• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project XBOX case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

halo_2_rocks

OK a few weeks ago my Xbox died because i dropped it when i was bringing it from my moms house to my dads and one of the platters in the hard drive broke:mad: so anyways i didn't really feel like fixing it so i decided to gut it and turn it into a computer.:beer: and of course a thread is no good without pics
Here's the xbox gutted
DSCN0979.jpg

aand then i took out the metal sheilding
DSCN0990.jpg
DSCN0991.jpg

Then i took an old Emachine and that what ill be using for the computer parts
DSCN0988.jpg
DSCN0987.jpg

and then i gutted it and here are all of the parts I'm going to use
DSCN0989.jpg

heres a pic of the mobo in the xbox it going to take a bit of work with my dremal tool to get it to fit how i'd like it too.
DSCN0992.jpg

If you hadnt planned on it already, use the old Xbox PSU for the PC, it should have more than enough to power that ;)

I'm not sure which revisions use the standard ATX connecter for mobo on the Xbox, but my 1.6 does :)

If you look at this image you can see the Xbox PSU uses a 20 pin ATX connector for the motherboard.

The Xbox PSU only has 1 molex connector though, so you will need to use a splitter to power both HDD and optical drive.

my xbox psu only has a 12pin mobo connector but it was the first gen xbox that game out so it has all of the old stuff in it

Hmmm maybe I should do something like that w/ my friend's old XBOX (mobo broken and HDD broken). I've got a few spare parts to put in it.

ok I decided to take the psu and cd player and move them to a box becuase i cant fit then in with the rest of the stuff
DSCN0994.jpg

but the only problem is that the psu isnt long enough so it look like im going to have to take it apart and mount on the lid or something so it fits inside the xbox
DSCN0995.jpg

Try taking the PSU cable in from the other side man ;)

Looks like the only reason its not fitting is because you're making the cable take the long way around.

yea thanks i realized that after tinkering with it for a while man do i feel stupid

well heres the finished product didnt come out quite like what i had hoped but then i again i didn't really have the time nor the cash to spend on it but hey now i can at least say i turned an xbox into a comp. and i have no idea what im gonig to use it for either.:rolleyes:
DSCN1004.jpg

yay for the only good use of an e-machine :D nice clean project. Hopefuly no one come sinto your room and says "hey whats with this xbox" and yanks it off the cardboard :D

<see also my xgbox project in sig> went for the all inclusive setup. Still works and I use it from time to time. does have its share of glitches though (read limitations) but its always fun to put a computer into something other than a PC case.

On the note of used xboxes, you can pickup just the shells for really cheap on ebay, I think I got 2 shells for 30 bucks? one even had the wiring harness.

xbox cases: http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=64_50 not the original black case, but i'm sure there are other stores out there that have them.

great use of existing parts. I'd follow pik4chu's path and use a matx psu, laptop dvd drive and laptop hd if I was going to do something like this. I've got my spare xbox running Xebian Linux atm...it's so slow but it works (p3 733mhz, 64mb ram).

and just so you know, if the hard drive was the only thing that broke, you can still salvage the rest of the xbox. write me a pm if you wanna chat about that.

eh its ok i just trashed the part all of the xbox part with my potato launcher but that ok because i have another xbox i brought over from my dads house that works fine

Nice project. It makes me want to mod my 360. I like using my potato gun to kill pc parts.:)
DSCF0105-1.jpg

DSCF0104-2.jpg

Nice X-Box modding. I just started working on an old X-Box Friday night. Im gonna put an older computer in it for now and use prolly linux in it for now. If you have aim add me (mus1ang) or MSN ([email protected]). I might have a few ?'s on modding stuff.

Back