• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump gave up the ghost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Yup, kicked the bucked. I was listening to some tunes and I started to hear this high pitched whine. I pin pointed where it was coming from and sure enough it was my MCP-655. I shut the main off and drained the system to check the pump. Nothing out of the ordinary. Cleaned the impeller, tiny dab of thin axle grease on the tip, put the impeller back, screwed the cap back on, connected it, filled the res, fired up the pump and no-go.

Checked and rechecked and sure enough it's dead :rain:

Worse part is I gave up my spare to another member because his pump died. I should've held on to it as I knew I would need a spare, but being the big hearted guy I am, I gave it to him to help him out.

Now I'm dead in the water with no spare pump, and of course I'm flat broke :bang head

Anybody got a spare I can use?

Man, that sucks. I'm just coming back from poverty myself, or I'd split my twins to help you out...I've only one top between my 355's.

No worries, appreciate it ;). Digging in my closet-o-crap I found a relic pump. I remembered this was an old swiftech way before the D5's. It was modded by non other than Captain Slug! He had it for sale years ago in the classies and I snapped it up just because it was modded piece from the master modder. I miss that kid. Would be nice if he dropped by and said hello.

Dusted it off, mounted it up and I'm bleeding the system as we speak :D

Now to save my pennies, cash in those cans and buy a new pump. I'll then store the museum pump away for another rainy day :thup:

Heh, give it a shiny dress up kit and a glass case!

Glad you're running, my museum is down to an old via aqua from waaayyy back in the day of 120V fountain pumps! :/

Glad that you had something to get her going again. Between my roommate and I, we have gone through 5 DDC's. I account for 2 of those, he has 3 under his belt. Both computers run basically 24/7, so it always sucks when 1 goes down. I buy extra used pumps off ebay just for this occasion. Nothing sucks worse than having your main rig down. It seems that they always seem to die during reboot after running long periods for me, and it is always the circuit board that took a crap. I use to rebuild them, but the replacement boards are crap if you can even find them anymore.

Glad it worked out for you for the time being. I couldn't go a day without my main rig, let alone take apart my big loop. (gasp)

Well I figured I might as well take the time to flush out the system, and fill up with fresh distilled so I'm good now. I feel so naked without the main. I'm glad I have a pos back-up rig, but nothing beats the main ;)

sorry to hear .... but......
welllllll.. i wouldn't be me if i couldn't find a way to make some fun out of it :

use this:

Jet-barrel-pump-rotary-hand-pump-fit-15-55-gallon-drum-adpic.PHP.jpg
and it'll do wonders to keep you in shape also :D

just remember to switch arms/hands every 10 mins or so
wank-muscle.jpg

:rofl: @ Rollie. Thanks, I needed a good laugh! ;)

mimart thx for the linky. I'll look into it :thup:

*Update*

Took the 655 apart to see what was wrong with it. Found some moisture inside ontop of the pcb. Tho it has some sort of coating to prevent moisture from penetrating the delicate electronics, somehow it got under one of the vrms :rolleyes:

After a few blasts of compressed air, some tissue and a air dryer :rofl:, it finally came back to life :D

Had it running on my kitchen counter with the lines inside the sink for about 5 hours. Reinstalled back in the rig and viola, back in action :clap:

welllllll.. i wouldn't be me if i couldn't find a way to make some fun out of it :

use this:

wank-muscle.jpg

I was thinking more like:

12946_muscle_arm.jpg

Sucks to hear Neb, hope you find some good cheap replacements soon!

That's great, did you find the leak in the pump. Or was it condensation maybe?

Thanks Atmin. Looking into replacements now ;) Better safe than sorry.

Unsure Johan. Might be condensation, but my apt. is cool @ 72f and I don't run chilled water. As far as I can tell I saw no leaks when testing for 5 hours as I had the back apart :shrug:

I'm thinking maybe I may have gotton careless somehow while filling/bleeding and somehow got spill-over that missed the rags/papertowels and that's what got inside. Unlike me to be careless as I'm anal :rofl:

WoW, After reading this thread, I'm going to buy a spare! Good to hear you got it running Nebulous :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thx Jesse. Yeah, always good to have a spare! Odd how the MCP-600 wasn't enough flow @ 700LPH. My temps rose about 10c. Once I swapped back to the 655, temps dropped back to normal 28-30c across the board.

Guess the 655 is a superior pump with better flow @ 1200 LPH

Thanks Atmin. Looking into replacements now ;) Better safe than sorry.

Unsure Johan. Might be condensation, but my apt. is cool @ 72f and I don't run chilled water. As far as I can tell I saw no leaks when testing for 5 hours as I had the back apart :shrug:

I'm thinking maybe I may have gotton careless somehow while filling/bleeding and somehow got spill-over that missed the rags/papertowels and that's what got inside. Unlike me to be careless as I'm anal :rofl:

Hopefully just a one off oddball. I tend to get the condensation problems one in a while. Not in my pump mind you it's submerged.

My 355's are cut out on the bottom leaving an x pattern supporting the center ring, there's also vent holes drilled into the top sides. Cooler PCB=Longer life....it also gives errant water a place to leave via evaporation.
The devil's in the details!

use this:

wank-muscle.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Never seize to amaze us Rollie.

*Update*

Took the 655 apart to see what was wrong with it. Found some moisture inside ontop of the pcb. Tho it has some sort of coating to prevent moisture from penetrating the delicate electronics, somehow it got under one of the vrms :rolleyes:

After a few blasts of compressed air, some tissue and a air dryer :rofl:, it finally came back to life :D

Had it running on my kitchen counter with the lines inside the sink for about 5 hours. Reinstalled back in the rig and viola, back in action :clap:

Happy to hear you brought your D5 back to life! Yeah, I would think some fluid got away from you but nonetheless it works is all that matters now.

Also, I like how you told us the difference in temps based on the flow of your loop. Everything counts. 1.0-1.5 GPM is the sweet spot.

Back