• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulling a fast one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I've been looking for weeks to purchase a Asus VG278H 3D screen and today noticed what appeared to be sales of that screen, a couple in fact for $50 less then many other vendors. When visiting the websites, I noticed that in all the descriptions, there is never any mention of the 3D shutter glasses being included, and even the stock images used, although being of the VG278H, have had the glasses edited out. When contacting one of the companies selling this model and asking to verify if it included the glasses or not, the CSR reported that it in fact did not include the glasses, which means they are advertising the wrong model. There is a Asus VG278HE model of the same exact screen, sans glasses and built in IR dongle/emitter to control the glasses, which normally sells for much less then what the "sale" is charging for it. Of the companies I checked, many have high restocking fees.

Buyer beware. I can't believe even (what appears to be) reputable companies are trying to pull a fast one. :mad:

[Update] The one retailer I contacted to question if this was in fact the correct model which included the glasses no longer appears to be advertising the wrong model anymore. [/Update]

Last edited:
Happens a lot, but sometimes the retailer doesn't know any better and inadvertently puts up the wrong model.

I could understand if they were advertising the wrong model, which could be the case here. However, all the retailers who appeared to be doing so were using the stock Asus images for the VG278H, sans the glasses which were a part of the stock images. Someone purposely edited out the glasses from all the images.

I also noticed something else which seems to be somewhat amiss; all the retailers appear to be using nearly the same exact item descriptions (order of information, format, etc). Maybe the retailers were just acting as a middle man for a drop shipper and just using whatever information the actual seller provided? :shrug:

Either way, still dubious in my book.

No doubt about it being dubious. A lot of stock images also come from Asus which may have only provided pictures of the model with the glasses.

Not every seller is tech savvy enough to notice the minute differences between models.

Back