• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pushing 8 core hard????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
My computer buddy borrowed my 8 core rig for a while and has called bs on us running above 5.0.
He brought the rig back and we tried our best to get 5.4 out of the thing, I've run 5.4 with the thing and it just was an unhappy puppy over 4.8.
SO putting on the not thinking cap we tore the thing down for a look, see.

got the thing nekked and found a whole lot of nothing.
I just happed to want to look at the connector for the 8 pin cpu power connector extention cable and to my suprise we found this bit-o-uglyness.
It cost me a power supply but i think I'll take that over the other options.

Attachments

• PIC_0883.JPG
    PIC_0883.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 204
  • PIC_0889.JPG
    PIC_0889.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 205
Loose connection shett shett. Glad it did not decided to dork with anything else. What does the input connector on the mobo look like?
RGone...

That "could" as well be caused by condensation. Not sure if you ever have run cold temps or perhaps high ambient humidity.....

Di-electrical grease or Petroleum Jelly if you fell the need....

the 8 pin cpu connector on the motherboard is in good shape, I think I need to make my own cables.

Dang .... Dat man he be pullin some juice der me thinks........:shock:

WTF C_D, you are lucky it didn't take the whole thing with it. Or start a fire now that would have been a sight. So the PSU's no good or just the connector? You could matbe solder them together??

I have pulled over 900 watts into my motherboard at times. There is alot of potential to damage if every power transfer device isn't doing it job properly. Only takes a little added resistance from a loose pin and heat builds up very quickly. Looser it is, faster it fries. I've been pretty lucky so far. Hope you can fix it.

-Rodger

all it hurt was the extension cable and power supply cable, I'll gut the power supply and make my own cables for it.

Oh yeah... how? :shrug:
It's something new, we are thinking about calling it OverClocking, or OC'ing for short. There's some guys around that are way up in the charts already and others of us are trying pretty hard to get good at this stuff too. Now me, I just forget how much vcore is suppose to be and it usually makes my computer sorta squeal a bit. But, that's how I get some of the highest watts out of it.

For real though, I don't know. It just eats up those volts and pushes out the watts. Got a line watt meter and a PSU watt meter on it and have seen it over 900 watts on the PSU (that's the squealing part for real) and close to 900 on the line watt meter. Static watts are around 320 or so.

Why would it be doing this do you suppose?

-Rodger

Even though the FX series are power hogs, there is no way, even with extreme cooling and more voltage than you would ever considering putting into it, the system in your signature shouldn't be CLOSE to 900W. 600W...... maybe. Ok, with extreme cooling and a volt modded card MAYBE, LOL!

I don't have the answer, but there is just no way that could be correct... What were you running that it showed 900W?

I suppose by 'static' you mean idle wattage (never heard it called static before)? I think, even with SLI 580's and 2600K @ 5.4Ghz 1.5v, I was idleing around 150W... that can't be right either.

Your meters, are they including the monitors? That would be my first guess in looking at your avatar.

Mandrake was using a 550W PSU for his 8350/5850 Ithink combo and it ran fine untill he bought a GTX580. With both of those OC'd heavily the PSU would cut out. So he had to upgrade. I have 2xGTX580' and could run the OC'd to 950 core and 5.2 on my 8350 and a TX750 could handle it. Just saying that E_D is correct it's unlikely that you were pulling 900W.
I upgraded my PSU since because I've been getting stupider with volts I've unlocked the cards and push up to 5.6+ on the CPU with voltage that shouldn't be published in the open. If I followed your model my 1K PSU wouldn't be enough but it is.

So why would it be doing this? Do you have all your monitors and equiptment plugged in to a power bar? Then have your reading on that?

Mandrake was using a 550W PSU for his 8350/5850 Ithink combo and it ran fine untill he bought a GTX580.
Close Johan, it was a 650w Seasonic X series Gold, which I replaced with a Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w . To elaborate on what Johan said, I found when running the Fx 8350 above 5.2 with the 580 Lightning @ +150 v OCed 980/1120 when running the combined test in 3d Mark 11, using my Watt O Meter it showed I was drawing 710-720 W max during the test. Now I know the watt meter is 100% accurate and you have to factor in the efficiency of the PSU, but 700w + is not what I thought this system would be able to draw.

The most a 7970 can use without modifications is 300W (250W card + 20% power limit increase). So that means that CPU is using what, 500W at 5Ghz (leaving 100W for components)?

I just wonder if his reading is with using Furmark and another stress testing application at the same time...perhaps in that case it may be in the ballpark, but otherwise... that value doesn't seem right at all.

The most a 7970 can use without modifications is 300W (250W card + 20% power limit increase). So that means that CPU is using what, 500W at 5Ghz (leaving 100W for components)?

I just wonder if his reading is with using Furmark and another stress testing application at the same time...perhaps in that case it may be in the ballpark, but otherwise... that value doesn't seem right at all.
I agree with you ED I actually posed the same question a while back, whether it's actual or not IDK, it sure doesn't seem right but who knows. I know what I've seen with my Rig benching. Though the GTX 580 Lightning is less efficient then the 7970. I'm also running 10 120mm 2200 rpm fans, 2 92 mm ones, a pump and accessories. I was still shocked by my 710w.

I agree with you ED. I was still shocked by my 710w.

This right here shocks me. The fact that our process of calculating might remotely be considering this sort of cpu power draw >> E_D wrote >> So that means that CPU is using what, 500W at 5Ghz (leaving 100W for components)?

That is stupid-ridiculous that a cpu, I said cpu, might even draw that much power. We know they draw a lot of power. The cooling we have to run to bench over 5.0Ghz is stupid-silly for the 21st century. I can heat my computer room with just he heat from the VRMs when my FX-8350 is running 5.0Ghz plus.

I think I was in the ROG forum in 2011 and read the VRMs of the CHV could pass 300 amps. Well if it could at 1.5Vcore that would be 450watts.

Maybe AMD needs to go to APU's just to save the world. Stick to 4 cores and no L3 cache eating transistors. 500 watts for a cpu? Freeken mind blowing that we would be even considering such a number trying to get to the bottom of a power consumption question. No d*mn wonder these entry level boards cannot handle an 8 core FX when pushed. It certainly is drawing more power than it ever should for a freeken cpu today.

Oh heck frick it. I still like my FX-8350 at 4.7Ghz on air for video editting. Gawd it is fast. I may have to paint my cooler a green color, so I can say I am working with the green world. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Back