• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSN is down....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not really, I think it's blown way outta proportion...I mean, just cancel your card and get a new one... My debit card has been canceled and I have a new one now, so I'm just waiting on PSN to be back up...

I don't care a name and address, I give that to people all the time for shipping purposes.

Not really, I think it's blown way outta proportion...I mean, just cancel your card and get a new one... My debit card has been canceled and I have a new one now, so I'm just waiting on PSN to be back up...

I don't care a name and address, I give that to people all the time for shipping purposes.

Identify theft is a serious issue, I think you are understating the seriousness of this breach.

This is crazy, and apparently it is going to be down "indefinitely".

At least I don't have any of my credit card info on my psn account and I use a bogus aux email for my acct.

Anyone who has major info on their psn account I suggest you go through and change all your associated passwords. Since they did confirm that the breach allowed hackers to access emails and passwords. Also if you have a credit card linked to your account I suggest calling your card company and requesting a different number, they usually have it at your door in 2-3 days just an extra precaution.

Sony is rebuilding the PSN service and they "say" it should take a week. "Indefinitely" was a word used to get the article more hits...

Identify theft is a serious issue, I think you are understating the seriousness of this breach.

If someone can steal your identity with only your name and address, then I guess everyone should stop sending or receiving mail...

I've had a fraudulent charge in my checking account before b/c someone got my debit card info somehow, I canceled the card, got my money refunded, and all is well.

Sony is rebuilding the PSN service and they "say" it should take a week. "Indefinitely" was a word used to get the article more hits...

I see, well this was from an article I read the day it went down so they probably were actually unsure about when it would be back up.

I still don't believe their timeline though, and knowing the actual timeline doesn't help it get here faster. So, all we can do is wait it out and see.

MattNo5ss,

You are assuming that Sony has not lost any credit/debit card numbers, by their own admission they don't know. I am assuming they have, because even if they know for sure that they have lost them they would never admit to that liability without someone forcing them to. The penalties for losing a single credit card number are steep but consider that Sony had some fraction of 77 million credit card numbers in their system.

No, I'm not assuming no credit/card info has been stolen... I'm assuming they have been stolen, and everyone should cancel their cards and get a new one to be on the safe side, problem solved. Yes, it could be a hassle to some, but it guarantees no charges on that card or your account.

Maybe I am understating it, but it seems that simple to me, and I'm not worried since I have a new card and the compromised number cannot be used.

For people like you and me who are aware of the situation, it is not an issue. How about people who have not heard the news or do not check their statements regularly?

I was about to buy a used ps3 from gamestop or shop around lol. After seeing the new resident evil gameplay video on kotaku for the upcoming game this winter i think?

Then this hit just before i was about to shop around. Makes me a little worried but I think after the network gets back up I'll take a look around for a console, because i'm guessing there will be a bunch of angry people out there looking to dump there console, I'll reap the benefit hopefully :p

/shrug makes me glad I've done nothing with PSN and I have a CFW'd PS3 off of the internet.

lol I just recieved this email

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a
full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly
and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province,
zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation
Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN
online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip
or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent,
the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained.
While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time,
we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card
data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution
we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and
expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification
or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you
are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the
entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are
fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your
password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity
user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we
strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss,
we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements
and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of
this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working
around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as
possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will
continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to
protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and
secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority.
Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

At least you got an email.

Sony is making absolutely sure that they have very little in the way of a user base in the future.

The fact that they ADMIT that they didnt have their USER DB encrypted, they "dont" know what was accessed and they are evidently utilizing smoke signals and carrier pigeons to email their users has pretty much assured their lawyers will be purchasing new homes, cars and boats.

I had PSN+, I have bought games through the PSN, I am not going to be doing either in the future and Sony has made absolutely sure that they are on my NO NEVER NO WAY NOT A CHANCE list. Bravo Sony, you had managed to make it on to a list that is populated by 2 other companies. Good job!

I had PSN+, I have bought games through the PSN, I am not going to be doing either in the future and Sony has made absolutely sure that they are on my NO NEVER NO WAY NOT A CHANCE list. Bravo Sony, you had managed to make it on to a list that is populated by 2 other companies. Good job!

lol just curious what are the other two?

lol just curious what are the other two?

Directron: Never ever call your customer a liar and a thief. You should also be very wary of packing lists that you provided.

Sprint: Never ever overbill your customer to the tune of 4 months at once, and refuse to refund the money. Never try to claim fraud when said customer denies authorizing the charge and gets the money refunded.

That email Sony are sending out is missing one really important word-Sorry.

The word sorry will not make up for stolen identities and fraudulent credit card charges. There is also over a week of downtime, and there are people that would love to get online and play against their friends.

The word sorry will not make up for stolen identities and fraudulent credit card charges. There is also over a week of downtime, and there are people that would love to get online and play against their friends.
I never said it would. An apology would be a start, however, and show that they at least give a little bit of a crap about the people who pay their wages. Itsll take more than that to come back from the massive PR disaster thats kicking off now, but theyve got to start somewhere.

Back