• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about hoses...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

Alright, So I have never built a custom loop before, but plan to do so shortly.

From reading on the forums I have learned there are 2 main kinds of hoses
One cheap route and 1 better route ( the names slip my mind at the moment)
I have learned that pressure fittings are the way to go? And to have quick
disconnects if possible?

My next question would be from all the pictures I have seen, there have been
hoses that looked like hoses, flimsy and what not, and then some were actually
shaped. How exactly did they get that way? Is there something special you do to it
or do you buy them that way?

So I tried looking up those acrylic pipes, and I just haven't found much info on them
How are they made to fit so perfect? Do you have to have them custom fabricated
or is there something I'm missing?

Also I have a question about having more than 1 radiator.
Do you have to have a separate pump and reservoir for each radiator?
Or can you just make it 1 big loop? And what is recommended when it comes to that?

My questions are in regards to running a 480mm radiator and possibly a 360mm Radiator
inside of a Phanteks Enthoo Primo case.

- - - Updated - - -

Also a recommendation for brands / sites to buy good watercooling hardware from would be great.
This is my first attempt at building a loop, I don't have any price restraints, and I'm super looking forward to it.

(sorry for multiple posts and not just editing, where I am the internet barely works to begin with and
the editing feature just doesn't work at all lol)

To answer your question yes you can just run one big loop as long as your pump can handle the head pressure. If you have not already done so please read the guide at the link above for watercooling basics.

As for good places to buy. I am going to assume you are in the US so, Performance-PCS and Amazon are where I get the majority of my parts. Stay away from Frozen CPU, you will have nothing but heart break there.

As for brands, there is a lot of reputable brands out there and it will ultimately come down to aesthetics a lot of the time on what the final parts are you use.

Last edited:
To answer your question yes you can just run one big loop as long as your pump can handle the head pressure. If you have not already done so please read the guide at the link above for watercooling basics.

As for good places to buy. I am going to assume you are in the US so, Performance-PCS

I've ordered from Performance PCS three times in the last ~month. Nothing but excellence there. All three orders shipped same day and I had them two days later. I highly recommend them, as will many others here.

I'll give performance PCS a look through right now, and I'll go through that forum again and probably again a few more times before I actually get home.
Again, I really appreciate your guys' patience with my probably silly questions. >.<

Also Frozen CPU isn't the same as FrozenQ correct? I see a lot of resevoirs branded frozenQ

Alright, I think I have a general guideline of what I want, for the most part.
Suggestions from there would be phenomenal, as I have no experience with
these components at all.

So the case is going to be a Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE (Black and Green)

The Resevoirs will be 2 FrozenQ LF Reaction UV Green Ehlix
( http://www.performance-pcs.com/frozenq-lf-reaction-160mm-reservoir-green-helix.html)
These will be somehow modded to show in the little side panel on the side of the case.

The Radiators
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Carbon Radiator - 420mm In the top of the case with Push / Pull fans
(http://www.performance-pcs.com/hard...r2-multiport-black-carbon-radiator-420mm.html )
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Carbon Radiator - 360mm(maybe 280mm In the bottom of the case.
( http://www.performance-pcs.com/hard...r2-multiport-black-carbon-radiator-360mm.html )

The Pump
I honestly have no idea where to begin on trying to choose one, I was hoping you guys could recommend in this are >.<

CPU Block
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Waterblock - Custom Modded Plexi - Biohazard (Subject to change, this was just a cool looking one that goes with the theme kinda)
( http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-supremacy-mx-cpu-waterblock-custom-modded-plexi-biohazard.html )

GPU Block
I want to have the Phanteks 1080 Block, but I have yet to find a place to buy it.
( http://www.phanteksusa.com/products/phanteks-gtx-1080-founders-edition-rgb-gpu-block )

Hoses
I haven't really gotten into the hoses yet, But I know It'll be something probably a nice UV Green.
I just have to really get into looking at that.

Please leave suggestions, comments, and criticism :)

No FrozenCPU and FrozenQ are different. Don't be afraid to shop on Amazon as well you can find good deals on there for water cooling parts depending what brand you are looking for.

Looks like we posted about the same time, I will compare things on amazon as well :D

That gpu block may not be compatible with the card you have. Make sure you check that in advance if buying.

Also, why 2 reservoirs.

The MCP50X Seems to me like it would do the job :)

I've read over the guide that was posted, and the 2 reservoir set up still confuses me just a bit.
So I would only need the one pump, correct? And that would run through both reservoirs,
And then to their respective blocks and radiators? Or would I need one pump per reservoir and rad?

- - - Updated - - -

I will double check for sure before any purchases are made. If that one doesn't work I'd be pretty sad, but its not the end of the world either.

2 Reservoirs is mainly for aesthetic, Like I said I have no budget limit so why not right?
And if each needs a pump then they will for sure be their own loops, one cpu and one gpu

I see now that the whole hard drive bay comes out from the back in the case, but that front cover doesn't seem to.
So I might go with just one, and cut out a nice rectangle there in that shield above the Phantek logo and just throw one
of The UV Helix Reservoirs in there. I don't know on the possibility of 2 yet ( I'd still like to) But I will once I actually get hands on :)

If you are running 2 reservoirs one reservoir can be anywhere in the loop. The second reservoir has to be before the pump feeding the inlet side of the pump. There is nothing wrong with having 2 resevoirs in the loop per se. It is just not something we normally see people doing. For what you are doing there is no need for the complications of 2 seperate loops. You have plenty of raddage and a pump with enough head pressure so you will be fine with a single loop.

Awesome, It's good to know I won't have to run a second loop. I'm working on a (Very terrible) Drawing with a rough Idea of how I want it to look.
The two reservoirs right now just depends on how much room I have, I know I can probably crunch the numbers but I'd rather just wait and see.

Alex (frozenQ) makes all sorts of shapes/sizes of res. He's pretty quick to respond to emails pretty much any time of day. Send him an email with your case and plans, he'll get you set up with some great reservoirs.

A successful water cooling build depends on lots of planning and research. Do not rush into buying parts or settling on a final design until you have spent exorbitant amounts of time planning and studying. Even then expect to run into problems and be flexible while working through the,.

If you do that you will be successful.

Back