• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick router question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amedeo602

Here's a stupid question...

I ordered a D Link 804 router and I have 2 computers. Do I use Cat5 to connect the NICs to the router? Or crossover? (I'm a networking newbie)

AFAIK, you need a crossover Cat5 cable when you connect two PC's that each have a NIC. In other words, you don't have a hub or switch that can handle the connection.

you will need to use a straight through or (regular) cable to connect the comps directly to the router i assume it has a built in hub or switch

OK
When you are hooking up you lan there are devices other than your computers such as switches hubs and routers. These devices switch the wires for you an you don't need a crossover then to do it. a computer nic doesn't switch the wires for you so the only times you would need a crossover would be to connect computer to computer or device to device. When connecting between device and computer a striat through is all you need. I would also highly recommend that everyone learns how to make the cables it is very easy and will save you money if you do it alot.

Back