• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: That 80's PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3- I was not too disappointed that the wires showed. After all, what is the use of sleeving with UV reactive sleeves and installing a total of 6x UV CCFLs if I'm going to hide it all? :)

Above everything else, the color is awesome! :attn: But I agree with the others who say you can manage the cables just a wee bit better. I understand you don't have a easy case, and that's fine (mine is not wire-friendly either) but just a little bit preparation and brainstorming will go a long way to the execution portion. You will be surprised at the result.

I spent time planning this out, and it all didn't go to plan, but as you can see I can't really go behind the motherboard tray like all the newer cases. Not to ***** my system, but to show you that it is doable if you put some work in, and that I am surprised you don't have UV zipties. THat would compliment it very well :thup:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Hope this helps!

Above everything else, the color is awesome! :attn: But I agree with the others who say you can manage the cables just a wee bit better. I understand you don't have a easy case, and that's fine (mine is not wire-friendly either) but just a little bit preparation and brainstorming will go a long way to the execution portion. You will be surprised at the result.

I spent time planning this out, and it all didn't go to plan, but as you can see I can't really go behind the motherboard tray like all the newer cases. Not to ***** my system, but to show you that it is doable if you put some work in, and that I am surprised you don't have UV zipties. THat would compliment it very well :thup:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Hope this helps!

That is similar to how I would work my cables back when I was just a hardcore newbie and had an Antec Super-Lanboy Air. Except I pretty much just said screw the back-panel if it bends because of the wires. :attn:

That is similar to how I would work my cables back when I was just a hardcore newbie and had an Antec Super-Lanboy Air. Except I pretty much just said screw the back-panel if it bends because of the wires. :attn:

Ha! I Had that same case and know exactly what you mean!

It feels so wrong/wierd of me to say but I love that the cables are... ummm... robustly present! All the colors plus a sense of chaos works in this case. Pretty fabulous if you ask me...

Pic 1
Pic 2

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot buddy for the kind help. :) But I noticed through your pics that first, your case is a lot more spacious than mine. Second, you've got a lot less wires than I do. :) Please compare the previous posted reply about the wires along with the pics for comparison.
However, you are right! I can improve things a bit. I could group wires for example.
As for UV zip ties... had lots! Used them all and ran out! :p

By the way... very nice tidy PC you got there! :) Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Ha! I Had that same case and know exactly what you mean!

It feels so wrong/wierd of me to say but I love that the cables are... ummm... robustly present! All the colors plus a sense of chaos works in this case. Pretty fabulous if you ask me...

In the defense of the horrific cable management, I don't MIND it, but If it was cleaned up a lot more, i would appreciate the overall appearance of the cables since they are sleeved. I just don't like that they are all out and "wibbly wobbly" like a rainbow that's had too much to drink.

In the defense of the horrific cable management, I don't MIND it, but If it was cleaned up a lot more, i would appreciate the overall appearance of the cables since they are sleeved. I just don't like that they are all out and "wibbly wobbly" like a rainbow that's had too much to drink.

Hahaha! :D

But yes, PLEASE, fix those cables man! You may think those cables arent harming anything (Don't worry, one might try and bite ya), but they are. Guess what it is? Your airflow!
Think about it for a minute: Think of a birds wing. Think about the shape of it. It's more of a rounded oval with a rear tip that conjoins air masses back together. now think of a cable. Doesn't match, right? What happens is when the air hits those cables, they don't join back into one air mass. They just hit and scatter all over the place, making some really crappy airflow. The sole reason of peoples overheating GPU's.

But yes, Cables and air in a nutshell. :comp:

Thanks a lot buddy for the kind help. :) But I noticed through your pics that first, your case is a lot more spacious than mine. Second, you've got a lot less wires than I do. :) Please compare the previous posted reply about the wires along with the pics for comparison.
However, you are right! I can improve things a bit. I could group wires for example.
As for UV zip ties... had lots! Used them all and ran out! :p

By the way... very nice tidy PC you got there! :) Thanks for sharing!

Thank you :) And yes it's a full tower so I have a little bit more room... for comparison here is a picture of my old computer which was a lot smaller.

I'm not saying you need to hide your cables (far from it!), I'm just saying you need to present them in a more organized fashion. Like I said, when you have a day to yourself after your hands and fingers recover from all that sleeving, take a good hard look and see where you can zip tie and reorganize the clutter to make it into a really nice display of your sleeving job.

PS: Saw your youtube video and saw you have a mk3... I have a mk4 1.8t ;)

But yes, PLEASE, fix those cables man! You may think those cables arent harming anything (Don't worry, one might try and bite ya), but they are. Guess what it is? Your airflow!
Think about it for a minute: Think of a birds wing. Think about the shape of it. It's more of a rounded oval with a rear tip that conjoins air masses back together. now think of a cable. Doesn't match, right? What happens is when the air hits those cables, they don't join back into one air mass. They just hit and scatter all over the place, making some really crappy airflow. The sole reason of peoples overheating GPU's.

But yes, Cables and air in a nutshell. :comp:

Yes, theoretically you are right!:) However, I got that covered too. I’m a bit of a physics freak. I made sure that the case was well ventilated, ran a lot of tests including ambient, and internal temp and smoke tests to make sure there were no current loops…everything was in the green. When I over clock everything during games, everything stays in the green and this thing is air cooled. Sounds like a freaken jet engine when all 14 fans are maxed out! And if it were not for the ear muffs, I’d go mad!:screwy:
Thank you for your advice! Much apreciated! :)

Thank you :) And yes it's a full tower so I have a little bit more room... for comparison here is a picture of my old computer which was a lot smaller.

I'm not saying you need to hide your cables (far from it!), I'm just saying you need to present them in a more organized fashion. Like I said, when you have a day to yourself after your hands and fingers recover from all that sleeving, take a good hard look and see where you can zip tie and reorganize the clutter to make it into a really nice display of your sleeving job.

PS: Saw your youtube video and saw you have a mk3... I have a mk4 1.8t ;)

Oh yes! I can see how cramped your smaller rig was! But it's very tidy! :thup:Marvelous cable management!:thup: I’ll definitely improve mine! Just need to import UV reactive zip ties first!

As for my ride… glad you enjoyed that too!:D Cool you have a VW, and a Golf as well! I congratulate you on your refined taste!:cool: My favorite car brand of all time!:attn:

With all the colors and UV stuff going on in that case, I have to say that this is probably the only PC I've seen that looks better with crazy wire managing than it would if it were neat!

I like it! It truly looks like somebody climbed inside of your case with a rainbow of silly string colors and just went to town. And don't worry so long as you have a few fans blowing from low to high and the case is sealed up good with an exhaust fan or two running up high in the case, all of the heated air should dispel just fine, regardless of how many wires chop the circulating air up.

* Also looking at your 80's PC with the UV going gives me a strange urge to chew some Bubble Yum; too bad that all conventional/store bought chewing gum now uses aspartame (or other types of synthetic sugars) as an ingredient.

Oh yes! I can see how cramped your smaller rig was! But it's very tidy! :thup:Marvelous cable management!:thup: I’ll definitely improve mine! Just need to import UV reactive zip ties first!

As for my ride… glad you enjoyed that too!:D Cool you have a VW, and a Golf as well! I congratulate you on your refined taste!:cool: My favorite car brand of all time!:attn:

I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to cars. I like old ones, I like some new ones, and I really like custom built cars. Volkswagens are not bad cars. I just can't seem to find one that I REALLY like. :comp:

I like it! It truly looks like somebody climbed inside of your case with a rainbow of silly string colors and just went to town. And don't worry so long as you have a few fans blowing from low to high and the case is sealed up good with an exhaust fan or two running up high in the case, all of the heated air should dispel just fine, regardless of how many wires chop the circulating air up.
Thank you! :) I really do love the colors! :)
As for ventilation, all covered well! 2 X 120 mm high speed and volume ball bearing fans and 4 x extractor fans. Not including the PSU which I placed in a way to act as an extractor fan as well.

* Also looking at your 80's PC with the UV going gives me a strange urge to chew some Bubble Yum; too bad that all conventional/store bought chewing gum now uses aspartame (or other types of synthetic sugars) as an ingredient.
I thought aspartame was only used in diet gum? Just buy regular natural sugar gum. I think gum balls are still quite natural. Apart from the food coloring… :)

I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to cars. I like old ones, I like some new ones, and I really like custom built cars. Volkswagens are not bad cars. I just can't seem to find one that I REALLY like. :comp:

I could debate about cars a lot with you, but I don’t wanna violate forum rules of debating anything that does not have anything to do with computers!

But in a nutshell… VW has its dedicated admirers. You not only have to know so much about the company and its history to admire it, but also about the technology that revolves around this company. VWs, to their dedicated admirers, are viewed similar to how “Yoda” is viewed to a “Jedi”! “Star Wars” to a geek! N2 cooling to an extreme over clocker! :)

BTW my VW has been seriously modified. ;-) List is long, but if you were to ride with me, you’d appreciate my work on it! :)

Talking about work, did you check my other listed project? Project: Oil Rig? Hope you like the wire management and the subtle colors there. :)

Back