• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 temporature related damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it is very possible that something happened, but, i am just trying to get a little more information to make sure that there isn't some small setting that is actually screwing with the stability of your system.

and if we exhaust the possibilities of other things that it could be...you should definitely take it back...

Um, I didn't see this mentioned yet before.........your multiplier being 6 instead of 9........did it come without speedstep and the proper programs disabled in the bios? Plus I'd definitely look into sending it back as it was damaged either by shipping or by them.

Edit - I'd make a list of the parts and price them yourself if you can get a refund for the lack of protection they provided for system and see if it would be better to buy the parts individually and build it yourself. I'm sure you'd save alot of money that way, plus it's a learning experience that can be truly enjoyable and you'll have a real sense of accomplishment when it's all said and done.

I think (not to sure ) that most all CPU's have a auto shut off feature built into them . I know AMD's do and if the CPU got to 95c you would not be playing on it now . as 70c is the top end of most CPU's .
Are you getting any random blue screens still?
have you set you CPU to run at its normal setting as I see it your CPU is not even OC'ed at all more like under clocked . the Q6600 should be 2.4GHz with a X9 multiplier and I do not see that with the screen shots you have provided .

yup...jsut set it all to DEFAULTS..then test everything..only way to make sure its working and if it keeps..or happens to BSOD crash overheat woteva..then chuck your pc into a back ov a truck and drive it into the front window of the store..and if its a online company mail it back to them and write a note saying "u owe me my money" HAHAHAA...

ok sorry but seriously just test each component logically..set cpu back..2.4ghz ( 9 x 266)

do you have the latest stable bios version for ur mobo?

boot bios and reset everything..to default..your comp should read your quad at 2.4 if it doesnt set it to the above value and set it to auto volts. You said your mem is at default stock values leave it that way..once all this is done run prime 95 for at least 20 mins to see if stays stable if it does..run it all night long and that will determine your components are safe. (this goes with mem test for ur mem modules). If it all checks through then you can stary attempting oc knowing everything is a ok...but again...id be surprised if you could clock to 3.2 with that mobo of yours..(budget board) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

to be honest i doubt ur cpu would be damaged especially since its a GO..although it reached 90 deg its not like you were running it for weeks on end...

btw..when did you purchase this system and for how much if i may ask?

Last edited:
if you are comfortable with returning it, and getting your money back, building it by yourself will be great.

you will know your hardware in and out, and you will have resources like this forum to help you through the process. hopefully, you'll even be able to save money.

if not, doing what reznik said is the first step. isolate each component until you find out what is going wrong...

yup...jsut set it all to DEFAULTS..then test everything..only way to make sure its working and if it keeps..or happens to BSOD crash overheat woteva..then chuck your pc into a back ov a truck and drive it into the front window of the store..and if its a online company mail it back to them and write a note saying "u owe me my money" HAHAHAA...

ok sorry but seriously just test each component logically..set cpu back..2.4ghz ( 9 x 266)

do you have the latest stable bios version for ur mobo?

boot bios and reset everything..to default..your comp should read your quad at 2.4 if it doesnt set it to the above value and set it to auto volts. You said your mem is at default stock values leave it that way..once all this is done run prime 95 for at least 20 mins to see if stays stable if it does..run it all night long and that will determine your components are safe. (this goes with mem test for ur mem modules). If it all checks through then you can stary attempting oc knowing everything is a ok...but again...id be surprised if you could clock to 3.2 with that mobo of yours..(budget board) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

to be honest i doubt ur cpu would be damaged especially since its a GO..although it reached 90 deg its not like you were running it for weeks on end...

btw..when did you purchase this system and for how much if i may ask?

980ish shipped with upgrades to the graphicscard, extra ram, upgraded hdd, an d windows vista 64 bit

how the hell are you guys able to keep it in the 50s at full load?
Skills :beer:. Also, the zalman's are not the greatest coolers, alot of guys are using TRUE's, Ninja's (personal air cooling favorate), and water (What I'm using now). Alot of people also have high powered fan's blazing in there case, keep there cases cleaned up, keep the ambiant air down...etc. there are about 100 different variables

The Zalman 9500 and 9700 are both overpriced and overrated, IMO. The 9700 is a good CPU cooler, but only it if you can find a used unit for significantly less than retail price. Personally, given Zalman's competition and the noise produced at full ran rotational speed by both the 9500 and 9700, I'd stay away from both of them. Zalman's claims of ultra quiet are only true if the fans aren't at high speed. That claim is an obsolete leftover from years ago when their competition was immature and we had crap like the Thermaltake Orbs (not referring to their new models.)

For a modest price with excellent performance, I HIGHLY recommend either the Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer or OCZ Vendetta 2. Both of those are great performers. The 9500 was not a very good choice for an overclocked Q6600. It's my guess the computer builder used it because it looks so good and he could claim "aftermarket cooling." BTW, I have run overclocked computers on all the CPUs I've commented on in this post. (Check out systems 2, 3, and 4 in signature and you'll see I put my money where my mouth is.)

Alright, after a bit more thinking about this: The 9500 should be sufficient (but very little headroom) for cooling your Q6600 to 3.0GHz, but not above that. Now that's assuming your room's ambient temperature is not too warm and that your computer's case is well ventilated, and that the CPU heatsink is properly mounted. Considering that your 9500 was physically damaged, you should probably remove it and remount it. Whatever damaged your heatsink may have upset the mounting integrity.

you think the OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler is good for a q6600? its cheaper from etc than the zalman 9500

if the ocz vendetta 2 is better what kind of improvement can i expect?
It depends on the CPU. I don't recommend messing with the PC much right now. If I were in your shoes I would return the PC, get my money back or exchange. If you take your Heatsink off, I bet it will void any warrenty of yours, so proceed with caution

you think the OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler is good for a q6600? its cheaper from etc than the zalman 9500
Both of those I recommended are heads and tails better than a Zalman 9500. The 9500 is a four year-old design, already three generations old.

If installed correctly with good thermal paste, both V2 and Sunbeamtech are good for at least 10-15C better under load than the 9500.

You will also see people recommending the Scythe Ninja - another good choice, at least their latest version.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (acronym "TRUE" - apologize for the guys to lazy to spell it out for those just learning). It's great, but is expensive and often is only mediocre if you don't modify it. NOT recommended for those purchasing and installing their first aftermarket CPU heatsink.

you think the OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler is good for a q6600?/QUOTE] Yes, check system number 4 in my signature: Q6600 overclocked to 3.5/3.6GHz full load 24/7, room ambient is 74F - current core temps are 54-57.

Both of those I recommended are heads and tails better than a Zalman 9500. The 9500 is a four year-old design, already three generations old.

If installed correctly with good thermal paste, both V2 and Sunbeamtech are good for at least 10-15C better under load than the 9500.

You will also see people recommending the Scythe Ninja - another good choice, at least their latest version.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (acronym "TRUE" - apologize for the guys to lazy to spell it out for those just learning). It's great, but is expensive and often is only mediocre if you don't modify it. NOT recommended for those purchasing and installing their first aftermarket CPU heatsink.

you think the OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler is good for a q6600?/QUOTE] Yes, check system number 4 in my signature: Q6600 overclocked to 3.5/3.6GHz full load 24/7, room ambient is 74F - current core temps are 54-57.

i would actually save money by switching it out! lol. any other suggestions?

You could do better by getting a ultra chilltech CPU cooler . 30c idle to 50c loaded OC'ed to 3.4GHz .

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../8580-ocz-vendetta-2-cpu-cooler-review-9.html

see for yourself personally i woulda went for the ocz 2 if i could get the bloody B**** to fit on my mobo...it would have been a big improvement over my Ac 97...meaning if i had enough of a temp drop i could run at 3.6ghz..since it boots up fine but doesnt maintain good temps at load with my ac.

yeah im going to get the oc2 now. as long as its not pushing the 70s it should be fine right?

Back