• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about y splitters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

novabean22

Registered
I have two y splitter cables for pwm fans. can I plug the two y splitters together, like run the 2 fans on one splitter and then plug that into the second splitter and plug one more fan into that second splitter, so basically it would be 3 fans on one mobo fan header, and would I still be able to control the speed, it would read it as one pwm fan right?

Before you do anything, you need to check the wattage/amp draw of each fan and make sure you're not going to overload the motherboard's fan header.

You need to figure out how many amps the motherboard header is rated for. If you go over it you will most likely blow it.

That works. Arctic even makes those provisions with some of their PWM fans with built-in splitters. Just make sure that the RPM signal (third wire) comes from only one fan.

Just make sure that the RPM signal (third wire) comes from only one fan.
Exactly.

As far as the power from the motherboard, that is a very fair warning. 12W(1A) is a pretty good limit for a lot of these headers. So just take a look at the back of the fan and see what their wattage/amperage rating is to make sure the header won't go boom. :thup:

Again, a generally accepted answer is 12W/1A for mobo headers. Since you have the specs for the fans, add them up and if it is under it, then you shouldn't have a worry.

Current (Ampere) 0.4A
Power consumption 4.8W

I would prefer you using a 3way fan splitter than 2-2way splitter. As per a friend of mine the amount of A/W used will not be the same per fan (the single fan will receive more).

I don't know the exact math and if in this low consumption it would even matter but such products do exist.

you might also want to consider a PWM fan controller I think its safer to spend $25 in a Fcontroller than risk ur mobo if in doubt.

BTW those fans looks nice how do they perform? on paper they sound decent

Back