• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about managing (and viewing) Intel Raid 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dim1014

Hey guys! I have just recently converted my setup from using 2 separate RAIDs to a single RAID 10.

I used to have 2 drives split between a Raid 0 and a Raid 1. I purchased 2 more and converted the whole setup (4 drives) to a RAID 10.

I installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager because that's what I had before (and then promptly downgraded to 8.8 after my drives kept locking up and crashing with 8.9), and noticed that I can't really see the inner workings of the array, but rather just a generalization.

I expected to be able to see which 2 drives are grouped together in the bottom level RAID 0 and how they are mirrored with RAID 1. Instead, the console just shows all 4 drives as being generically in a RAID 10.

Is there something I am missing such as a good utility or tool to better monitor the array? Or is using the Intel tool just the standard?

My main concern is that if a drive crashes, and then a second one crashes (unlikely, I know), it is not arbitrary to know which 2 drives can crash with the array remaining intact. If a drive does crash, would it notify me with some useful information as to what part of the array it is affecting, etc?

If it matters: I am using the ICH10R Intel Raid Controller on a Gigabyte GB-EX58-UD5 motherboard and 4x Caviar Black 640gb drives.

Thanks for reading!

That is correct in essence that is a raid 10 setup. The intel storage manage does a pretty good job of making sure everything is redundant and slightly user friendly. Unless you go to a standalone raid card that is about as good as it gets. As far as benchmarks I just use hddtach.

okay, in that case, thanks! I'll check out hddtach too

edit: scratch that.. i just tried and it is not for windows 7 :p

Back