• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about replacement Mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i just ask cause who knows how e acquired the pc and how windows got on there .. many diff possible scenarios

Its actually a she, in a family of pc n00bs. So im sure all the software came with it xD I found out recently that they thought only hp monitors work on HP comptuers. So you know what kind of people im dealing with.

I happen to have a multi meter, and will check the psu and get back to you.

(I'm still pretty sure the mobo is fried though, because when you plug power into the PSU, the computer automatically turns on...)

there is no need to get back to me on the psu voltages. I can search the review that demystifies the bestec problem(not now will get to) but as it stands now, I haven't looked up that model HP Pavilion a1600n to see what psu it comes with.

I don't believe in testing a psu without a load so I have no idea what you did. a jumper(14 to ground or if its 24 pin then 16 to ground to turn on) and some crappy loads( something you can lose or a suitable resistor) would simulate more of a real world test since voltages vary depending on load. I also don't know if the problem is so fast that it won't show up on a multi meter.

as for the "the computer automatically turns on", that also happens sometimes with a broken cpu. since you are fixing it for him(her), I imagine you might have a spare to test with or already have that ruled out.

mine does that too but my power button is broke/stuck .. so my pc is on 24/7 .. if it shuts down i have to unplug and then plug the psu back in .. just been to lazy to rip this piece of junk apart

he meant his psu unit has a faulty switch at the back that is always on. if he meant the case power switch, that can easily be solved by just unplugging the wires on 2 jumper pins and using those pins to turn the computer on and off.

I do not recall what happens when a case power switch is pressed before plug in and left on indefinitely since holding a power button usually turns a machine off the second time.

@ kaiyou might want to google how migrating a oem install on dif motherboard works. you might be able to get microsoft to activate it. that is the main problem. I don't have much experience with that.

@ above poster, yeah that is funny but also sad at the same time.

technically you only need the chipset drivers to work to boot into windows right? then from there reinstall internet and graphics?

I think the most important part is a compatible southbridge since southbridge drivers handle the ide/sata. ide is kind of generic but sata is usually a different beast for every chipset. you need these drivers for the os to recognize the drive. i bet you can try booting it in your normal computer just to see if it will get anywhere close to desktop. it will be better to just tell us sata or ide since a sata solution will be confusing to me. i'd rather try to list a solution in a new post.

Last edited:

you might want to google how migrating a oem install on dif motherboard works. you might be able to get microsoft to activate it. that is the main problem. I don't have much experience with that.

could you do it for us :D

could you do it for us :D

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6338353#post6338353

post 14 might be something else to it.

extra southbridge info
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mothe...-nodusm3-various-hp-media-center-systems.html

also if you can make any sense of this
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=154

As I mentioned above, when set for a full power load the 12E is actually doing well here. The 5VSB spike is well under 5V, and the 12V spike is well under 12V both times. But that's small consolation when one is looking at one's DMM watching the 5VSB shoot all the way to 6.5V and start counting down its progress in nuking your mainboard. Even though the above shots have the unit in spec, based on this behavior alone the Bestec has failed these tests.

So, to recap, we have two failures so far: no short protection on 5VSB, and a 5VSB with a flimsy sense of self control. But, to its credit, it's still working. So, let's get it into the hot box.

Last edited:
Back