• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU not strong enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiltz

my system was working fine before I O/Ced, however once I got up around 3.6Ghz I started getting a tone from the case speaker, as far as I knew that was only for CPU over heating however it shouldn't start doing that till 70C, my CPU doesn't break 30C acording to the MB's sensor so that wouldn't be it, same for the video card GPU, it doesn't have an audiable warning till the thermal threshold at 140C, it runs around 30C, now as I O/Ced higher the tone would happen more and more continuously while the system was under load and would start rebooting after the tone went off for a few.

if I put my hand behind the computer I can feel a good bit of heat from the PSU so it's definatly pushing it, so for the hell of it I turned off the 2 cold cathode lights in my system and ran the specific part of 3d marks that the tone would always happen, no tone, turned on the lights and the tone started up, turned them off and it went away, also if I back off the O/C or the video card or the CPU the tone goes away as well.

now could the tone actualy be from the system not having enough power or is it a conicident?

here's a list of everything in the system that's running off the PSU which is an antec 480 watt true power.
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0C @ 3.6ghz, 1.5875 Vcore
2X 512mb GeIL golden dragon PC3500 at 2.85V
Geforce FX 5900 ultra 256mb @560/964
Audigy 2
WD Raptor 36.7GB 10k RPM
20GB 7200 RPM ata100 drive (not sure exactly what type off hand)
3X 80mm fans at 12V
1X 80mm fan at 7V
1X 120mm fan at 12V
vantec fan controler
2X 12" cold cathode UV lights
2X 6" bubble lights (think all they actualy are is a plastic cylinder with an LED at one end)
floppy drive
250mb zip drive
16X DVD drive

i doubt the antec tp 480 is not strong enough for that system...

but it does look like you narrowed the problem down to the lights...can you put those lights in another system and get the same problem?

I know I have a Antec True Power 430Watt system and heres my specs

2.4 @ 3.15 using 1.525 Volts
2 Sticks of PC3200 XMS Ram using 2.5 to 2.6 volts (depends what mood im in :) )
9800 Pro 128meg @ 400core/350mem
4 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans
160gig and 2 60gig harddrives
CDRW and DVD drive
Audigy 2
12" UW Coldcathod Light

For my fact is that the system is loaded to boot. If I add 1 more fan onto the system I have harddrives spinning down and such. Then again that was just a couple different ways I tried hooking it up so who knows. But yet I can overclock her up to around 3.3+ with 1.65 volts or more and it will still run fine. So who knows, try different running fans off different power clips in the computer. Who knows you might have a little more power out of it yet but I bet its close.

Edit: And I also run a 250mb Iomega Drive here and there off the USB port, along with a Joystick sometimes.

well I did some more tests, even with the lights off it's back to doing that tone from the case speaker a lot when I had it up to 3.75Ghz, also i'm getting a good bit of fluctuation in my Vcore, I have it set to 1.5875, when the system is under idle the asus probe is reading it at around 1.65, under load it drops down to about 1.55-1.56, also even at 3.6 I was getting issues unless I backed down my CPU clock by 300mhz or my video card by 60mhz, or bring both down about half of that, but either the CPU at 3.6 or the video card at 560 work fine, just not together.

I got a huge case with enough room to add a 2nd PSU above the current one and a 350 watt antec in my closet so i'm gona add a second PSU, I could have sworn there used to be a sticky here about how to wire a system up to use 2 PSU's but I can't find, was figuring I could just get a relay to start the 2nd PSU when the 1st powers up but is there a better way of doing it?

Back