the top of my head, no.
But Show4Pro might have a source
check the maxxplanck "barber shop" build :)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/...e-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed/0_20

EDIT: he used 3M shielded cables > $80,- per cable :eek:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403
http://www.overclock.net/t/1427731/pci-express-extender-cables-benchmarked/0_20
But you should still check out his build :thup:

Last edited:
5052 for the aluminum? I'm curious as to why you are going with 1/8in sheet, seems rather thick to me. For that waterblock do you have access to thermal simulation or flow analysis inside the solidworks you use regularly?

From the top of my head, no.
But Show4Pro might have a source
check the maxxplanck "barber shop" build :)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/...e-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed/0_20

Thanks for that link! I saw that build a while back, but now I couldn't remember where to find it...

5052 for the aluminum? I'm curious as to why you are going with 1/8in sheet, seems rather thick to me. For that waterblock do you have access to thermal simulation or flow analysis inside the solidworks you use regularly?

Yes, it is 5052 and I am using 1/8" because we have a bunch of scrap at work that is large enough to make my case parts. Plus the thickness will give me a really rigid case, and enough thickness to hold screw threads nicely.
The version of solidworks that I am running has flow analysis which I am using to design my blocks, unfortunately I do not have any thermal simulation so I am basing my design off of popular production waterblocks. I figure as long as I maintain similar water to copper surface area, water velocity and turbulence, I should be able to get close to the same performance as the popular production blocks.

nice nice. i was specifically asking that based upon cost so great! and no pems!!!! are you using flow Xpress? or full suite? if you would like i would be happy to run any in depth flow analysis you would like or any thermal load stuffs you need, in fact i would enjoy. I have access and use that all on a regular basis

nice nice. i was specifically asking that based upon cost so great! and no pems!!!! are you using flow Xpress? or full suite? if you would like i would be happy to run any in depth flow analysis you would like or any thermal load stuffs you need, in fact i would enjoy. I have access and use that all on a regular basis

I am just using flow Xpress.. but I may have to take you up on your offer once I am close to my final block design. :thup:

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted any updates for a while, things have been crazy busy for me lately.

But onto the news!
I purchased an i7 4930k, 16gb of corsair vengeance memory, and I have a corsair RM750 power supply on order, so I will hopefully be able to run some hardware tests soon. I also played around with paracord cable sleeving on my pump, which turned out really good. I can post up some pictures if anyone is interested, but I suppose that stuff would be better suited to a different sub section of the forum.. I plan on sleeving all the PSU cables as well as any other cabling that is sleevable.

Now that I have most of my components and a large part of the overall cost dealt with, I am feeling a bit more comfortable finalizing the case and cooling loop parts designs. I am hoping that progress will pick up now that I can focus on building rather than component research and selection.

Everything involving this project is relevant. Post away all the pics you want! :D

If you are going to do custom blocks, Make the CPU and MoBo chipset block all in one.

Otherwise I would just buy off the shelf blocks and custom make new tops for them.

Once you get your designs done, check with a machinist. I can't count the amount of times I have seen designs come in from drafting only to have to throw them back.
Yuppers.

Even though I'm a tool & diemaker for almost 30 years, the word machinist is used a bit casually these days and I'm running and programming CNC more over the years even though I still get called on to do the fine manual things a lot.

But what he said :)

that and I hate 5052 for most things, I prefer 6061, but I guess that would be what you would use for sheet metal bending.

6061 would crack bending it like that I guess.

I hates sheet metal myself, he he, though I've had to do it over time in some shops.

Last edited:
That will be a pretty frigging thick aluminum case.

Could be a good thing, ya, solid with good heat disapation.

Aluminum tank, depending on how it's done I guess.

Yeah and I agree with Snowman up there on a lot of things, I do Mastercam on a HAAS VMC at work myself everyday when not running a few manual machines on the side.

And have done a lot of work on copper in the past, it does get a bit gummy and heats up and expands, used to make a lot of precision fixtures using it and it's a learned trick to grind it flat to say the least.

That will be a pretty frigging thick aluminum case.

Could be a good thing, ya, solid with good heat disapation.

Aluminum tank, depending on how it's done I guess.

Yeah you might want to mass property that bad boy in SW... Could be pretty heavy.

Unless he is making any physical connection to the case with something hot, the difference in heat you actually transfer through the case walls will be pretty much be identical. Especially if his primary vehicle for heat transfer is the water.

Yeah it will be heavy, but that doesn't concern me too much as I am more concerned with build quality rather than weight.

On another note, you guys got me thinking here.. Maybe I should design my reservoir to transfer heat into the case wall for some extra cooling.. it wouldn't be of much benefit, but it definitely couldn't hurt right?

If you're making the case out of aluminum it sure could hurt, depending on how you do it.

The res would have to have a copper wall that bolts up to the aluminum case. Maybe put some TIM in there or a thermal pad to aid in heat transfer. Might not be worth the material cost though as I already have more than enough rad for my components.

You'll be adding not much surface area (compared to what's on a rad) for quite a bit of work...also copper is expensiveeeeee.

Cable Sleeving Update:

here is a picture of my first attempt at Paracord sleeving.
picture.php

I wasnt happy with the shrink tube at the pump end, so I took it off and removed the back plate of the pump.
picture.php

Here I am drilling the wiring hole up to 1/4"
picture.php

I cut my new longer sections of paracord and melted a healthy ring into one end to keep it from coming out of the pump back.
picture.php

and here is the final result! a very clean looking pump end. Unfortunately, I had to use shrink tube at the plug end of the rpm wire... but I couldn't see a better way of doing it.
picture.php

Does anyone know of a better way to finish up fan header plugs?

You'll be adding not much surface area (compared to what's on a rad) for quite a bit of work...also copper is expensiveeeeee.

I plan on building my own res anyway so it wouldnt be a lot of extra work, but as I mentioned above, the cost of the copper would likely not be worth it for the small amount of heat dissipation.
a painted aluminum panel would be ideal because its cheap, but I am not sure that I want to risk it in my loop...

maybe I'll try it if I have leftover copper from making my waterblocks.

Back