• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU temp monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neonblingbling

What is an easy way to monitor my temp? I was gonna try MBM5 or something, but I couldn't find my mobo. :bang head I usually use speed fan, and it doesnt have it. :bang head What is a program I can use?

On the same note, what is the ideal temperature for a PSU? I am considering leaving mine on 'silent' all the time, but idk how to tell if its getting to hot or what not....

Dang... I didnt want to get seperate sensor... Are there any big signs that my PSU is overheating?

neonblingbling said:
Dang... I didnt want to get seperate sensor... Are there any big signs that my PSU is overheating?

Hmm big signs? smoke, flames , and a funny smell in the air can all be considered a big sign I would think :D

Seriously if you are monitoring your voltages and they suddenly drop that is a good sign you are starting to overheat.

Oooo... Hmmm.. I hope I can spot those signs.... Otherwise, I'll just have to watch the voltages ;)

Electron Chaser said:
Hmm big signs? smoke, flames , and a funny smell in the air can all be considered a big sign I would think :D

Seriously if you are monitoring your voltages and they suddenly drop that is a good sign you are starting to overheat.

This is not totally true, yet not totally wrong.

This is because most motherboards will start raping the voltage's on medium to high OC's. But once you take the settings down to default the voltages are normal.

One way to really tell. Stick your hand by the PSU's exhaust fan, if the air is comming out real hot, then odds are it is overheating. If it is cool to medium warm, the PSU should be fine.

One way to really tell. Stick your hand by the PSU's exhaust fan, if the air is comming out real hot, then odds are it is overheating. If it is cool to medium warm, the PSU should be fine.
Before I read yours that was going to be my suggestion.

Two votes for the hand behind the fan test. :D

Yea, that is a viable way to test it, but I was just wondering if there were more 'precise' ways of measuring it. Bah, as long as it doesnt burn down my house, I'm fine with my $20 PSU.

Sandra has something that says power/aux temp. I'm pretty sure it's the PSU cause it's constantly reading about 20 degrees higher than the CPU/board temps.

Sandra has something that says power/aux temp. I'm pretty sure it's the PSU cause it's constantly reading about 20 degrees higher than the CPU/board temps.
It can't be. There's no data being transferred from the PSU to any other part of the system. The PSU outputs a whole bunch of wattage, and, if you're lucky, a fan RPM sensor.

I'd have to agree with johan. There would have to be a sensor inside
the PSU for the software to read. No PSU has that as far as I've seen.

Another alternative is to buy digital indoor/outdoor thermometers
like this* and place the external probe inside the PSU.

If you like that how about a wireless one? ... *clicky*
The parts inside pose all sorts of possibilities. ;)

Hehe, I was eyeing one of those Indoor/Outdoor temp gauges when I was at Checkers Auto parts when I was searching for red electrical tape... Does anyone have a pic of one of the sensors? I was thinking of sticking one on my GPU, and I guess now my PSU.

I am considering leaving it on 'silent' all the time, just for noise reasons, and if there was like no difference. But, I am afraid of it overheating because of the low air flow rate (Why didn't the company make it just on silent mode?).

If that isn't the PSU in sandra then WTF is it and why is it running 10 degrees hotter than everything else?

Living on borrowed time . . .

"Bah, as long as it doesnt burn down my house, I'm fine with my $20 PSU."

Not the way we see things here, go read the stickies under PSU's and you will see it in a different light.
http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

I don't know of *any* good, high quality PSU for twenty bucks. Fortron, Sparkle, Antec, Thermaltake and a few others make good PSU's, but none for twenty bucks.

I invite you to enter, read and get yourself a PSU education.
http://www.pcpowercooling.com

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

It's been said many times before, "The PSU is the most overlooked component in computers," and a $20. PSU doesn't even begin to measure up. Let a word to the wise be sufficent, and have a nice day. Huney.

If that isn't the PSU in sandra then WTF is it and why is it running 10 degrees hotter than everything else?
Heck if I know. Ambient temp being misread? All I know is that it cannot be the PSU.

Three votes for the hand behind the case ;) The psu has hs's on it and if a lot of heat is being exhausted out, obviously the psu is producing a lot of heat, hopefully most of that heat is going out the back, but still.

Feydd said:

That is usually the PWM sensor. This means that it is the power mosfets for the CPU, usually located right next to the CPU Socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back