• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 temporature related damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When i first recieved my computer i experienced temps up to 95 C because the zalman 9500 had bent coils preventing the fan from spinning. It was clocked at 3.2ghz and the problem wasnt discovered for about 24 hours with several of those being with the computer under load. I recieved a blue screen restart twice within that time.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5989/underclockedhs9.jpg

on ut3 frames drop from over 60 fps to 35 at times of heavy interaction with players ie vehicles and players on screen as well as environments

Riva tuner will let you monitor the temps.

You got 11k in 3dmark06 at default settings?

its supposed to be 3.2 ghz and the grapghicscard is factory overclocked. i should be getting into the 12ks I think the cpu is damaged.
please click on the image link to see my underclocked problem
underclockedhs9.jpg

When i first recieved my computer i experienced temps up to 95 C...It was clocked at 3.2ghz
(scratches head) So, you bought the computer already overclocked or you overclocked right away after receiving it?

whats the temp in the room? The zalman hs is that the smaller one? I am pretty sure that that can't keep up with the heat the quad puts off. It might be ok at stock volts and a warm room(22c). How is the air flow in the case? as for the 6x, open some thing up(that takes some power), watch cpuz and it should change to 9x. There is a function in the BIOS to disable this from being able to step down and up.

(scratches head) So, you bought the computer already overclocked or you overclocked right away after receiving it?

The computer was bought through ETC_Computer overclocked by them. I have a 1 year parts warranty on even the overclocked parts. the fan was blocked because the coils were dented preventing the fan from spinning.

What board is this one?

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L (Intel G31,1333FSB,2DDR2-800,GbLAN)

the cpu cooler is Zalman CNPS9500 AT Pure Copper Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler.

is the Zalman Fan CNPS9700LED Cooler much better? im thinking i may upgrade it if it has a decent performance increase.

...sheesh this is what happens when people just go out and buy random stuf...u need to do ur research before hand to avoid such dramatics..

How much did you pay for your computer? (that mobo looks old)

Is your fan still damaged..i assume its fixed now?

reset your q6600 back to default and to a prime 95 all nighter that should tell u weather your cpu is damaged or not.

Personally i would take your system back and shove it their faces...and buy from a more respectable and reliable company whom build pc's :)

...sheesh this is what happens when people just go out and buy random stuf...u need to do ur research before hand to avoid such dramatics..

How much did you pay for your computer? (that mobo looks old)

Is your fan still damaged..i assume its fixed now?

reset your q6600 back to default and to a prime 95 all nighter that should tell u weather your cpu is damaged or not.

Personally i would take your system back and shove it their faces...and buy from a more respectable and reliable company whom build pc's :)

I unbent the coil that wasnt allowing the fan to spin.. the temp doesnt go into the 90s anymore.

worst comes to worst, you could take your comp back... you aren't close to the end of your warranty year, correct?

things don't sound all together stable at the current time, and it is possible that you damaged your proc. but let's do a few diagnostics.

one of the problems that i ran into in my first build was ram instability. this was because my ram was rated for a much higher voltage than what i was feeding it.

run memtest x86. that might determine if your memory is to blame. you might have to increase the ram voltage if that is the case. also, if you would, post a screen shot of the "memory" tab in cpu-z. that might help as well... you might have unconsiously overclocked your ram or something to that effect.

however,

Is the Zalman Fan CNPS9700LED Cooler much better? im thinking i may upgrade it if it has a decent performance increase
The Zalman 9500 and 9700 are both overpriced and overrated, IMO. The 9700 is a good CPU cooler, but only it if you can find a used unit for significantly less than retail price. Personally, given Zalman's competition and the noise produced at full ran rotational speed by both the 9500 and 9700, I'd stay away from both of them. Zalman's claims of ultra quiet are only true if the fans aren't at high speed. That claim is an obsolete leftover from years ago when their competition was immature and we had crap like the Thermaltake Orbs (not referring to their new models.)

For a modest price with excellent performance, I HIGHLY recommend either the Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer or OCZ Vendetta 2. Both of those are great performers. The 9500 was not a very good choice for an overclocked Q6600. It's my guess the computer builder used it because it looks so good and he could claim "aftermarket cooling." BTW, I have run overclocked computers on all the CPUs I've commented on in this post. (Check out systems 2, 3, and 4 in signature and you'll see I put my money where my mouth is.)

Alright, after a bit more thinking about this: The 9500 should be sufficient (but very little headroom) for cooling your Q6600 to 3.0GHz, but not above that. Now that's assuming your room's ambient temperature is not too warm and that your computer's case is well ventilated, and that the CPU heatsink is properly mounted. Considering that your 9500 was physically damaged, you should probably remove it and remount it. Whatever damaged your heatsink may have upset the mounting integrity.

worst comes to worst, you could take your comp back... you aren't close to the end of your warranty year, correct?

things don't sound all together stable at the current time, and it is possible that you damaged your proc. but let's do a few diagnostics.

one of the problems that i ran into in my first build was ram instability. this was because my ram was rated for a much higher voltage than what i was feeding it.

run memtest x86. that might determine if your memory is to blame. you might have to increase the ram voltage if that is the case. also, if you would, post a screen shot of the "memory" tab in cpu-z. that might help as well... you might have unconsiously overclocked your ram or something to that effect.

however,
memtest doesnt work on my 64 bit windows.

http://www.memtest86.com/ (Gzip) bootable iso burn it to disk...and boot up from start (it does work, i have 64 vista runs on boot start)

as i found out the hard way...memtest86 is a awsome tool to use...unlike anything windows offers in terms of diagnostics..it helped me resolve my cpu issue...(faulty ram was casuing crashing when oc my quad)

but before u use prime and mem test...put everything to default values..and check the memory voltage specs required to run on ur mobo (check manufacturers website for ur mem)...once everything is set to default..and your 100% sure...then run tests overnight for both memory and cpu ul then know if anything is behaving out of the ordinairy.

If it runs fine on default clock it back to 3.2 and play around with the volts...usually 1.35-1.4 v core for ur quad...But..i rekon its ur mobo thats limiting ur oc abilty TBH

Q6600 GO stepping @ 3.2ghz 1.35v/ac freezer 7 (38 idle 57 100% load) (8 x 400 fsb)
4gb Kingston pc 5300 oc 800mhz 5-6-6-18-2T
Asus Rampage Formula
His Radeon 4870 @ 35% fan oc 790/1100 @ 55 idle/71 load
western digital 500gb sata 2 @ 7200rpm
OCZ GameXtreme 600w
19 inch AMW lcd monitor
Vista home premium 64bit

http://www.memtest86.com/ (Gzip) bootable iso burn it to disk...and boot up from start (it does work, i have 64 vista runs on boot start)

as i found out the hard way...memtest86 is a awsome tool to use...unlike anything windows offers in terms of diagnostics..it helped me resolve my cpu issue...(faulty ram was casuing crashing when oc my quad)

but before u use prime and mem test...put everything to default values..and check the memory voltage specs required to run on ur mobo (check manufacturers website for ur mem)...once everything is set to default..and your 100% sure...then run tests overnight for both memory and cpu ul then know if anything is behaving out of the ordinairy.

If it runs fine on default clock it back to 3.2 and play around with the volts...usually 1.35-1.4 v core for ur quad...But..i rekon its ur mobo thats limiting ur oc abilty TBH

Q6600 GO stepping @ 3.2ghz 1.35v/ac freezer 7 (38 idle 57 100% load) (8 x 400 fsb)
4gb Kingston pc 5300 oc 800mhz 5-6-6-18-2T
Asus Rampage Formula
His Radeon 4870 @ 35% fan oc 790/1100 @ 55 idle/71 load
western digital 500gb sata 2 @ 7200rpm
OCZ GameXtreme 600w
19 inch AMW lcd monitor
Vista home premium 64bit
The memory itself isnt overclocked its pc6400. i will burn a disk later on tonight once my brother comes home. I didnt do any of the ocing it was done for me by ETC Computer. So you dont believe that the fan not working intially didnt cause the problem?

Back