• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quesiton about OC, Ram and voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

De Gecko

First I went through a Asus P6X58D-E that would only detect 8 out of 12 gigs of ram (after re-seating the cpu for the fifth time it slipped out of my fingers and bent like 6-8 pins, so that voided any return) BYE BYE MOBO #1, RIP

Then I bought a open box Asus P6X58D Premium for about the same as a new P6X58D-E, it detected all 12 gigs of the ram immediately before making any BIOS changes, after manually setting the ram to 1600mhz and the timings to 8-8-8-24 and the Dram to 1.65v and the Qpi to 1.35v I would crash EVERY SINGLE TIME right when windows would come out of the blue welcome screen and load your desktop, so I just put it at 1333 with 7-7-7-20-60. I was hoping a new BIOS would come out would eventually fix the problem. Two new BIOS updates came out but didn't help, on the third new one it fried my mobo when I flashed it (ended up being a blessing in disguise).

I RMA'd through Asus and got the same mobo back supposedly fixed but it still wouldn't post, I sent it back for a advanced RMA and they said they would make sure I get the same model but a different motherboard this time, I asked for it to please be tested before shipping and they said no problem. BYE BYE MOBO #2 RIP

HELLO MOBO #3 MY BESTEST BUDDY EVER.. almost
When the advanced RMA mobo came the serial number indicated it was indeed a different mobo and it had the BIOS I had working BEFORE I tried flashing to the new one which ruined my 2nd board, I fired it up and after a month my computer was finally fixed. I said lemme try the ram again at 1600 just for kicks, first time I set it to 1600 I ACTUALLY MADE IT TO THE DESKTOP WITHOUT FREEZING. But the win was shortly lived, crashed 5+ times a day, but the fact it would make it to the desktop every time made me realize the open box P6X58D Premium was also defective.

So I put all the settings back to auto and started fresh, I TRIED EVERYTHING including - changing the timings to 9-9-9/10-10-10/ QPI up to 1.4v/LLC enabled and disabled, CPU diff amp +800 + CPU clock skew +300/ tried 160blck using a 10 memory mult, 200 blck using a 8 memory mult/ ich up to 1.3v/ changing the UCLK to slightly above 2x the dram frequ, tried 1N and 2N.

Now with some of these settings I could pass prime 95 for 2 hours but then after I shut it off I would freeze while my comp is practically idling or when I go to shut it down. After hundreds of hours reading guides/tinkering I eventually just said this OCZ ram is junk and that has to be the problem. (But there's always something poking at me like dude it passes prime 95 and memtest there has to be a way!)

Earlier tonight I remembered that the QPI Data Link is literally the only thing I have not tried, every guide I read always says lower the QPI Link Data Rate to its lowest setting (Not Slow mode though) Which is 4800MT/S which is what I always set it to (which goes up when you up the BCLK.) So since it was never 100% stable I tried the 2nd highest setting which is 5866MT/S and after 160 BCLK it goes up to 7057MT/S.

After Prime 95 for a hour it didn't crash, now obviously that doesn't mean its set in stone, I came up with a little method that I assume helps me determine if the overclock is stable a little bit quicker then just letting Prime95 run for hours. I will run Prime 95 with Large Blends and also open up firefox and have 3 ESPN videos playing all at once and if that doesn't insta crash me I then close firefox after a few minutes and do a Superantispyware High Boost full virus scan to completion. So far which has only been about 2 hours now I haven't had a crash yet, but I'm baffled and looking for input on the following questions.

BTW as you see from my screenshots I have my cpu OC'ed to 4.0 which is the highest I can go with it being rock solid and without breaking 1.4v, I don't feel like it is somehow the route of my 1600mhz ram problem because all my original tests I used to get 1600mhz ram was wit the cpu at stock.

A: Can anyone make sense of why upping QPI Data Link against people guides is some how possibly my golden fix?

B: With LLC disabled I need 1.4v vcore instead of 1.35, most of the info on the web I have read says if you enable it you aren't protected against voltage spikes and your chip will probably die sooner.

C: If you can have your cpu oc'ed to 4.0 with 1600mhz ram with 160 bclk wouldn't you be better off doing that rather then 200 bclk and a lower memory multiplier?

D: How are my temps? 1.4Vcore 1.31 under load and 1.36 idling.

BIOS -
52598022.jpg

BIOS -
72478020.jpg

Ram Timings -
ramwa.jpg

CPUZ + Real Temp Results after a hour
15831929.png

79026382.png

Any help is greatly appreciated, I just feel like I got jipped putting this computer together, the ram which was crazy expensive won't run at 1600, my mobo has the dreaded 91xx marvel sata 3 controller that makes getting a SSD not nearly as good as it should be unless I want to spend even more money and get two of them to put in raid 0 and then who knows what type of problems I'll get into.

i7 960 3.2 @ 4.0, Asus P6X58D premium, 12 Gigs of OCZ gold 1600mhz 8-8-8-24, Corsair Hydro H100, 1TB Samsung 7200rpm HD, 750 watt ThermalTake PSU, Nvidia GeForce GTS 250, Azza Solano 1000r Case, Windows 7 64bi

Last edited:
Back