• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question for addressable RGB electronically literate individual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larryccf

Registered
okay, i'm nearly illiterate re electronics. I had bought a Silverstone addressable RGB fan, and even though it was plugged into a RBG port of the proper voltage, about 25% of the LEDs fried while i was watching or tweaking it with MSI's Mystic Light software, which controlled the color and flash pattern on the silverstone unit pretty decently. I don't know if my mobo fried it or it was faulty, but after the initial LEDs fried, the rest worked fine. I returned it (thank you amazon) and ordered a Corsair HD140 with addressable LED loops around the frame

I go to the MSI mobo manual, to find the JCorsair connector and it indicates it controls or powers the Corsair Fan/LED hub, but with a notation that both fans and LEDs cannot be operated simultaneously - so i assume they're referring to controlling them with MSI's software, but reading at the Corsair web, they show a video with the fan/led hub controlling both the fan speeds and LEDs with Corsair's software, so i assume it's a software thing.

I only bought one fan, i don't want to have to install a bank of equipment to run the LEDs on one fan

the Corsair LEDs have a separate cable with their own plug, and they are 5v. The MSI has a 5V port on the board for 5V addressable RGB LEDs

is there any reason i can't just plug the corsair fan into it

here's the text from MSI's manual re the 5V port

" The JRAINBOW1 connector supports up to 72 LEDs WS2812B Individually Addressable RGB LED strips (5V/Data/Ground) with the maximum power rating of 3A (5V). "

Obviously it's refering to LED strips, but 5V is 5V - can 3 amps damage the fan's LED's?? BTW, the fan's LEDs show a .47A draw

never mind - i found the answer - you do have to order and install a bank of equipment

Back