• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

project: Nearly Impossible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its possible I suppose.. Honestly I dont know enough about some of these things, I am sort of learning as I go.

I know I have had the card working before so I think I will get windows installed and get catalyst control center installed, and then I will try my Firepro again.

I still hope I can find the problem though...

Well, last night I got windows 8.1 pro installed and setup, then I downloaded two different amd driver/software packages for my Firepro card. Neither package could successfully install though...

If I boot up with just the Firepro card installed I still don't get any video at all, although looking at the Q-codes on the board it appears to be posting now (same Q-code as when windows is running).

If I boot with my spare card and the Firepro, I can get into windows, but in device manager the Firepro does not show up under the the display adapters section. There is a whole bunch of things in the other devices section though... and I am thinking it may be in there somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas on why the drivers wont install? or things I can try?

Here is a screenshot of my device manager and the installation error page.

The best interpretation I can come up with is that the driver is failing to install because I have a nvidia card plugged in...

picture.php

picture.php

Wow... thats crazy. Afraid i'm not much help. The fact that it wont load with the default VGA driver on a fresh install is concerning though. Something isn't interfacing correctly (I know thats obvious..)

Do you have a have another system or friend you can test that firepro in just in case?

Do you have a have another system or friend you can test that firepro in just in case?

Unfortunately this is the only tower that I have, but I can take it over to my parents place and test it in one of their systems. Its just a PITA lol.

In the back of my mind I am a bit worried that I somehow wrecked it when I had the heatsink off to measure it up for the custom waterblock even though I was extremely careful with it... :-/

Unfortunately this is the only tower that I have, but I can take it over to my parents place and test it in one of their systems. Its just a PITA lol.

In the back of my mind I am a bit worried that I somehow wrecked it when I had the heatsink off to measure it up for the custom waterblock even though I was extremely careful with it... :-/

I hear ya but I believe that is your only option tbh so you can move on. It's possible while handling it static might have gotten in the way or you crushed the die? I trying to think every possibility here with the info you gave us.

Last edited:
I hear ya but I believe that is your only option tbh so you can move on. It's possible while handling it static might have gotten in the way or you crushed the die? I trying to think every possibility here with the info you gave us.

Both of these seem unlikely with how careful I was, but I will test it out in the same machine that I initially tested it in. I think that will be the most accurate test.

Hey guys, so I have concluded that my graphics card is dead.. It appears as though a small component on the back of the card has fallen off :shrug:
Long story short, I cant fix it so I ordered another one.

But there is some good news too!
1. I have ordered the copper and black acetal for making all of my custom waterblocks as well as a pump top for my D5.
2. I have finally cut the parts for my custom aluminum case!
picture.php

Next step on the case parts is to remove some surface corrosion that was on the material when I got it, then have all the parts bent.

And at some point in the near future, I will have to decide between paint and anodizing. What do you guys think? Would the extra cost for anodizing be worth it?

Well, if painting, you could have gone for any other material :) Since it's alu, anodizing seems a logical step. Either way you have to do something to "fight" fingerprints.
Of course, you can always "finish off" with a few layers of collinite
http://www.collinite.com/

I would agree that anodizing would be the logical choice.
Unfortunately the material had some fairly deep scratches that I could not sand out, so with that in mind I have decided to go with gloss black paint. This way I can fill in the imperfections and sand smooth before painting.
Even though I cant anodize it, I am still glad that I built out of aluminum. I don't think I could have achieved the same build quality with steel, plus it would have been way heavier because I don't have access to super thin steel.

I got all the parts bent today, so now I am waiting for the flat head torx screws that I ordered. Then I can test assemble the case! :D

Here are a few pictures of progress since cutting

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Well I got all the holes threaded in my parts tonight. I found out that if you don't have a proper lubricant for threading, butter works really good.

And once I was all done, I mocked up the case using some fan screws that I had kicking around.
It appears as though the backgauge on the brakepress is not perfectly calibrated, so each bend was placed slightly too far onto the part. This caused the case to be a bit too tall and too short. I will have to figure out a nice way of modifying the side panels so that this is not noticeable (or at least looks like it is supposed to be this way).

Overall though, I am pretty satisfied with how its all coming together.

picture.php

nice

are you planning to use a MB with onboard graphics?
If not, but planning a discrete and assuming "standard" MB orientation... where are you going to put it? I dont see the slot... but maybe its just me, i'm just not seeing it?

nice

are you planning to use a MB with onboard graphics?
If not, but planning a discrete and assuming "standard" MB orientation... where are you going to put it? I dont see the slot... but maybe its just me, i'm just not seeing it?

Nope this is an x79 machine, so no on board graphics available.
Have a look at the renders in post #59 on page 3 of this thread, the graphics cards will be hooked up with pcie riser cables.

I would buy that case.. (well maybe a few changes) but would be cool to see you take this to the next stage!

Taller, room for Monstas 80mm with push pull in the top, would be awesome!

Very nice project!

I would buy that case.. (well maybe a few changes) but would be cool to see you take this to the next stage!

Taller, room for Monstas 80mm with push pull in the top, would be awesome!

Very nice project!

Thanks!
I would agree that changes would have to be made if I was going to produce these. Graphics cards would have normal orientation, the radiator compartments could very easily be made taller, I would add a drive rack for 3.5" drives, etc.

I would definitely have to work with production processes to bring cost down though... it took 14 hours of machining to cut out the parts for this case and that is just ridiculous if you are trying to make money on it lol. The parts would probably have to be laser cut instead of milled out, media blasted instead of sanded, etc.

With all that said, I probably wont be doing a production run. But if someone really wants one, I may consider custom building and shipping for the right price. :)

Build to suit with the frame as a starting point. Offer both VGA orientations! I would LOVE to have the fan side of my 270X visible...

Build to suit with the frame as a starting point. Offer both VGA orientations! I would LOVE to have the fan side of my 270X visible...

This is a good point. :thup:
The rear panel can be swapped out fairly easily so I could make panels designed for both VGA orientations.
This also applies to the top and bottom panels, they can be made any height to create more or less room for radiators and fans, changing these would require new side panels though, unless I design a 3 piece side panel where the middle section always stays the same and each radiator compartment has its own small side panels.

Back