• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU fan undervolting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kohit7

Registered
So I have the Hale82 750w power supply. It has been fine with delivering the power i need but since I installed another gtx 560 this thing has been loud and is the loudest thing in my case. I do believe that this psu fan is regulated by load and not temperature as it does not get hot. So i was thinking if i just installed a 5v resistor everything should be fine.

What do you guys think?

i think that the fan is hitting something in the psu(a wire maybe),thus making noise,leave it unplugged for a day then peek inside

i think that the fan is hitting something in the psu(a wire maybe),thus making noise,leave it unplugged for a day then peek inside

I would know if anything was hitting. It's just loud fan noise and i would like to know if undervolting the fan is a good idea or not

It's not, really. If the fan has a noise, RMA it. NZXT RMA is, in my experience, fantastic.

Its not that it is making an abnormal noise its just that it is too loud for me

Do you think that replacing the fan for another one is a better idea?

Not really, no. I would get a fanless unit if you really really don't like fan noise.
My HALE82-M sample had a very quiet fan at low and mid loads, if yours is making a ticking noise it's probably RMA time.
The fans are generally regulated by the temperature of the secondary heatsink, not many units regulate based on load.
Putting a resistor inline with the fan or replacing the fan can result in that secondary heatsink getting too hot and going BANG. That's beyond the ability of a PSU to kill you if you open it and touch the wrong part of course.

I have changed fans in psu's before. I dont think reducing the voltage is a good idea anymore so i think I just need to put in a noctua or something But i need to know if i should get a 2000 rpm fan or something

Back