• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about PSU-PC Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yiannis667

Registered
Hello , i used to run a core2 duo motherboard and cpu with 4gb ddr2 ram with a TAGAN 600 watt psu .. Everything was working fine i could play almost all games with no lag at any resolution settings

Since then i upgraded cpu to corei7 930 and mobo to gigabyte x58 ud7 and got me corsair XMS 12 gb ddr3 3 channel..Below i describe the rest of my system as it was b4 the upgrade ( same things except cpu,ram,mobo )

6 usb devices
5 140 mm led fans
1 230 mm led fan
2 wd hard drives at RAID 0
1 ram cooler KINGSTON Hyper X fan
Themaltake watercooling system
Swiftech XT cpu waterblock
1 Northbridge Mobo waterblock
1 Nvidia gtx 285
Intel core i7 930
Gigabyte x58 ud7
Corsair XMS DDR3 1333 mhz 12 gb ( 6 x 2 gb )
TAGAN PIPELOCK 600 WATTS PSU
Sound Blaster x-fi FATALITY

I notice that since i updated my system components ( ram,mobo,cpu ) and when i run games at MAX i experience LAG lately at specific <<demanding>> scenes within a game.. ex. assasins creed 2 when i fight a lot of people at once..

I do have the latest drivers and everything is tuned up fine , do you think my PSU is OVERLOADED or getting OLD and cant handle-produce enough power for my components / causing the lag ?

What video card?
What temps do you have in load for CPU and GPU? Did you monitor your CPU/GPU frequencies during games?

What video card?
What temps do you have in load for CPU and GPU? Did you monitor your CPU/GPU frequencies during games?

how do i monitor frequencies during game ? ( dont understand that )

XFX GTX 285

this period is really hot were i live(30 celcius outside temp MAX) , i can only tell idle temps with fans at low, CASE TEMP went from 23c to 32 celcius MAX ( with the hot days lately) REALTEMP cpu average on all 4 cores 42-45c and GPU idle temp 51-52c ( it used to be 43-45c but as i said the weather temp increased 8 to 10 c last week )

RivaTuner, MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z for GPU.
RealTemp for CPU.

I suspect some CPU/GPU throttling during games.

for gpu i have EVGA PRECISION , for cpu i have real temp , but what is that throttling you are talking about ?

so i run evga precision and real temp and what do i watch for ?

With Precision you can monitor your GPU temps and frequencies.
With RealTemp you can monitor your temps and if you're in throttle you'll see a LOG in Thermal Status area.

Back