• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about replacement Mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kai_Force

My friend dropped off his computer the other day. I found it its got a dead ASUS A8M2N-LA motherboard. They no longer make these, and since it uses a GeForce 6150 LE chipset, i was wondering if i could get another mobo with that same chipset. The thing is, I really don't want to have to install all the programs again, i just want to be able to plug in the HDD and have it work.

My question is, will the HDD only work on the SAME exact mobo? Or will one with the same chipset do fine?

Sometimes it'll work fine, sometimes it'll crash and burn. I've even had success swapping out a P4 for an Athlon, since both boards used similar Via chipsets. OTOH, I've also had problems going between nearly identical boards, too... it seems to be kind of a crapshoot.

This one would be a good bet as a replacement, since it's an Asus OEM model. The chipset is not quite the same, but it's similar enough that the existing drivers should work, and at very least I'd think you could get it into safe mode to uninstall any old drivers.

i always thought it had to be the exact mobo .. on another note see what you can find as far as a better mobo .. know its a pain for install of OS but he'd probably be extremely happy with a fresh insall ... Come on ... go the extra mile for a friend !!

What do you have to lose by trying? Is this mobo an OEM out of a Dell or something?

from ebay search seems to be out of a compaq/hp .. but dang i dont think id buy one of those for that price .. i almost sure you can find a better board .. otherwise just pick up the eact one and hand him his pc back as quickly as possible ..

what cpu is in it ?

if the board was the only thing bad i'd suspect the psu's 5vsb rail or caps on the mobo.

i just switched from an nforce 2 chipset board to another nforce2 board, had to reintsall smbus drivers and maybe sound. usb drivers/devices were uninstalled and reinstalled

my old psu destroyed the motherboard because the standby power(5vsb) was not well regulated (sometimes) during plug in(it can go back to normal and disguise the problem). symptoms are a hot southbridge and no post, by that time the board is already damaged so check the psu. I think it damaged my keyboard since some sources say that usb and nic (lan) is powered by 5vsb so that it can wake the computers from standby either via keyboard or lan boot. I had some problems getting the pc to boot before it totally failed. it would work normal when it posted. Other than that, none of the components failed since they were not powered during the psu "failure" (cpu, ram, hdd, dvd-rom).

This happened in the summer when I was moving the computer to a cooler location and then back up to my room. the many plug ins must have sent short duration unregulated power(faulty psu) to the board one too many times.

if it's sata make sure the compatible drivers are installed (i'm not sure how)

edit: ok i googled ASUS A8M2N-LA and i see that hp sells it (oem only board I suppose). i'm guessing this is an hp machine and since hp is cheap on parts I'd DEFINITELY suspect the psu as the cause(what you are suppose to do to test faulty 5vsb is either check the caps on the 5vsb in the psu or get a multi meter and try to read the output watching it fluctuate during a plug in/psu switch on (away from any motherboards). it might vary from too high(12v) to normal in that instant which is what can mask the problem.

edit2: so the third google result showed that hp uses that mobo in the hp model m7580n computer, i G'ed it again and i get this
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/hp-m7580n,review-810.html

it has a bestec psu, a 300 watt one, the 250watt ones bestec 250-12e were known for taking out motherboards when they "died" because there was no overvoltage protection on the 5vsb. I didn't even know about this, since I had one, I have my friend's broken one on me as well. if you google for the bestec model 250-12e failure, you might come across a review that stresses a "dead" bestec to see what the problem is. that's how i know the minute 5vsb instability might be the cause of your friend's woes. it seems that other than the bad caps on the 5vsb along with no overvoltage circuitry on 5vsb, the psu is quite decent(it took a giant beating in the review and survived) in supplying it's power, at least it won't get overloaded too easily at spec.

I have a question for you though, how old is the system and does your friend do heavy tasks? (i'm what you consider heavy(+maintenance) and mines lasted 6 years so i think I got lucky)
psu's have caps rated for certain temperatures and since electrolytic caps can dry out, a low resource user might postpone such a failure if only by a few years by not heat stressing the system or unplugging it.

this is all really assuming that it's an hp machine(gateway, acer, emachines are suspects in cheap parts dell, sony, apple who knows). also it depends on what version of windows is installed, if it's oem then it won't be a valid licence anymore on a different motherboard.

try getting the same chipset northbridge and southbridge and if it's retail windows then it will likely just work with minor dirver issues. getting compatible sata drivers will allow you to boot.

Last edited:
vgta88, thank you for your effort on the matter.

You are correct, it is indeed an HP Pavilion a1600n.

I happen to have a multi meter, and will check the psu and get back to you.

(I'm still pretty sure the mobo is fried though, because when you plug power into the PSU, the computer automatically turns on...)

mine does that too but my power button is broke/stuck .. so my pc is on 24/7 .. if it shuts down i have to unplug and then plug the psu back in .. just been to lazy to rip this piece of junk apart

Yeah, I would look at the power switch. You can test for a bad ps simply by disconnecting its wire lead from the mobo and jumping the pins with a screwdriver blade or something. Don't hold the blade across the pins more than a moment or it will turn the computer off. Just a quick bridge and remove. ATX power-on uses a momentary impulse and if you hold it too long it will power down, which is what is happening when a ps goes bad.

Last edited:
Turns out the PSU is perfect with the multi meter test, I tried another working PSU as well, mobo acts the same, only fans turn on.

But now I'm not sure where to get a new motherboard, the ones suggested are out of stock.....

I'm guessing buying a nicer one from Newegg and reinstalling their data is a must now...

be sure to post what ya find first maybe someone can help finding one cheaper

EDIT:

they are pretty cheap as it is so never mind

man i always thought the mobo had to match .. not just the chipset .. had something to do with hardware changes and microsoft .. but hey give it a shot and let us know cause it would be interesting to know the answer ..

technically you only need the chipset drivers to work to boot into windows right? then from there reinstall internet and graphics?

yeah but what windows does he have on it .. i guess that should have been asked first before i got all torn between the options :D

just get it and if it doesnt work than oh well .. its cheaper anyways to get a board from the egg as opposed to finding the exact board for more money ..

pop it in and i works great !!
pop it in and you have o re-install windows - great too !!

Back